The Student Room Group

Your Top Three University Tips For Beginners. =P

Hey Guys;

Well, this will be my second year at uni and, was thinking of a decent idea for a thread and then thought of this. =D

So, give your top 3 tips to the new batch of uni students. :biggrin:
Jump in at the deep end: go to all the events you can get yourself to. Say hello and introduce yourself as much as possible.

Draw up a budget for weekly and monthly expenditure after rent.

Bring a recipe book from home and get cooking at home before you leave.
Don't drop out after a few weeks if you're feeling homesick, it will wear off.

Know your budget.

Try to cook, explore new foods, you'll probably find something you love.
1) www.citethisforme.com
2) Doing the required reading will almost always bump you up a grade boundary.
3) Don't spend all your money on booze.
Any other tips guys?
1) even though you will be told many times first year doesn't count, try to get to as many lectures and seminars as you can (even if you are in a delicate state!) Try hard in the assignments as this really prepares you for the next 2 years, and looks good on your transcript. You might even enjoy learning...

2) That said, make sure that you go out often, join a new society or sports team and make the most of being a fresher! Joining a sports club was the best thing i ever did (even though i hadn't played for years), you meet so many new people and get to do some great things. I would recommend it to anyone.

3) if you feel homesick or that your course isn't right for you, talk to someone. Too many people quit without making the most of the extensive pastoral care networks universities have. Homesick usually passes and they can advise about the course, talk to your tutors as well- they want you to succeed but can't help if they don't know you are struggling.

I am really jealous of everyone starting this September, I had the best 3 years ever!
1. Study, first year builds a great foundation of knowledge to help you in the second and third years, if you don't study, there's no foundation and you're always catching up.

2. Have fun, join societies, be nice, everyone is in the same position as you!

3. Don't drink too much, eat healthily, freshers flu isn't pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have far more time than you think you will, a busy student is a happy student.

Go to all your lectures.

Try to look after your flatmates, even the weird awkward anti-social ones.
Reply 8
1. Get to know your lecturers - they can provide help if you're struggling with work, offer opportunities for additional work and even provide references for job applications.

2. Do work ahead of deadlines - deadlines can tend to overlap towards the end of the semester and so by doing the work early you can avoid having to rush work at the last minute. After finishing your work it also helps to look over it again a couple of days later - you'll be surprised how many errors/areas for improvement you might find.

3. Budget smartly - don't just assume £1000 for 10 weeks = £100 per week. You need to leave yourself extra money in case of unexpected expenditures (Of which there are plenty). For example: fees & deposits on accommodation for second year can be very expensive.
Yeah, always start work the day it is set, not the day it is due in.

That really seperates the wheat from the chaff. I don't care how smart you think you are, you cannot write a first class quality essay/report in 24 hours.

If you get yourself in the situation where you have to pull an allnighter, you're probably going to fail.

If you try and stay a week ahead of everyone else, this will translate to an extra 5% on your final grade, easy.
Thought I'd bring this back since uni is only JUST round the corner. =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending