The Student Room Group

Year long placement

I have been on my placement for about 7 weeks now and I am working at a very small company where there is only me and either one or two other people in the office.

I am really not enjoying it and wondering if anyone had any advice about quitting placement and other options available?

My main issue is that I am never given any tasks. I am just left to my own devices and there really isn't enough things to do as it is such a small company and really isn't doing well on social media etc. However I feel that I always have to justify what I'm doing and panic every time my boss asks me what I have been up to.

I also feel that I am not learning anything as I have sole responsibility for the social media and so I am basically making all decisions not knowing if they are right or wrong.

I am possible also suffering from mild depression however am unsure whether this has been brought on again by work or whether I am not enjoying work because of my MH problems.

I am going to speak to my placement officer however I wanted to see if anyone else had any advice that had actually been in the situation I have been in!

I am also worrying about IF I was to quit placement about what my options are, for example getting another job even though I am at university or whether only having 2-3 months of placement on my CV will look really bad to future employers.
Reply 1
Original post by beckythfc
I have been on my placement for about 7 weeks now and I am working at a very small company where there is only me and either one or two other people in the office.

I am really not enjoying it and wondering if anyone had any advice about quitting placement and other options available?

My main issue is that I am never given any tasks. I am just left to my own devices and there really isn't enough things to do as it is such a small company and really isn't doing well on social media etc. However I feel that I always have to justify what I'm doing and panic every time my boss asks me what I have been up to.

I also feel that I am not learning anything as I have sole responsibility for the social media and so I am basically making all decisions not knowing if they are right or wrong.

I am possible also suffering from mild depression however am unsure whether this has been brought on again by work or whether I am not enjoying work because of my MH problems.

I am going to speak to my placement officer however I wanted to see if anyone else had any advice that had actually been in the situation I have been in!

I am also worrying about IF I was to quit placement about what my options are, for example getting another job even though I am at university or whether only having 2-3 months of placement on my CV will look really bad to future employers.

Have you tried speaking to your boss about it?

The best thing to do if you don't have enough work or aren't sure if you are doing something right is to speak to your manager about it. They will only appreciate that you did.

Ask if there is anything else they would like you to do or if they need help with anything. Go to your boss with what you have been doing on the social media side of things and ask if they think it's okay and if they have any guidance on it or how they see things running going forward.

Communication is key :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MarleyZ
Have you tried speaking to your boss about it?

The best thing to do if you don't have enough work or aren't sure if you are doing something right is to speak to your manager about it. They will only appreciate that you did.

Ask if there is anything else they would like you to do or if they need help with anything. Go to your boss with what you have been doing on the social media side of things and ask if they think it's okay and if they have any guidance on it or how they see things running going forward.

Communication is key :smile:

I haven't and I know that is important.

I have in passing mentioned that I am a little bored of a specific task in terms of "I am basically done with task but I have dragged it out for way longer because there is nothing to do".

I have also asked if there is anything for me to do and they just don't seem to respond with a yes/no answer it always just comes back to well what have you been working on etc.

I understand that they have employed me and I have done two years at university but this is my first marketing related job and I don't have all the answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending