The Student Room Group

Dentisry

Okay so I just got my AS results and they're ABBC (business, bio, maths, chem respectively). I'm going to be retaking both chem units and should be getting an A at the end of A2, started revision already :frown:. At GCSE I got A*AAAAABBBB.

In maths i was 1 mark off an A overall, and in bio 3 marks off an A overall.

Firstly, is there any point in remarking?

Secondly, is there any point in me applying to ANY uni for dentistry? Doesn't have to be good at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Not being harsh but for a dentistry applicant your GCSEs are below average and you will not get a second look with your AS levels, you're competing with straight A* and A students.

Best course of action is to not apply this year take out a gap year organise some voluntary work or work experience, for the gap year smash your A-Levels by getting A*s or As. And reapply during your gap year. Work on your PS in terms of extra curricular, demonstrating manual dexterity, communication skills you know the standard skills they look for and grades this year.
Original post by mrchemistry
Okay so I just got my AS results and they're ABBC (business, bio, maths, chem respectively). I'm going to be retaking both chem units and should be getting an A at the end of A2, started revision already :frown:. At GCSE I got A*AAAAABBBB.

In maths i was 1 mark off an A overall, and in bio 3 marks off an A overall.

Firstly, is there any point in remarking?

Secondly, is there any point in me applying to ANY uni for dentistry? Doesn't have to be good at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

First things first, it's a year away (roughly) to the exams, stop revising. You'll drive yourself insane if you start revision now. Use this time to digest what you've found out and relax a bit.

If you're not too fussed about paying for the remarks then it's probably worth a go, I'm a medic so hopefully a dentist can post and help regarding the worth of A's at AS level but I can't imagine it's the be-all and end-all :redface:

If I imagine myself in your position I would also think about resitting modules in chemistry to help bring that up, I'd go for the remarks in the other B's as well seein as they are so close to being A's, can't really hurt to do so :nah:

i would also still apply, research the uni's before applying of course to make sure you're eligible but it's worth a go, even if it doesn't go quite to plan next year you will no doubt learn plenty from it and if dentistry is what you want to do then you should go for it, no point settling now :noway:

That's my take on it, hope it helps :h:
Hi, i was really hoping someone could help me out, i'm seriously doubting myself and i need some advice, I would really appreciate if anyone answered

I got my gcse results yesterday and i wasn't thrilled about them but i was happy about them, because i though i did okay

i got:

A*- Arts and Design
A- English Language
A- English Literature
A- Geography
A- Physics
A- Chemistry
B- Biology
B-Maths
B- French
Merit (equivalent to B)- I.C.T compulsory course

I'm going to the sixth form of my choice but at Enrolment the careers adviser said that biology might be a big problem and that i should look into other career options bc universities will not pick me and just "throw my file in the bin" .

I know that gcses' play a huge role in qualifying for dentistry and that my results aren't that good but i did my research and according to the 'Dentistry GCSE Requirements' page on the student room, i still meet the minimal requirements of 8 universities. So I was wondering that if I do really well in my A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Art & Design) and have lots of work experience and good UKCAT score etc, will I have a chance to compensate for my gcse results.

Also, I was thinking about doing a resit for maths in November 2014 to push my grade up. I'm not going to do that for Biology bc i though that getting a good grade in AS and A-levels will prove that i'm good at it.
Reply 4
Me too man i checked kings and they only want a B in english i got:

A Maths
A bio
A chem
A computing
A it
A rs
B physics
B geo
B english lit
B english lang
B product desing
C german
I spoek to my teacher and he said i can do Dentistry but it will be less likely and depends a lot on my Alevels. If anybody has got in with dentistry with similar or worse grades please tell me because im so scared at the moment
Regards

Quick Reply

Latest