The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask current students what it's like to study and live at Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Hi folks,

Please note that this thread was started on Results Day 2014. The students manning the thread for us were only on hand for that day and therefore no longer able to answer questions on this thread.

If you have any questions, we'll do our best to answer them, but please note that it'll be staff answering rather than students.

Thanks,

Georgie - Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
what are the lecture hours like weekly for economics ?
Reply 62
Hey I'm doing my masters in civil Eng and wanted to know if Broad lane court or Ranmoor would be better for me?
How good is the university Hockey team or do you know if Sheffield has a good hockey club nearby?
Original post by Bmac1610
Hey I'm doing my masters in civil Eng and wanted to know if Broad lane court or Ranmoor would be better for me?

Broad lane court unless you want a 40 minute walk to lectures every day
Reply 65
Original post by Helloworld_95
Broad lane court unless you want a 40 minute walk to lectures every day

the advantage of ranmoor is that its ensuite. Does that make a difference?
Original post by Bmac1610
the advantage of ranmoor is that its ensuite. Does that make a difference?

Not really, the advantage of being so close to uni and paying over £1100 less more than makes up for the lack of en-suite.
Reply 67
I'm going to be a PG MRes student next September so I'll need a 51 week contract according to my course page. What options and price ranges are there?
Original post by lilGem
I'm going to be a PG MRes student next September so I'll need a 51 week contract according to my course page. What options and price ranges are there?

So you could go for uni halls, private halls or a private house. Uni halls are extremely expensive for 51 week contracts so probably don't go for those. Private halls around UoS will go from £4k for a basic room up to 10k for a one bedroom flat. Private houses will run you about 5k but you'll need to wait longer to apply for them and they probably won't be as modern.
Reply 69
Original post by Helloworld_95
So you could go for uni halls, private halls or a private house. Uni halls are extremely expensive for 51 week contracts so probably don't go for those. Private halls around UoS will go from £4k for a basic room up to 10k for a one bedroom flat. Private houses will run you about 5k but you'll need to wait longer to apply for them and they probably won't be as modern.

I think I was thinking more of private halls- are there any recommendations for any?
Original post by lilGem
I think I was thinking more of private halls- are there any recommendations for any?

I don't know about all of them because there's quite a few, new ones pop up every year. IQ, Vita and Omnia are supposed to be fairly good although Omnia's a bit pricey for what you get. Aspect 3 is ok. Google around and you should get a decent idea of what's good and what's not.
Hey!

I am an erasmus student and I applied for university accommodation, which is Endcliff for erasmus students. I was wondering if you know whether erasmus students will be placed together in a flat? I heard a lot of first year students go to Endcliffe and I would prefer to live with people my own age, so I'm thinking of maybe looking for private accommodation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending