The Student Room Group

Over thinking is making me doubt uni choices!

First off, ive got a firm unconditional for zoology in bangor (my hometown) and an insurance unconditional for the same course in LJMU. Up until last night i was certain i wanted to go to bangor so that i could stay in halls but not get homesick and have a LDR with my boyfriend- but today im not so sure its more 50/50, and i dont want to miss out on the experience of being completely independent in liverpool, and starting afresh.

Now it gets worse.
Ive always been passionate about zoology, or whatever it was to me since ive been a child, but i equally love design and architecture, and if anything the grades i have show its a more suited course to my skills. After worrying about clearing options in the stress of getting my results the architecture option started worming into my head, and now i dont know what to do!

please can anyone help me with advice or their own experiences, my head is all over the shop today!
Original post by elinrjones
First off, ive got a firm unconditional for zoology in bangor (my hometown) and an insurance unconditional for the same course in LJMU. Up until last night i was certain i wanted to go to bangor so that i could stay in halls but not get homesick and have a LDR with my boyfriend- but today im not so sure its more 50/50, and i dont want to miss out on the experience of being completely independent in liverpool, and starting afresh.

Now it gets worse.
Ive always been passionate about zoology, or whatever it was to me since ive been a child, but i equally love design and architecture, and if anything the grades i have show its a more suited course to my skills. After worrying about clearing options in the stress of getting my results the architecture option started worming into my head, and now i dont know what to do!

please can anyone help me with advice or their own experiences, my head is all over the shop today!

Hello :smile:

You're right this is a tricky one.... you don't have to make your decision today!

This is a big decision for you and it's not one that needs to be rushed....

So maybe take a step back and consider which university keeps on popping into your head? What course do you feel more drawn too? Practically it sounds like you think you're better suited to design because of grades. But what is your heart telling you?

If you try and imagine being at university, which one are you thinking of?

Have you spoken to parents or your boyfriend about your confusion? Maybe your best friend? They know you the best and maybe be able to help you work through the thoughts and feelings you're experiencing :smile:

When you applied for uni - which course was your first choice and why? Do you still feel the same way about it now when you think about it?

What do you think you'll want to do in the future? What's your career plan? How do either course fit into that?

What you're going through is very normal - this is a big time for you right now :h:

Now it gets worse.

I wouldn't worry about your grades indicating you might be better suited for one course over another...they're not a great indicator of the sort of thing! The real thing you have to decide is what you'd enjoy doing more. I think you might be just getting a bit of cold feet because you're finally at the point of making the decision for final and are scared (as is perfectly normal!), but you just need to take some time to think about what you want to do in your life. :smile:

Just have a think about what you want out of uni, and it should help!
Reply 3
Original post by She-Ra
Hello :smile:

You're right this is a tricky one.... you don't have to make your decision today!

This is a big decision for you and it's not one that needs to be rushed....

So maybe take a step back and consider which university keeps on popping into your head? What course do you feel more drawn too? Practically it sounds like you think you're better suited to design because of grades. But what is your heart telling you?

If you try and imagine being at university, which one are you thinking of?

Have you spoken to parents or your boyfriend about your confusion? Maybe your best friend? They know you the best and maybe be able to help you work through the thoughts and feelings you're experiencing :smile:

When you applied for uni - which course was your first choice and why? Do you still feel the same way about it now when you think about it?

What do you think you'll want to do in the future? What's your career plan? How do either course fit into that?

What you're going through is very normal - this is a big time for you right now :h:

The reason im so torn between two courses is that ive been studying a-levels for 3 years, in the first intending to do architecture, but as i had poor results for physics and maths i felt like it was no longer an option despite an A in art and B in history. Our year head met with me and together we thought my next best thing would be zoology with a love for geography and animals, but a c in biology has brought me back to the same boat.
Now i have A-art, B-History, B-geography, C-Biology (a levels) and A-Business, D-physics, E-maths (AS).

Im quite thorough so i like to do little career plans for any whim i get, but for these two theyre both as defined as i could hope, im just not sure which is best for me, thanks though youre a help.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I wouldn't worry about your grades indicating you might be better suited for one course over another...they're not a great indicator of the sort of thing! The real thing you have to decide is what you'd enjoy doing more. I think you might be just getting a bit of cold feet because you're finally at the point of making the decision for final and are scared (as is perfectly normal!), but you just need to take some time to think about what you want to do in your life. :smile:

Just have a think about what you want out of uni, and it should help!

know that im getting cold feet, but i cant help but think its come at the right time so that it will force me to consider things more seriously, and i do have tendencies to think myself out of doing things.
I just dont want to waste another year of my life when i just go back to my original plans with nothing to show, a heavy heart and a lot of explaining.

I'll definitely just take a few days to consider my options, thanks!
The reason im so torn between two courses is that ive been studying a-levels for 3 years, in the first intending to do architecture, but as i had poor results for physics and maths i felt like it was no longer an option despite an A in art and B in history. Our year head met with me and together we thought my next best thing would be zoology with a love for geography and animals, but a c in biology has brought me back to the same boat.
Now i have A-art, B-History, B-geography, C-Biology (a levels) and A-Business, D-physics, E-maths (AS).

Im quite thorough so i like to do little career plans for any whim i get, but for these two theyre both as defined as i could hope, im just not sure which is best for me, thanks though youre a help.

know that im getting cold feet, but i cant help but think its come at the right time so that it will force me to consider things more seriously, and i do have tendencies to think myself out of doing things.
I just dont want to waste another year of my life when i just go back to my original plans with nothing to show, a heavy heart and a lot of explaining.

I'll definitely just take a few days to consider my options, thanks!

Mhmm, you're definitely in a difficult position! I'd find it hard if I were you, too! I think just having a bit of soul searching is the best thing to do, and will help you a lot. You've already put 3 years into your A-levels, so risking taking more years out to try to redirect towards geography might be a bad idea! But if you're dreading the idea of zoology and bangor now, it might be worth considering anyway. I think you're just faced with such a personal choice that it's difficult to give you much good advice, but if I were you, I'd give zoology a try, because after 3 years, I don't think I'd want to face taking another year out if I don't find architecture place in Clearing! But if you're just going to be miserable doing a biological subject, it's not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest