Maths - Should i do Statistics 1 or Mechanics 1

Watch
MaRa_27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been told that students can either do M1 or S1 in the first year of Maths A-Level.

Does anyone have any advice on which is the best to do , especially for someone like myself who would like to study Pharmacology at University?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MaRa_27)
I have been told that students can either do M1 or S1 in the first year of Maths A-Level.

Does anyone have any advice on which is the best to do , especially for someone like myself who would like to study Pharmacology at University?
Your school will usually decide which one they are teaching

Then you will usually do the other in A2 anyway
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did M1. Today i got my AS maths results and got a B in C1, A in C2 and E in M1. It averaged me out to a C.

I recommend S1 tbh
MaRa_27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Your school will usually decide which one they are teaching

Then you will usually do the other in A2 anyway
Oh Ohkay , i see.
Thank you so much .

Regards ,
Mara
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually your teacher decides what to do.

I just completed maths a level and got 77 ums in M1 compared to S1 which i got 84.

I personally prefer statistics by far. Quite a few gcse like topics plus if the exam throws unexpected sort of questions (which they tend to do), i found it a lot easier to work my way through it in S1 compared to M1 where it can be absolutely hell.
Temp acct
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll put it bluntly, having done M1, S1 and S2 myself.

If you are likely to be cramming, do S1.

If you are going to give yourself time to understand a topic, then M1 is much more interesting and not at all difficult once you get the hang of it. It is very intuitive.
oreoenthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recommend S1. In general, I think it's more difficult to get a good mark on M1 than S1, unless you're going to take Physics as well.
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moved to Maths forum
randomly-abby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did M1 in AS as I'm going to do physics at university and I did S1 in A2, I personally found S1 easier and got 94% compared to my 63% in M1 but I don't know whether doing M1 first made any difference because perhaps if you do S1 first you might be okay with M1 in A2
Omghacklol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MaRa_27)

Look at the picture, says it all: from today's AS results.

Incredibly disappointing
Attached files
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I hate statistics. It's all made up!! Mechanics on the other hand is beautiful.

Who knows what you need for pharmacy and indeed what your school will let you do.

As you can see from the posts, there is no obvious answer to your question as I find with statistics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads