The ACTUAL amount of interest occurred on loans clarification?

Watch
Ice Storm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#1
Hello,

Before I commit to the student finance loan. I have been doing some research and have a few questions regarding the actual amount of interest occurred on the loan.

I am still trying to find a definitive answer rather than the sugar coated, beating around the bush nonsense I have been told time and time again. I am simply after facts and figures not rainbows & unicorns.

My understand so far is the following:

A) Since I will be starting the course after 2012 and therefore apply for a loan after 2012 I will be on "repayment plan 2"

B) I will be charged interest on the loan from the day of the first payment is made.

1st instalment £750 = September
2nd instalment £750 = February
3rd instalment £1500 = June

C) I will be charged interest until the payment has been paid in full.

D) The interest will be compounded every month.

E) The interest rate whilst studying will be 3% + RPI ( which currently stands at 2.5% so therefore combined will equal 5.5%)


( Source : http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media...ide_1415_d.pdf - Page 10 & 11 )

Now I have quickly complied a spreadsheet.

Attachment = spreadsheet

In the spreadsheet I have kept it simple and basic as I can. I have based the data on a part time studying tuition fee loan of £3000 for 1 year.

Notes:
1) February additional instalment of £750 is added
2) June additional instalment of £1500 is added

Questions:

1) Can anyone tell me if the figures I have come up with are indeed correct? or have I completely misunderstood the whole interest situation?.

2) This may be a stupid question. But I understand that if you don't earn over the threshold of £21,000 that you don't make repayments however. Just to clarify, although you won't be making a repayment you will still be occurring interest on the loan every month until the loan is complete paid in full?

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media...ide_1415_d.pdf

( Page 11 - " From the date you become due to repay (after april 2016) until the loan is paid in full. Interest will be based on your income:
• £21,000 or less = RPI

• between £21,000 and £41,000 = RPI plus up to 3%, depending on income

• over £41,000 = RPI plus 3% )

So therefore the interest will still be ticking over every month right?.

Thank you for your time.

-Ice Storm
Attached files
0
reply
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#2
Report 6 years ago
#2
Hi there.

This is incorrect, the interest is not applied at a rate of 5.5% each month. I would advise contacting us on 0300 100 0611 where a repayments adviser can advise you of the specifics of your funding.

Thanks.
0
reply
Ice Storm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
#3
Thank you for your time and effort.

I phoned up the number you provided and spoke with an advisor called Nichole whom has assured me that it is not 5.5% percentage interest every month like I presumed and that it is 5.5% over a year.

A misunderstanding on my part regarding the meaning of " compounded every month " but now I understand that it is gradual.

Thank you for the help in clearing up the confusion.

- Ice Storm
0
reply
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#4
Report 6 years ago
#4
Hi there.

Glad Nicole was able to clear that up for you.

Thanks.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (43)
14.83%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.76%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.28%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.03%

Watched Threads

View All