AS History: I need to turn my D into a B

Watch
mustangmix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
To get to uni I need ABB and my AS results were BBD, the D was in AQA History. I got a d (51) in unit 1 and a c (67) in unit 2. to turn this into a B should I solely work really hard next year in A2 to turn it to a B or should I also re-sit AS history? If so, both units or just the D unit?
cjmro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello, well done on your results! I just got an A in a level History (AQA) so thought I'd share my opinion. You would make it a lot easier for yourself if you did resit rather than solely relying on your A2 units to bring up your grade but I personally wouldn't resit both units because A2 History is a beast on its own without having to do other units on top so I would suggest just resitting unit 1 with the aim of bringing it up to a high B or an A if possible. If you felt you were able to do this, your AS grade would of course average out more or less as a grade B (i.e unit 1 = A, unit 2 = C) and this would be relatively easy to sustain during your second year provided you work hard. If you tried to score as highly as possible on the A2 coursework this would also help keep your grade up and the coursework is a great component to help with achieving grades as the A2 exam is challenging to say the least. Whatever you decide you should ask your teachers for their opinions too. Don't be scared of resitting to improve your grades but don't give yourself too much to do as the A2 workload for the History exam is heavy and you will also have other exams to revise for too. As long as you feel as though you're capable - resit. I think without resitting it is unlikely you would achieve a grade B in your a level overall. I hope that helped somewhat feel free to ask me anything
oliviate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mustangmix)
To get to uni I need ABB and my AS results were BBD, the D was in AQA History. I got a d (51) in unit 1 and a c (67) in unit 2. to turn this into a B should I solely work really hard next year in A2 to turn it to a B or should I also re-sit AS history? If so, both units or just the D unit?
Wow! We basically had the exact same grades for AS and for history! I got 51 in unit 1 and 66 in unit 2. I got both remarked, Unit 1 went down to 49 I think and unit 2 went up to 68 so I was no better off. I resat unit 1 this year with a little bit of revision and got an A so it can definitely be done and I don't think that paper sat alongside my A2s really affected them that much! May I ask what topics unit 1 and 2 were?
mustangmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by cjmro)
Hello, well done on your results! I just got an A in a level History (AQA) so thought I'd share my opinion. You would make it a lot easier for yourself if you did resit rather than solely relying on your A2 units to bring up your grade but I personally wouldn't resit both units because A2 History is a beast on its own without having to do other units on top so I would suggest just resitting unit 1 with the aim of bringing it up to a high B or an A if possible. If you felt you were able to do this, your AS grade would of course average out more or less as a grade B (i.e unit 1 = A, unit 2 = C) and this would be relatively easy to sustain during your second year provided you work hard. If you tried to score as highly as possible on the A2 coursework this would also help keep your grade up and the coursework is a great component to help with achieving grades as the A2 exam is challenging to say the least. Whatever you decide you should ask your teachers for their opinions too. Don't be scared of resitting to improve your grades but don't give yourself too much to do as the A2 workload for the History exam is heavy and you will also have other exams to revise for too. As long as you feel as though you're capable - resit. I think without resitting it is unlikely you would achieve a grade B in your a level overall. I hope that helped somewhat feel free to ask me anything
hi thanks for responding. yeah, i think i'll re-sit unit 1 i'll have less pressure to do amazing in the A2 and it's relatively simple things I need to learn
mustangmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by oliviate)
Wow! We basically had the exact same grades for AS and for history! I got 51 in unit 1 and 66 in unit 2. I got both remarked, Unit 1 went down to 49 I think and unit 2 went up to 68 so I was no better off. I resat unit 1 this year with a little bit of revision and got an A so it can definitely be done and I don't think that paper sat alongside my A2s really affected them that much! May I ask what topics unit 1 and 2 were?
woah yeah thats really strange. that's re-assuring i'll definitley re-do unit 1. unit 1 was 1890-1945 and unit 2 was the american colonies
speshulfarces
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Draw a horizontal line through the D and try to pass it off as a B?
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
mustangmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by German123)
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Isn't that just your opinion im worth more than grades on a piece of paper? I think im worth about as much as it. It's a brilliant material i've been using for a decade and i get so many different varieties of textural banters from using it!
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Before: AS History: I need to turn my D into a B

After: AS History: I need to turn my B into a B

There you go. You're welcome.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Isn't that just your opinion im worth more than grades on a piece of paper? I think im worth about as much as it. It's a brilliant material i've been using for a decade and i get so many different varieties of textural banters from using it!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads