The Student Room Group

Can I carry on with a subject at A2 after getting an E at AS

Hi, really happy with my results today but Law was awful. I got AABE(law) and I was sort of expecting it, the exams went really badly and the year of teaching was pretty dire.

Haven't spoken to my law teacher yet, he likes me and predicted me a B, can I persuade him to allow me to continue the subject at A2 and resit both law modules next summer and hopefully come out with an overall B?

Also does anyone have experiences with getting a grade such as D/E at AS, and coming out with an A/B at A2 in the subject?

Many Thanks
Tom
Reply 1
Original post by afctom
Hi, really happy with my results today but Law was awful. I got AABE(law) and I was sort of expecting it, the exams went really badly and the year of teaching was pretty dire.

Haven't spoken to my law teacher yet, he likes me and predicted me a B, can I persuade him to allow me to continue the subject at A2 and resit both law modules next summer and hopefully come out with an overall B?

Also does anyone have experiences with getting a grade such as D/E at AS, and coming out with an A/B at A2 in the subject?

Many Thanks
Tom

What are you hoping to study at university? What subjects did you get AAB in?
Reply 2
Completely depends on your school/college, at mine you generally need a minimum of a D but I have heard stories of people being allowed to continue the subject after convincing the teacher that they would retake and make sure they did a lot better, so it's definitely worth asking your teacher.
At my college you need an E to continue but you could just drop it as you don't need to take 4 subjects to A2 and your other grades are good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Gorwell
What are you hoping to study at university? What subjects did you get AAB in?

A in Geography and Economics, B in Business (definitely want to drop this), and I'd like to study either Law or Geography at University
Reply 5
Original post by student261
At my college you need an E to continue but you could just drop it as you don't need to take 4 subjects to A2 and your other grades are good :smile:

Yeah I'm going to drop another subject, really want to carry on with Law :frown: Was only a few UMS off a D as well, so hopefully he will let me
Reply 6
Original post by Toriar
Completely depends on your school/college, at mine you generally need a minimum of a D but I have heard stories of people being allowed to continue the subject after convincing the teacher that they would retake and make sure they did a lot better, so it's definitely worth asking your teacher.

Thanks, so is the final decision up to your subject teacher? I think I could convince him, especially as the 2 law modules are the only 2 retakes I need to do so wouldn't be a work overload
I was in the exact same position as you last summer but with Biology, I got an E but didn't want to drop it. I retook AS this year while doing A2 and got a B overall - it's doable! Not really advice as such but as I've managed I hope this is encouraging ☺️
Reply 8
Original post by afctom
Thanks, so is the final decision up to your subject teacher? I think I could convince him, especially as the 2 law modules are the only 2 retakes I need to do so wouldn't be a work overload

Well some schools are particularly strict and teachers would be obliged to follow the minimum requirements but most schools are flexible and generally it would be down to whether the teacher genuinely thinks it was out of character and that you could do a lot better.

Quick Reply

Latest