Turn on thread page Beta

4A2s-does it really give you an advantage? watch

ReputationRep:
    If two students had similar achievements at GCSE and PSs were equally as good etc etc, would someone who did 4A2s and got 4A's, be at a significant advantage (for a Russell Group uni, not Oxbridge) than the person who did 3 A2s and got 3A's? Is it really worth the effort seeing as standard offers are made for 3 A2s?

ReputationRep:
    dunno, i did 4 A2's (5 including Gen Studies) and 5AS levels (6 including Gen Studies!)

i don't think it makes much difference if you are gonna get all A's but it gives you an extra subject if you are worried about getting the grades you need......you have more chance to get it with an extra subject so if you. Also i know someone who needed AAA but got AABB and the uni accepted her because she had shown that she could work to a high standard in all her subjects.

it wasn't that much extra work anyway, just a bit more revision and after school classes.

ReputationRep:
    if your applying to universities like warwick they say "Around 80% of our applicants have all or pretty well all “A” grades from every stage of their education" so having the fourth A2 is something 2 set u apart from the unwashed masses, especially if u go 2 a public school where for clever people it should be easy getting 3As given the faciliites. though i suppose u can turn that on its head n say that 4 As from a state school is amazing as it should be harder to do.

the only thing to worry about is making sure ur going 2 get 4 As. AAAa or even AAAb is probably better then AABB

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference...of the 5 unis that my application went to and was considered...i got 4 offers back...and i'm only doing 3 a-levels. I think as long as you have a good PS with good AS grades and predicted grades, on top of lots of things to put on your UCAS form to improve it...like music or sport....you'll get offers in.

I know people with 4A predictions at A2 with the AS levels to match..but cos they didn't show depth on their UCAS form got little or even no offers!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference...of the 5 unis that my application went to and was considered...i got 4 offers back...and i'm only doing 3 a-levels. I think as long as you have a good PS with good AS grades and predicted grades, on top of lots of things to put on your UCAS form to improve it...like music or sport....you'll get offers in.

I know people with 4A predictions at A2 with the AS levels to match..but cos they didn't show depth on their UCAS form got little or even no offers!!

G
    Ahhh yes, the UCAS form that many BS up to make them sound great. What a brilliant indicator. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

G
    But if 2 people showed the same depth in terms of what they did outside school, surely the person with 4A's would be chosen over the person with 3A's, all other things being equal? It has to give you a slight edge doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    But if 2 people showed the same depth in terms of what they did outside school, surely the person with 4A's would be chosen over the person with 3A's, all other things being equal? It has to give you a slight edge doesn't it.
    I suppose in that scenario it would...but not if you weren't predicted straight As....it mihgt show some sign of 'weakness'...that's not the right word to use...but i couldn't think of the right one.

Also remember though that depending on what for and where you are applying....interview counts for a lot!

If you did get an offer based on 4 a levels..then that's a lot more pressure than 3 alevels....also its much harder work!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Ahhh yes, the UCAS form that many BS up to make them sound great. What a brilliant indicator. :rolleyes:
    I know a lot of people BS on their UCAS form....but in many instances...the references you get from teachers...as well as a possible interview allow the uni to get a real view of what you are like.

G

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in that scenario it would...but not if you weren't predicted straight As....it mihgt show some sign of 'weakness'...that's not the right word to use...but i couldn't think of the right one.

Also remember though that depending on what for and where you are applying....interview counts for a lot!

If you did get an offer based on 4 a levels..then that's a lot more pressure than 3 alevels....also its much harder work!

G
    Yeah, that's a fair point. I'm just trying to weigh up whether to take 3 or 4 A2s, it's looking less worth it as the days go by!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's a fair point. I'm just trying to weigh up whether to take 3 or 4 A2s, it's looking less worth it as the days go by!
    Well...i would have been doing 4 A levels..if it weren't for the fact that i got a C in chem AS!!!

If i had got an A...as i was predicted....i'd still be doing it....and my first choice uni would probably be offering me 4As instead of 3..and it would probably affect my other A2s as well....

in hindsight....a C in chem was the best thing that ever happened to me!

