The Student Room Group

Poor AS level performance - advice on what to do next?

I got my AS results this morning and I'm pretty disappointed with myself. I wish I had tried harder but I know there are different options with how I could move ahead.

I had overall a C in ICT which I'm fine with but the rest are not so good. C and a U (overall E) for business, U in economics and U in maths.

I'd like to continue doing A levels so I'm thinking I could resit the second paper for business and aim to get an overall C or possibly higher. Try my very very best and resit the whole of economics and drop maths.

Is this possible to do so or are there other ways to go about? Any suggestions? Thanks
Original post by Alex1397
I got my AS results this morning and I'm pretty disappointed with myself. I wish I had tried harder but I know there are different options with how I could move ahead.

I had overall a C in ICT which I'm fine with but the rest are not so good. C and a U (overall E) for business, U in economics and U in maths.

I'd like to continue doing A levels so I'm thinking I could resit the second paper for business and aim to get an overall C or possibly higher. Try my very very best and resit the whole of economics and drop maths.

Is this possible to do so or are there other ways to go about? Any suggestions? Thanks

You can definitely withdraw from A-level Mathematics, as you have done 4 AS. I think you have 2 options

If you think that it was your work ethnics that is to blame, I'd treat this as a wake up call and go to Yr.13 and work your very best to retake, your AS exams should become easier, with your A2 knowledge.

If you think that those subject is not for you, then you might need to think about what subject is your actual passions and you actually enjoy, now you know the difficulties of A-levels.

Finally, i would like to reassure you that a lot of people don't perform well in AS and you are not alone in your position.
Reply 2
Original post by MarvelAgent
You can definitely withdraw from A-level Mathematics, as you have done 4 AS. I think you have 2 options

If you think that it was your work ethnics that is to blame, I'd treat this as a wake up call and go to Yr.13 and work your very best to retake, your AS exams should become easier, with your A2 knowledge.

If you think that those subject is not for you, then you might need to think about what subject is your actual passions and you actually enjoy, now you know the difficulties of A-levels.

Finally, i would like to reassure you that a lot of people don't perform well in AS and you are not alone in your position.

I definitely did not put the effort that I should have into it and yep it's a massive wakeup call. I think I will do the resits. Do you know if I could continue onto A2 economics with the U that I currently have? or do I just go onto business and ICT next year? thanks for the reply
I definitely did not put the effort that I should have into it and yep it's a massive wakeup call. I think I will do the resits. Do you know if I could continue onto A2 economics with the U that I currently have? or do I just go onto business and ICT next year? thanks for the reply

I got a B C D in Business Studies, maths and physics - respectively.

What exam board were you with for Business studies?
Reply 4
Original post by Incubator
I got a B C D in Business Studies, maths and physics - respectively.

What exam board were you with for Business studies?

I'm with WJEC for all my exams except maths which was OCR.
I'm with WJEC for all my exams except maths which was OCR.

oh. I was with OCR for maths. I got an A in C2, B in C1 and E in M1. :frown: It averaged out to a C.
Reply 6
Original post by Incubator
oh. I was with OCR for maths. I got an A in C2, B in C1 and E in M1. :frown: It averaged out to a C.

Ah at least you did better than me. I had a U in C1, C2 and S1 haha. I thought C1 was alright though, C2 I didn't know where to start and I think with S1 I just gave up because I knew I was doomed. Didn't really enjoy maths anyway and I don't really need for what I want to do if I even get into uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I was in this situation two years ago.

I wasn't happy with my AS results I got at my Sixth Form but I still got through to A2. I didn't try for A2 and as expected, didn't get into University, even though I shelled out for re-takes.

So what I did was apply to college for a Level 3 BTEC and as of now, actually put as much effort as I could into it and came out with a DD*D* (A*A*A equivalent) and am just about to start Psychology at UofManchester.

As MarvelAgent says, you're not the first and you certainly won't be the last.

I'd like to add on that if you wanted to go to University, you've still got time to do retakes and boost your grades - and even if you don't get the A2 results you want, there are still a variety of options that will lead you onto a University Course.

In regards to seeing if you can carry on with Economics, talk to your teacher/lecturer, they will know what is best.

Above all though, stay positive and start planning. So you didn't get the results you wanted, it's not too late to do anything about them :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Evisector
I was in this situation two years ago.

I wasn't happy with my AS results I got at my Sixth Form but I still got through to A2. I didn't try for A2 and as expected, didn't get into University, even though I shelled out for re-takes.

So what I did was apply to college for a Level 3 BTEC and as of now, actually put as much effort as I could into it and came out with a DD*D* (A*A*A equivalent) and am just about to start Psychology at UofManchester.

As MarvelAgent says, you're not the first and you certainly won't be the last.

I'd like to add on that if you wanted to go to University, you've still got time to do retakes and boost your grades - and even if you don't get the A2 results you want, there are still a variety of options that will lead you onto a University Course.

In regards to seeing if you can carry on with Economics, talk to your teacher/lecturer, they will know what is best.

Above all though, stay positive and start planning. So you didn't get the results you wanted, it's not too late to do anything about them :smile:

Thanks for the support Evisector. Glad to see you doing so well after an unsteady start. I hope to be on the same boat as you after next year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest