What are our rights towards this issue Watch

ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically, some time ago an agent from New Call Telecom came into my sister's flat and offered broadband services to which she replied that she needs to think about it.

Last week, a lady (forgot her name) called and I was talking with her and told that we've decided to cancel the contract with New Call Telecom.
Recently, we've received a letter from them stating about activation of the Internet and phone line. They are supposed to come tomorrow for installation.

I phoned them yesterday and was told by a lady that they cannot disclose me any of the information.
Today my sister talked with a guy who told her she's in contract and do whatever we want to do... I suppose he doesn't care what's going to happen.

My sister is depressed and at the same time frustrated that companies create contracts without agreement of the customer.

Is it legal to make a contract when a customer clearly hasn't agreed to? What could we do next?

I'm frustrated both at my sister and the company. My sister was supposed to tell me all about this but I only found out last week when that lady was calling... And for the company, how can they create a contract if a customer didn't even agree with it being created.

In terms and conditions it says '9.3. Primus or the Customer shall have the right to terminate this Agreement immediately in any of the following events:9.3.1. The other party is in default of any of its obligations under this Agreement and fails to remedy the breach within a
period of fourteen (14) days after the date of the notice from the non-defaulting party to remedy the breach;
', as far as I understand, this means we can terminate the agreement within 14 days of its commencement?

It also says that a customer may terminate the agreement prior to initial term completion by paying flat rate of £5.00 for the remaining months (it's a 18 month contract), would that include only a broadband or also a phone line (on website it says broadband is usually £5.00 a month and phone line rental is like £15.00).
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ForgetMe)
Firstly; If your sister hasn't agreed to the contract, do they have any payment details? It seems strange they would even arrange installation without having payments.

Secondly; Even if you did start a contract there will be a cooling off period whereby you can cancel for free and only be charged for the services you have used. If you cancel before they install then you have not used any services and cannot be charged.

Thirdly; It makes sense that they will only deal with your sister if she was the one who formed the agreement. I can't understand why theres so much confusion here. Have your sister call up and say she has not formed any contract and wont be paying. If they think there is a contract then she wants to cancel it immediate and without penalty.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Firstly; If your sister hasn't agreed to the contract, do they have any payment details? It seems strange they would even arrange installation without having payments.

Secondly; Even if you did start a contract there will be a cooling off period whereby you can cancel for free and only be charged for the services you have used. If you cancel before they install then you have not used any services and cannot be charged.

Thirdly; It makes sense that they will only deal with your sister if she was the one who formed the agreement. I can't understand why theres so much confusion here. Have your sister call up and say she has not formed any contract and wont be paying. If they think there is a contract then she wants to cancel it immediate and without penalty.
She told me the day agent was here, the contract has been made and she gave her bank details which I think was so stupid to do. She did tell the guy today that she wants to cancel the contract but it seems that New Call Telecom doesn't want to. It was clear from the call that they do not want to terminate the contract.

Just read the reviews about this company and not a surprise, many many people dissatisfied and were not able to cancel their contracts within the time period given or had a lot of problems.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's normally a cooling off period. Is there anything in the T&Cs about this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (9)
33.33%
I really love the subject (10)
37.04%
I don't know what else to do (5)
18.52%
I can't get a job (1)
3.7%
My parents want me to (1)
3.7%
I don't know... I just do (1)
3.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise