The Student Room Group

Psychology uni choices?!

Hi everyone!
I really want to study psychology at uni, since starting my psychology a level I just completely fell in love with everything about the subject.
I very quickly became specifically interested in Forensic Psychology and therefore have been looking at Portsmouth uni who are one of only 2 uni's to offer an actual Forensic Psychology course in the UK.

Despite this, I am now wondering whether by studying that course and specilising so early, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage over other graduates in the future when looking for jobs as they may see me as someone who can only do Forensic style things. I am also very interested in all other areas of psychology so am wondering whether you guys would suggest that I stick with a general psychology course rather than a specific Forensic one?

Furthermore, I was only predicted C's in my A levels, however I got my AS results this morning and achieved 2 As and 2Bs (YAY!) and am now thinking that I would be eligible to go uni's with higher ranks - however it only further complicates my dilemma as after looking around I've seen that higher ranked uni's don't do any Forensic psychology modules whatsoever. So, do I apply for a higher ranked uni, but miss out on the forensic part that I think I would enjoy, or do I go for a lower ranked uni that offer Forensic OR, do I simply go for the forensic psychology course?!

Any advice would really be appreciated as I feel completely confused atm!
Thanks, Catherine
Original post by Stridey_xxxx
Hi everyone!
I really want to study psychology at uni, since starting my psychology a level I just completely fell in love with everything about the subject.
I very quickly became specifically interested in Forensic Psychology and therefore have been looking at Portsmouth uni who are one of only 2 uni's to offer an actual Forensic Psychology course in the UK.

Despite this, I am now wondering whether by studying that course and specilising so early, I would be putting myself at a disadvantage over other graduates in the future when looking for jobs as they may see me as someone who can only do Forensic style things. I am also very interested in all other areas of psychology so am wondering whether you guys would suggest that I stick with a general psychology course rather than a specific Forensic one?

Furthermore, I was only predicted C's in my A levels, however I got my AS results this morning and achieved 2 As and 2Bs (YAY!) and am now thinking that I would be eligible to go uni's with higher ranks - however it only further complicates my dilemma as after looking around I've seen that higher ranked uni's don't do any Forensic psychology modules whatsoever. So, do I apply for a higher ranked uni, but miss out on the forensic part that I think I would enjoy, or do I go for a lower ranked uni that offer Forensic OR, do I simply go for the forensic psychology course?!

Thanks, Catherine

I would essentially spread your choices when your applying - apply for some higher ranked unis, and some with lower grade boundries- just so you get some offers in the bag for sure.

If your interested in forensic psychology, you could potentially do it as a third year dissertation at any uni if there is a researchers in that area there (even if they dont offer it as part of a undergrad course). I would focus on going to be best uni you can get into- and do some forensic psychology reading on the side! That is far more important, at most if you did a forensic psychology module it would make up a very tiny percentage of your degree in the end its not worth compromising over.

Remember that if there is a criminology module you can take at another uni that will often touch on the same issues that forensic psychologists work on, although not just from the psychological perspective which is good.
Original post by iammichealjackson
I would essentially spread your choices when your applying - apply for some higher ranked unis, and some with lower grade boundries- just so you get some offers in the bag for sure.

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear! It's how I felt, I just wanted to hear someone else agreed and also the idea that the aim is to get to the best uni possible and then work around their modules.
Thank you so much :smile:
I am pretty sure you can go to a high rank uni and just do a normal psychology course and then do a postgraduate on forensic psychology after because I am going to do a psychology course and then do a clinical psychology postgraduate. So you could probably do the same but go for a forensic psychology postgraduate. Also that way once you have done the psychology degree and got a better insight of the different branches of ​psychology you could make a more informed choice about which field you want to go in
Reply 4
Hi, are you looking into becoming a forensic psychologist? Or just interested in the subject?

I ask this as I'm about to go back into education to hopefully become a forensic psychologist. From what I have researched it doesn't matter too much what Psychology degree you do, and many unis offer a criminology pathway or joint honours with criminology, which as Michaeljackson said, covers similar to forensics.

You have to ensure that the course is BPS accredited, as to become a chartered psychologist you need to have a masters which is also accredited.

You can once you have a psychology degree go on to take a MA in Forensic Psychology which will then allow you to become a charted Forensic psychologist.

Sorry if I made too many assumptions there, but just giving you information of what I have researched, and wasn't sure if you were aware. I hope this helped a little
Original post by Stridey_xxxx
Hi everyone!

Thanks, Catherine

I've just finished my A2 psychology and am now off to Reading University to study Psychology & Biology. Whatever psychology degree you do, i would suggest that you only apply for ones that are BPS accredited as you can then complete further study after your degree to practice as a professional. Otherwise, you'll have to do another year on top to get the accreditation which is just a waste of money. I was also interested in doing forensic psychology and both my confirmed and insurance choice (Loughborough) offered third year optional modules in forensic psychology, and i'm pretty sure other unis offer that option too. But as long as the degree is BPS accredited you shouldn't be at a disadvantage as there are so many possible modules you can chose from anyway, no one will have studied the same two things anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest