The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Sports at Durham

Hey, I'll be a fresher at Durham this autumn :smile:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me first hand how is sports at Durham? I hear they have a wonderful sports centre, but is it worth the money if you also have a fitness at your college (Hild Bede in my case)? Also, is anyone training judo? I was hoping to pick up on it after training professionally for 10 years, but is Durham judo focused more on the beginners?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by katemaria

I was wondering if anyone could tell me first hand how is sports at Durham? I hear they have a wonderful sports centre, but is it worth the money if you also have a fitness at your college (Hild Bede in my case)? Also, is anyone training judo? I was hoping to pick up on it after training professionally for 10 years, but is Durham judo focused more on the beginners?

Durham offers a vast range of sports and societies to choose from. They are offered at both a college and university level, so it depends how far you want to take a chosen sport, im not too sure about judo but if you find others with the same interests then you encouraged to set up your own if the University does not already offer this. Durham offer two sports facilities at both Queens Campus and Durham City, as far as it being worth the money it depends if you would benefit from the facilities at either centres.

Hope this helps :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by katemaria

I'd advise you to check out the university fitness suite and your college gym, before committing to either one.

I do Judo, I can tell you that it's focused on all skill sets, from the complete beginner to people with your experience and beyond. We also compete in BUCS, which involves carious universities around the country. If you have any other questions regarding any aspect of Durham or it's sports, feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 3
Sorry a little bit off topic but does anyone know anything about Boxing facilities at Durham? I train close to Durham anyway but curious as to whether there's facilities closer if I'm short on time or something.

Quick Reply

Latest