The Student Room Group

English Literature AS Level - help!

Hello!

So for my summer work for A Level English Literature I have to research Dramatic comedy.

I am really struggling to find any sites on it! This may be because I am completely new to it and haven't learnt anything about Dramatic Comedy before so I don't know what to look for, or it may be because there are no sites on it (I am guessing it is the former option).

Does anyone know of any good sites that I can read up about Dramatic Comedy on?

Or could you just help me out and tell me generally what makes up Dramatic Comedy so I have a general idea of what to look for when I am searching?

In case this is of any use I have to research:
The conventions of Dramatic Comedy
The history of Dramatic Comedy
Different kinds of comedy
The techniques of comedy
Critical responses to 2/3 Dramatic Comedies

Thank you so much in advance! :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hi,

I found myself in this position when I started my AS Level last year, I had similar things to research and I looked for quite a while and found it quite hard to find anything on it so don't worry your not the first to be in this position :smile:

There's a really good book produced for the whole AS course by Nelson Thornes (which will come into use for the Aspect of Narratives Exam of the course) about half the book is about the Dramatic Comedy Coursework unit which covers the conventions of the genre, the history of it, its structure etc. as well as lots of stuff on Shakespeare (which I presume you probably know one of your texts will be one of his comedies) and the different types of comedy there is. I found it invaluable for the whole course but it was really good when doing the initial research about Comedy and it sounds like it will cover the majority if not all of the things you are looking for.

In terms of stuff on the internet, I used this video to take some notes about Shakespeare comedy, it goes over the general conventions of his comedies, which will fit into the conventions bit of your task as well as techniques/kinds of comedy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrprhnkaLM

I hope this helps in some way :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Dan_LFC
Hi,

I found myself in this position when I started my AS Level last year, I had similar things to research and I looked for quite a while and found it quite hard to find anything on it so don't worry your not the first to be in this position :smile:

There's a really good book produced for the whole AS course by Nelson Thornes (which will come into use for the Aspect of Narratives Exam of the course) about half the book is about the Dramatic Comedy Coursework unit which covers the conventions of the genre, the history of it, its structure etc. as well as lots of stuff on Shakespeare (which I presume you probably know one of your texts will be one of his comedies) and the different types of comedy there is. I found it invaluable for the whole course but it was really good when doing the initial research about Comedy and it sounds like it will cover the majority if not all of the things you are looking for.

In terms of stuff on the internet, I used this video to take some notes about Shakespeare comedy, it goes over the general conventions of his comedies, which will fit into the conventions bit of your task as well as techniques/kinds of comedy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrprhnkaLM

I hope this helps in some way :smile:

Thank you! I will definitely purchase that book asap then and check out that link!

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending