The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Lampeter Students?

Hey guys,

I am studying Latin and Classical Studies at Lampeter in my Third year :smile: Here to help if you have questions :smile:

Anyone else out there coming to this wonderful town?

GemRus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm coming to Lampeter in September to study Theology with Education Studies. I was just wondering; what's the gym like on campus and the students union? I went to the open day in June but didn't get to see the gym, it was only mentioned that there was one there.

Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Reply 2
Hi PhillTSD!

The gym is really good! Quite competitively priced also, though I can't quite remember the exact prices but I'm sure I can find out for you :smile: It has a good range of equipment, from rowing machines to treadmills to a nice range of weight equipment too! :smile: If you have a look on the Lampeter campus face book page I can upload some photos of the gym and its equipment for you some time tomorrow, provided it is open! :smile: Hope this helps on the Gym front! :smile: As for the SU , its a really nice pub, it has a darts board and a pool table, with its great deals on alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks its great as you don't need to walk into town to have a good night out! There is also the club called the Xtension, where we do themed nights out etc. :smile: this also has good drinks offers and its attached to the bar! So its all close together! :smile:

I hope this all helps! :smile: I look forward to meeting you in September! :smile:

GemRus :smile:
Reply 3
Hey!

Okay sure, that sounds great! Thanks very much, I'll check out the page later then:-) & the SU/Xtension sounds great! Thanks for all the info :-)

You too!
Reply 4
Hi! :smile:

I'm glad I could be helpful! :smile: I should have the photos up by mid afternoon, hopefully along with some of the accommodation blocks too! :smile:

Enjoy the rest of your summer! We look forward to seeing you in September! :smile: If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, either on here or face book :smile:

GemRus
Reply 5
Hi PhillTSD,

Just letting you know that the photos are up, though the gym was closed today so I will go along tomorrow and get more from inside :smile:

GemRus
Reply 6
Original post by PhillTSD
Hi there,

I'm coming to Lampeter in September to study Theology with Education Studies. I was just wondering; what's the gym like on campus and the students union? I went to the open day in June but didn't get to see the gym, it was only mentioned that there was one there.

Hey im doing education as well might see you up there :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GemRus
Hey guys,

I am studying Latin and Classical Studies at Lampeter in my Third year :smile: Here to help if you have questions :smile:

Anyone else out there coming to this wonderful town?

GemRus

What are the classes like? The accommodation? The societies? The night life? Are there many jobs available? etc :smile: I'm hoping to study this subject or Classical with English! Is the language Latin hard?
Reply 8
Hi MollyO,

The classes are great! Small sizes, so more time with the lecturers. Great subject matter that is interesting and engaging aswell!! :smile: there are tons of societies, including most of the sports like rugby, football, hockey, netball, badminton etc and other ones like LARP, medsoc, cosplay, anime, performing arts, singing and so on :smile:
The nightlife is good, though obviously not like a city!! But we do have our own club on campus and a SU Bar :smile:
The accommodation is good, there are plenty of rooms available! Including ensuite ones :biggrin: very well priced as well!! :smile:
There are a number of jobs available within the university, like behind the bar etc, catering and also being a student ambassador :smile:
For me latin wasn't that difficult, it helps if you know another language already :smile: but the course is very in depth and gets the knowledge through in interesting and helpful ways :smile:

I hope this helps!! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GemRus
Hi MollyO,

The classes are great! Small sizes, so more time with the lecturers. Great subject matter that is interesting and engaging aswell!! :smile: there are tons of societies, including most of the sports like rugby, football, hockey, netball, badminton etc and other ones like LARP, medsoc, cosplay, anime, performing arts, singing and so on :smile:
The nightlife is good, though obviously not like a city!! But we do have our own club on campus and a SU Bar :smile:
The accommodation is good, there are plenty of rooms available! Including ensuite ones :biggrin: very well priced as well!! :smile:
There are a number of jobs available within the university, like behind the bar etc, catering and also being a student ambassador :smile:
For me latin wasn't that difficult, it helps if you know another language already :smile: but the course is very in depth and gets the knowledge through in interesting and helpful ways :smile:

I hope this helps!! :smile:

Wow, it sounds even more amazing :smile:
I'd be hailing all the way from Northern Ireland so I am trying to get a clear a picture as I can.

What is the library like? It's very scenic as I understand it?
Easy to make friends?
Reply 10
It is an amazing place to learn! :smile: I'm glad I can help!

