The Student Room Group

AS coursework remark/resit?

I underperformed in English AS (AQA Lit B specification) and ended up with an overall 'B' grade. This is due to a fault in my teacher marking my coursework. I got an A in the exam and a C in the coursework unit. When my coursework was marked internally, it was given an A by my teacher, who seemed to be very impressed with it, but when moderated by AQA this fell to a C (as did the entire classes' work, I might add).

I am continuing with English next year as I am predicted an A - luckily, the exam was high enough that I got a high B overall and so am within a few marks of the A boundary.

Can I appeal the coursework mark if it has been externally moderated? Is there any way of having it remarked? If not, is it worth me retaking my coursework next year? It was a lot of effort this year, and there's English coursework next year to add to the workload, but I feel like I did not get the grade I deserved. I was predicted an A and wanted to get an A* at A2. Quite gutted as I wanted to apply to Cambridge but my UMS scores were quite low across the board (average of 85).

Anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perflous
I underperformed in English AS (AQA Lit B specification) and ended up with an overall 'B' grade. This is due to a fault in my teacher marking my coursework. I got an A in the exam and a C in the coursework unit. When my coursework was marked internally, it was given an A by my teacher, who seemed to be very impressed with it, but when moderated by AQA this fell to a C (as did the entire classes' work, I might add).

I am continuing with English next year as I am predicted an A - luckily, the exam was high enough that I got a high B overall and so am within a few marks of the A boundary.

Can I appeal the coursework mark if it has been externally moderated? Is there any way of having it remarked? If not, is it worth me retaking my coursework next year? It was a lot of effort this year, and there's English coursework next year to add to the workload, but I feel like I did not get the grade I deserved. I was predicted an A and wanted to get an A* at A2. Quite gutted as I wanted to apply to Cambridge but my UMS scores were quite low across the board (average of 85).

Anyone?
Firstly, well done on your results! I hope you are at least partly happy (you should be)

Ah, and this is one of the worst problems with coursework unfortuntely. Looks like your teacher was a bit too generous with certain people (it may not necessarily have been yours) and so the whole class has been marked down. I don't think there's much you can do here unfortunately. It definitely is true to say that you've been "cheated" out of a good grade here. The good news is that you are clearly a capable student, so in the long term things still look good! :smile:

Doing Coursework again would be a big commitment (having done AQA Lit B, I know this). Honestly, I feel as if it probably isn't worth it, despite your feelings about getting a worse mark than you deserved. Cambridge won't get the results of the remark before they make a decision. It's a better idea to focus 100% on your A2 to go for an A*. If you do very well next year in Lit as well as some other subjects, you could be in a great position to reapply (although you could still get in this year of course).

As for Cambridge, I'd still apply. Even if it's a bit of a long shot (again though, this isn't your fault). You really don't have much to lose here, and English is a subject where a good interview could turn things around.

Again, commiserations on your coursework, but well done regardless!
Reply 2
Original post by Llewellyn
Firstly, well done on your results! I hope you are at least partly happy (you should be)

Ah, and this is one of the worst problems with coursework unfortuntely. Looks like your teacher was a bit too generous with certain people (it may not necessarily have been yours) and so the whole class has been marked down. I don't think there's much you can do here unfortunately. It definitely is true to say that you've been "cheated" out of a good grade here. The good news is that you are clearly a capable student, so in the long term things still look good! :smile:

Doing Coursework again would be a big commitment (having done AQA Lit B, I know this). Honestly, I feel as if it probably isn't worth it, despite your feelings about getting a worse mark than you deserved. Cambridge won't get the results of the remark before they make a decision. It's a better idea to focus 100% on your A2 to go for an A*. If you do very well next year in Lit as well as some other subjects, you could be in a great position to reapply (although you could still get in this year of course).

As for Cambridge, I'd still apply. Even if it's a bit of a long shot (again though, this isn't your fault). You really don't have much to lose here, and English is a subject where a good interview could turn things around.

Again, commiserations on your coursework, but well done regardless!

Thank you, that was really helpful :smile:

I'm going to speak to my teachers ASAP and see what they say. I think I might just get it remarked in the hope that I go up a couple of marks to end up with an A overall, as I am quite close to the B/A grade boundary.

I think I'm going to forget Cambridge this year as I want to take a gap year anyway so I could always apply post-A2 if things look good. My predicted grades are relatively strong, but I might do a couple of resits in my other subjects. Anyway, I'm going to think about my options for the last couple of weeks of holiday before I start A2.

But thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest