The Student Room Group

WJEC English Lit

Just got my results - I was aiming for an A but instead got a D. I doubt there's anything going on with the marking so it was obviously poor show on my part. I got an E for the exam and I want to get an A overall.
Do you think it's wise to retake or should I just concentrate on next year and try to get a good solid overall B? I need advice please!!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Lochy99
Just got my results - I was aiming for an A but instead got a D. I doubt there's anything going on with the marking so it was obviously poor show on my part. I got an E for the exam and I want to get an A overall.
Do you think it's wise to retake or should I just concentrate on next year and try to get a good solid overall B? I need advice please!!

Do you know how many marks you were off from a C? It might be worth taking a look at. If you were about 3 marks off a C, I wouldn't worry too much.

If it was a low D, I would perhaps redo at least one module. If you got an E for the exam, you must have got a C for coursework? It's quite unusual that you were aiming for an A, but got 3 grades lower than your target. What was your predicted grade? Do you feel as if the teaching was at its best?

WJEC exam is very hard as it is a closed set text, on three texts - 2 being 17th century texts. Also the coursework is very difficult too. A2 is always harder than AS so trying to make up for the grades at A2 will be a tough challenge for you.

At AS, in Philo/Ethics I got full marks on Philo and a U on Ethics. Re-took my AS Ethics this year, got a C (really wanted a B). Got a D at A2 Phil and a B in A2 Ethics. I came out with a B overall. Having said this, I found it my hardest subject. I skipped lots of lessons as I hated it with immense joy. Yet, I still came out with a B. Anything's possible when you work hard.

Depending on your workload, you should consider that resit. However, I did put my A2 subjects and jeopardy. Because I revised late for my AS resit, and all my 4 exams were squashed into 2 weeks, I only revised 3 days for Phil and 5 days for Ethics. I'm not saying cramming works (it does for me), but I had no choice, a lot of others didn't because of no Jan exams, all exams were squashed together, LOADS of A2 students had their exams on the same day or next to one another!
Anyway, just contemplate the questions I asked you and see whether it's worth it.
Reply 3
Do you know how many marks you were off from a C? It might be worth taking a look at. If you were about 3 marks off a C, I wouldn't worry too much.

If it was a low D, I would perhaps redo at least one module. If you got an E for the exam, you must have got a C for coursework? It's quite unusual that you were aiming for an A, but got 3 grades lower than your target. What was your predicted grade? Do you feel as if the teaching was at its best?

WJEC exam is very hard as it is a closed set text, on three texts - 2 being 17th century texts. Also the coursework is very difficult too. A2 is always harder than AS so trying to make up for the grades at A2 will be a tough challenge for you.

At AS, in Philo/Ethics I got full marks on Philo and a U on Ethics. Re-took my AS Ethics this year, got a C (really wanted a B). Got a D at A2 Phil and a B in A2 Ethics. I came out with a B overall. Having said this, I found it my hardest subject. I skipped lots of lessons as I hated it with immense joy. Yet, I still came out with a B. Anything's possible when you work hard.

Depending on your workload, you should consider that resit. However, I did put my A2 subjects and jeopardy. Because I revised late for my AS resit, and all my 4 exams were squashed into 2 weeks, I only revised 3 days for Phil and 5 days for Ethics. I'm not saying cramming works (it does for me), but I had no choice, a lot of others didn't because of no Jan exams, all exams were squashed together, LOADS of A2 students had their exams on the same day or next to one another!
Anyway, just contemplate the questions I asked you and see whether it's worth it.

I mean I was only 2 marks off a C this year but looking at it - I would need to get almost full marks to get a B at A2. My predicted grade was a B and I personally don't think I could get better teaching anywhere else. I think what it was, we didn't have enough practice essays done which, with a resit, I can change as I am planning to do an essay every week instead of having extra lessons and that'll be my revision (I have kept all my annotated anthologies and things so I don't need to redo lessons for those.) The exam itself is like a month before the A2 exams so I guess there wouldn't be too much hassle with that. I was only going to retake the exam anyway as I got a B in the coursework.
Original post by Lochy99
I mean I was only 2 marks off a C this year but looking at it - I would need to get almost full marks to get a B at A2. My predicted grade was a B and I personally don't think I could get better teaching anywhere else. I think what it was, we didn't have enough practice essays done which, with a resit, I can change as I am planning to do an essay every week instead of having extra lessons and that'll be my revision (I have kept all my annotated anthologies and things so I don't need to redo lessons for those.) The exam itself is like a month before the A2 exams so I guess there wouldn't be too much hassle with that. I was only going to retake the exam anyway as I got a B in the coursework.

Do not underestimate A2 Level. Since your exam will be on a Shakespeare play, another Jacobean play and poetry and being a closed exam, you have to be prepared as I've heard the exam is 10x harder than AS. But that's what A2 is all about.

You should definitely resit just in case and you can always keep your best grade anyway. Because you already have revision stuff for your AS exam stuff, you should try and get A2 revision sorted instead of having nothing when it comes to exam season. This means that you can just pull out your notes for A2 rather than making them when you're revising everything else.

Quick Reply

Latest