The library is awesome, with two floors and the Roderick Bowen Library that holds one of the largest collections of Medieval Manuscripts in the country :biggrin: They have tonnes of books that are relevant to the course, and the opportunity to suggest resources for the courses within the library itself :smile:
YES! It is very scenic! Really beautiful to look at! Lots of green space and places to go :smile:
It is very easy to make friends here! We all end up being like a little family :smile: As we are quite small you will most likely end up knowing most people on the campus! There are many ways to meet friends, from the people you live with to your classmates and then societies buddies :biggrin:
Hi all,

My names Zed I should be coming to the Lampeter campus for archaeology in September whoo ! all I was wondering is what is the archaeology course itself like and does the Lampeter campus have a wrgaming society ? (with miniatures)
Reply 12
Hi Zed,

Whoo! I'm glad to hear you are decided on UWTSD for your Uni! As I am not on the Archaeology Course myself I can't really give you too much information, but you can find more information on the uni's website and search for Archaeology :smile:
As for the wargaming society? I am not sure, but there is always the opportunity to start one when you get here! :biggrin:
Though we do have many societies, like LARPing and RPG Games :smile:

Hope this helps!
Gemma
I'm doing Archaeology major minor but only 1st year and it's such a good course of what I've done so far by the way we go on loads of trips been to a lot of Welsh sites but they link to what you've been learning like when we did Romans we went to Caerleon by Newport in 1st Sem of 1st year you do study skills intro to arch and I think you can pick one if doing full course but those 2 are compulsory Intro to arch is what it says on the tin you look at how it started and you cover the whole history timeline from Neolithic to present time then you cover techniques but it's mostly history based for this you do 2 2000 word essays where you can pick from like 10 questions both times so always something you'll be interested in then this term I'm doing Intro to fieldwork and Land sea and skyscapes and we do a dig in May for 3 weeks :smile: want anymore info on it message me :smile:
Original post by Soph0208
I'm doing Archaeology major minor but only 1st year and it's such a good course of what I've done so far by the way we go on loads of trips been to a lot of Welsh sites but they link to what you've been learning like when we did Romans we went to Caerleon by Newport in 1st Sem of 1st year you do study skills intro to arch and I think you can pick one if doing full course but those 2 are compulsory Intro to arch is what it says on the tin you look at how it started and you cover the whole history timeline from Neolithic to present time then you cover techniques but it's mostly history based for this you do 2 2000 word essays where you can pick from like 10 questions both times so always something you'll be interested in then this term I'm doing Intro to fieldwork and Land sea and skyscapes and we do a dig in May for 3 weeks :smile: want anymore info on it message me :smile:
Thats amazing thank you I was really hoping for a response from a student ;D
Original post by GemRus
Hi Zed,

Whoo! I'm glad to hear you are decided on UWTSD for your Uni! As I am not on the Archaeology Course myself I can't really give you too much information, but you can find more information on the uni's website and search for Archaeology :smile:
As for the wargaming society? I am not sure, but there is always the opportunity to start one when you get here! :biggrin:

Hope this helps!
Gemma

Thats great thank yoouuu !!!!
[QUOTE=GemRus;52753153 Zed,

Hope this helps!
Gemma
Hello private messaging isnt working but I was on your tour of the campus earlier and I just wanted to say thank you it was great ! :biggrin:
I'm hoping to start at Lampeter in September too but will hopefully be entering year 2 of the Creative writing degree. I should be staying in one of the en-suite rooms (as I'm disabled), I'm actually visiting on the 17th and will be having my interview then.
Just wondering if any of the year 2/3 students are around to give me an idea of what it will be like to join later on in a course? I'm a bit nervous as guessing everyone will know each other well by then. Keen also to hear from anyone who will be living on campus or studying creative writing/similar? Final question, is anyone able to upload photos of what a typical room in halls looks like? I want to get an idea of size/storage etc. Thanks in advance :-)
Reply 18
Original post by GemRus
It is an amazing place to learn! :smile: I'm glad I can help!

The library is awesome, with two floors and the Roderick Bowen Library that holds one of the largest collections of Medieval Manuscripts in the country :biggrin: They have tonnes of books that are relevant to the course, and the opportunity to suggest resources for the courses within the library itself :smile:
YES! It is very scenic! Really beautiful to look at! Lots of green space and places to go :smile:
It is very easy to make friends here! We all end up being like a little family :smile: As we are quite small you will most likely end up knowing most people on the campus! There are many ways to meet friends, from the people you live with to your classmates and then societies buddies :biggrin:

This sounds like the best thing. Like actually the best thing.

Original post by Astorath97
Hi all,

My names Zed I should be coming to the Lampeter campus for archaeology in September whoo ! all I was wondering is what is the archaeology course itself like and does the Lampeter campus have a wrgaming society ? (with miniatures)

40k? please be 40k? I got me some tyrannids :P

Hey all, ill hopefully be joining Lampeter in September =D and am really looking forward to it. I have a question though, i signed up to do Anthropology, Archeology and Education studies, im guessing its like a joint degree. (LV66 i think its called)

Just wondering if anyone knows how these are structured, i got my lampeter brochure telling me of all the courses but couldnt find the specific course code for what i am to be doing. It's not too much of a problem as im planning to go down for a little visit soon, just wondering if anyone knows how 'dem degrees work :P
Reply 19
Hey there Spursbythebeach,

Don't worry about joining the course in your second year, lots of people swap universities along the way :smile:
Living on campus is great, you get to know your flatmates really well. But I cant give you any more detail than that I'm afraid as I haven't been in your situation before. :/

There are photos online somewhere of the rooms as I uploaded them last year, but it may take a bit of digging. Although if you join the face book Lampeter entry page for 2015 I can upload some new photos this summer onto there for you? Do you know what halls you are in? Then I can get hall specific photos for you :smile: also you will be able to meet your flatmates and course mates on that page before you come :biggrin:

Hope this helps!
GemRus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending