The Student Room Group

Advice on Teeth Whitening?

Does anyone know much/had any experience with Teeth Whitening?
I'm strongly considering it because my teeth have never really been 'white' as say, what people usually have. So..
I was thinking, cost is not an issue,
but should I go for laser whitening, zoom whitening or.. something else?

I'm looking for long lasting results and possibly, as white as possible.

I know that it damages the enamel, doesn't last as long if I eat staining foods etc,is expensive, and usually requires several treatments.

I appreciate any advice :smile: Thank you for reading.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lil3utterfly
Does anyone know much/had any experience with Teeth Whitening?
I'm strongly considering it because my teeth have never really been 'white' as say, what people usually have. So..
I was thinking, cost is not an issue,
but should I go for laser whitening, zoom whitening or.. something else?

I'm looking for long lasting results and possibly, as white as possible.

I know that it damages the enamel, doesn't last as long if I eat staining foods etc,is expensive, and usually requires several treatments.

I appreciate any advice :smile: Thank you for reading.

I would honestly buy Crest whitening strips off eBay. I've used them a few times and they are literally amazing, and the white lasts! I get so many comments asking about my teeth too.
Original post by ldsbabe
I would honestly buy Crest whitening strips off eBay. I've used them a few times and they are literally amazing, and the white lasts! I get so many comments asking about my teeth too.

I know a lot of people have been using them, but if you don't mind..

1. How long do they last before you have to bleach them again?
2. Isn't it better to have it done by a dentist on the chair?

Knowing myself, I'll probably do it wrong, I don't trust myself to apply them at home on my own.. :colondollar:
Original post by Lil3utterfly
I know a lot of people have been using them, but if you don't mind..

1. How long do they last before you have to bleach them again?
2. Isn't it better to have it done by a dentist on the chair?

Knowing myself, I'll probably do it wrong, I don't trust myself to apply them at home on my own.. :colondollar:

I know this wasn't aimed at me but thought I'd answer it anyway. I've been using whitestrips for 5 years-ish...

1. It basically lasts forever, you can't temporarily bleach anything. The reason they go back stained is if you smoke, drink coffee or red wine.. And other stuff. My teeth usually start looking a bit dull around a year after I use the strips. Then i usually only have to use 3 or 4 to top them up. They have never gone back to their original yellow colour.

2. Probably. But then it's probably better to have your hair dyed by a professional but loads of people don't. The benefits of whitestrips are that they are cheap as chips, and you can control the whiteness. Going to get professional whitening is a bit of a faff if you're busy. Then again, if you don't mind this and have a large budget then by all means get it done by a dentist.

It's impossible to do it wrong. It's like a sticker you peel on and stick to your teeth for half an hour a day. So easy.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I know this wasn't aimed at me but thought I'd answer it anyway. I've been using whitestrips for 5 years-ish...

1. It basically lasts forever, you can't temporarily bleach anything. The reason they go back stained is if you smoke, drink coffee or red wine.. And other stuff. My teeth usually start looking a bit dull around a year after I use the strips. Then i usually only have to use 3 or 4 to top them up. They have never gone back to their original yellow colour.

2. Probably. But then it's probably better to have your hair dyed by a professional but loads of people don't. The benefits of whitestrips are that they are cheap as chips, and you can control the whiteness. Going to get professional whitening is a bit of a faff if you're busy. Then again, if you don't mind this and have a large budget then by all means get it done by a dentist.

It's impossible to do it wrong. It's like a sticker you peel on and stick to your teeth for half an hour a day. So easy.

Thank you very much. :tongue: Well problem is, it might be harder for me as I'm naturally missing a few adult teeth, which makes me self conscious.
The only reason I'm getting it done by a professional is so I might be able to get it as white as possible, and less chance of me messing it up.

Thanks though :smile: I wonder if it's safe to do it at the dentist..
then use different whitening strips later on so I don't have to go back..?
Original post by ldsbabe

Did your teeth became more sensitive? :rolleyes:

hmm so like it goes really quick.I mean everyone drinks every once in a while.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Smile-PROFESSIONAL-Revolutionary-Treatment/dp/B00H8AC6PC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

the ratings can be a bit iffy..that the one yeh use:?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hmm so like it goes really quick.I mean everyone drinks every once in a while.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Smile-PROFESSIONAL-Revolutionary-Treatment/dp/B00H8AC6PC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

the ratings can be a bit iffy..that the one yeh use:?

Well no, like I said I originally did a whole course around 5/6 years ago and they have yet to go completely back to their natural colour. If you top it up now and then it's fine..

And no those aren't the ones I use, they look dodgy as hell! I stick with Crest.
Well no, like I said I originally did a whole course around 5/6 years ago and they have yet to go completely back to their natural colour. If you top it up now and then it's fine..

And no those aren't the ones I use, they look dodgy as hell! I stick with Crest.

grand

any chance youd send us the link:? im new to ebay so rather not pick out a dodge supplier:confused:
Original post by ForgetMe
Did your teeth became more sensitive? :rolleyes:

I know this isn't aimed at me but thought I'd answer. I've used Crest strips a lot, and normally my teeth are not at all sensitive - they're the opposite, they're like overly strong apparently. When I use strips, maybe about 6 hours later I'll feel a bit of sensitivity, but it's totally worth it for the results. Once or twice it's been pretty damn sore, but then if you feel overly sensitive I'd just lay off them for a few days before carrying on! :smile:
I remember researching Crest strips a while back, they seem to be really popular but I thought they never sold them here :redface:
Original post by Fortitude
I remember researching Crest strips a while back, they seem to be really popular but I thought they never sold them here :redface:

As far as I know, they don't sell them in the UK - not in like Boots or Superdrug etc! However, they're pretty readily available from eBay sellers and Amazon. :tongue:
Original post by hollieeilloh
As far as I know, they don't sell them in the UK - not in like Boots or Superdrug etc! However, they're pretty readily available from eBay sellers and Amazon. :tongue:

Ha, yeah, well, that's cool then, I'm too worried though about damaging the enamel to try them plus I think I have quite sensitive teeth anyway :redface:
grand

any chance youd send us the link:? im new to ebay so rather not pick out a dodge supplier:confused:

I don't use any particular seller, tbh I only buy a batch maybe every 2 years. Just look for crest 3D Whitestrips professional effects, check the expiry date and the seller's previous feedback. If you get them without a box it saves on postage.
go on ebay.com, buy mouth trays and hydrogen/carbamide peroxide

you get more for our money than with crest strips
Tip: don't whiten your teeth further than the natural whiteness of the whites of your eyes. That's the point where it begins to look unnatural.
I don't use any particular seller, tbh I only buy a batch maybe every 2 years. Just look for crest 3D Whitestrips professional effects, check the expiry date and the seller's previous feedback. If you get them without a box it saves on postage.

cheers.

if my enamel is ruined im suing you.

have a nice day x
cheers.

if my enamel is ruined im suing you.

have a nice day x

Haha feel free, you can sue me for the entire £24 I have to my name at the moment!
Did you guys get people noticing your teeth/compliments after using the whitening strips?
Original post by ldsbabe

Original post by hollieeilloh
I know this isn't aimed at me but thought I'd answer. I've used Crest strips a lot, and normally my teeth are not at all sensitive - they're the opposite, they're like overly strong apparently. When I use strips, maybe about 6 hours later I'll feel a bit of sensitivity, but it's totally worth it for the results. Once or twice it's been pretty damn sore, but then if you feel overly sensitive I'd just lay off them for a few days before carrying on! :smile:

see above please.

Quick Reply