G

ReputationRep:
    just because you do 4 A2s doesn't necessarily mean you'll be given offers with 4 grades.. i did 5A2s (including GS) & an AS, but got an AAA offer (any subjects, excluding GS..which was fab because i had the leeway to mess up chemistry!) & had a ABBD as my insurance(also non specified, which gave some flexibility & i think by the time i took my summer exams i already probably had at least 4Ds at A2 with high AS marks & decent coursework!)...

+ the other obvious advantage is you can keep your options more open to some degree & perhaps show your well rounded-ness.. e.g. i was able to keep up history & english lit - as well as the obligatory biology & chemistry before becomming a sciencey person at uni.

the main reason i did 4 was after doing 5AS subjects i didn't dislike any of them..so choosing 2 subjects to drop would have been impossible! & in the end i only dropped physics out of practicality as i wasn't doing maths. so, if you think you can handle the workload (& TBH, i didn't find it that bad..although it would depend on the subjects you're planning on doing perhaps..?) then i'd recommend it!

HTH

ReputationRep:
    If two students had similar achievements at GCSE and PSs were equally as good etc etc, would someone who did 4A2s and got 4A's, be at a significant advantage (for a Russell Group uni, not Oxbridge) than the person who did 3 A2s and got 3A's? Is it really worth the effort seeing as standard offers are made for 3 A2s?
    What is a Russell Group uni? I think that 4A's obviously looks better than 3A's but you have to make sure that you can cope and that you will get an A in the 4th A level... taking the extra A2 will undoubtedly be detrimental to your performance in your other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Taken from HERO:

The Russell Group of universities is an informal self-selected representative body from research-led institutions, so-called because meetings take place in the Russell Hotel.

University of Birmingham
    University of Bristol
    University of Cambridge
    Cardiff University
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Glasgow
    University of Leeds
    University of Liverpool
    University of Manchester
    University of Newcastle upon Tyne
    University of Nottingham
    University of Oxford
    University of Sheffield
    University of Southampton
    University of Warwick
    Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
    King's College London
    London School of Economics & Political Science
    University College London

ReputationRep:
    The subjects I'm talking about are German, Geography, Economics, and Biology. I love them all, so I think I should carry them all on, though I will miss the frees that my friends all have! (FYI Russell Group unis; unofficial group of research-led unis, tend t perform well, called Russell Group 'cos they meet in the Russell Hotel for meetings I think).

ReputationRep:
    The subjects I'm talking about are German, Geography, Economics, and Biology. I love them all, so I think I should carry them all on, though I will miss the frees that my friends all have! (FYI Russell Group unis; unofficial group of research-led unis, tend t perform well, called Russell Group 'cos they meet in the Russell Hotel for meetings I think).
    Ok thanks guys... so its the next step 'down' from Oxbridge (at the risk of being controversial). If you properly enjoy the subjects then it wouldnt be such a bad idea to keep them- the only bad thing is the free period aspect... If you get straights A's at AS, then you might find it hard to choose a subject to drop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dil)
    Ok thanks guys... so its the next step 'down' from Oxbridge (at the risk of being controversial).?
    Yes, that's how I see them, though some people may disagree.

(Original post by Dil)
    If you properly enjoy the subjects then it wouldnt be such a bad idea to keep them- the only bad thing is the free period aspect... If you get straights A's at AS, then you might find it hard to choose a subject to drop?
    I think I will agree to doing all 4 provisionally, but perhaps drop ne if I don't achieve an A at AS (am predicted 4A's, though we know predictions are just that, and nothing is certain!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's how I see them, though some people may disagree.
    I think I will agree to doing all 4 provisionally, but perhaps drop ne if I don't achieve an A at AS (am predicted 4A's, though we know predictions are just that, and nothing is certain!
    Yep that's wahrscheinlich the best way... you can always drop it a few weeks into next year if you feel they are getting on top of you! Good luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Do 4 A2s - its all about hard work and a bit of self belief.

ReputationRep:
    i did 4 A2s and because the uni were offering positions for 3 A levels they gave me the points offer alternative which meant I only needed 3Cs and a D to get in (did better than that tho ) I could prove advantagous all in all.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of courses ask for 3 A2s PLUS at least a B in AS...i had to have an extra AS to get onto my course. Also, if for woteva reason u **** up an a2, 2 Bs at AS count as an A2...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.