The Student Room Group

changing course?

Hi!

I started a psychology course in September 2013 and finished my first year in May (EU student). However, now I am considering transferring into the first year of a different course (3-years long) at the same university. I would like to ask if I would be still eligible to get a loan that fully covers my new undergraduate course. In case it would be possible, what steps should I take to apply for this change in SFE?

Thanks,
Korin
Original post by korin12
Hi!

I started a psychology course in September 2013 and finished my first year in May (EU student). However, now I am considering transferring into the first year of a different course (3-years long) at the same university. I would like to ask if I would be still eligible to get a loan that fully covers my new undergraduate course. In case it would be possible, what steps should I take to apply for this change in SFE?

Thanks,
Korin

I've asked a colleague about this and she has informed me that you should be eligible for the tuition fee loan for the other course, however it is worth checking with the loan company, and of course whether the university would be happy for you to change course.

It is also worth considering that, if approved, if you had to resit a year or changed your mind again that you would not be eligible for the tuition fee loan.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
You'll be fine. The basic Student Finance calculation in your situation is Length of course (minus) Years of previous uni study (plus) 1 year. That gives you 3-1+1=3 years of your full Student Finance entitlement remaining.

However as the above poster says, you have used up your 'grace' year of funding so if you need to retake a year of your new course, you'd have to pay for most of it by yourself (including tuition fees).
Reply 3
Thank you very much for your replies. Do you think that the same might apply for the [h="2"]UCL Undergraduate Bursary/National Scholarship Scheme (NSP)? [/h]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending