The Student Room Group

Which subject do I drop for A2?

So I just got my AS results - got aaaa in biology, chemistry, maths and geography, and I'm really, really happy with how I did. My UMS scores mean I'm on track for A* predictions in biology and geography, and A predictions in maths and chemistry.

Until a couple of months ago I was sure I was going to do a chemistry degree, and was going to drop geography because I wasn't enjoying the physical geog aspects of the AS course. However, when I started looking at A2 work, I started becoming more and more interested in geography, realised the reason I disliked the physical geography stuff at AS was because it was the specific topic and teaching style that I disliked (not the subject as a whole), and started considering a geography degree. I made up in my mind that I'd drop biology if I did geography, because I don't enjoy biology as much as I enjoy chemistry or maths.

As you might have noticed, in both cases I planned on dropping a subject I'll most likely be predicted an A* in, which feels like madness. If I were to drop maths (which was the only subject I was 100% sure I wanted to take to A2) I'd be predicted A*A*A, and I think I could potentially get A*A*A* in geography, biology and chemistry if I work really hard, whilst I'm almost certain I can't get an A* in maths. But I do enjoy maths, and I don't actually like biology that much, although I find it relatively easy (although the mark schemes tend to be oddly specific, which I dislike). Not doing maths also means getting on a chemistry degree would be difficult. Taking 4 A levels is out of the question, because my school won't let me as I only got a low A in maths.

In terms of degree choices, I definitely find geography much easier than chemistry - as for which I like more, I really don't know.

If you were in my situation, what would you drop?
I think you're over thinking this :p:
You don't need Biology. You don't much like it. Why keep it? Maths and Chemistry are enough to keep both Geography and Chemistry routes available to you. And if you enjoy Geography as a subject you are more likely to be motivated to work hard in it.
I wouldn't worry about the A*A*A* vs A*A*A thing, it's not going to make a difference in the long run, really. :smile:

If you're really not sure which subject combo you'd enjoy most, why not take on 4 A-levels with the option of dropping one down the line if you're not enjoying it?
Reply 3
Original post by Craghyrax
I think you're over thinking this :p:
You don't need Biology. You don't much like it. Why keep it? Maths and Chemistry are enough to keep both Geography and Chemistry routes available to you. And if you enjoy Geography as a subject you are more likely to be motivated to work hard in it.

So do I! :tongue: Biology would give me a stronger application for chemistry, which would be my main reason for keeping it up.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I wouldn't worry about the A*A*A* vs A*A*A thing, it's not going to make a difference in the long run, really. :smile:

If you're really not sure which subject combo you'd enjoy most, why not take on 4 A-levels with the option of dropping one down the line if you're not enjoying it?

Okay, that's good to hear. The only worry is, if I take geography, chemistry, maths I'll be predicted A*AA (which I realise isn't bad at all, but the A*A*A prediction would be nice).

My school won't let me take 4 because my A in maths is too low :/

Quick Reply

Latest