The Student Room Group

Puh'leeease help me :/

Ok so its been 2 days.
My laptop is real slow now. Connection is perfect. Full bars.
I keep getting these stupid ad popups and idk how to get rid of them. Usually i'd go on Control Panel and uninstall the Ad company thingy. I did that.. But i'm still getting popups.

Please help me :cry2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2

I searched how to get rid of it on youtube. I followed the instructions but then it got confusing cuz ithe YT vid had something i didn't tgm :s-smilie:What adblocker.

Please do help :frown:
Reply 3
Pretty please :cry2:
Original post by Dinaa
I searched how to get rid of it on youtube. I followed the instructions but then it got confusing cuz ithe YT vid had something i didn't tgm :s-smilie:What adblocker.

Please do help :frown:

Assuming you're Google Chrome (if not, then use it :tongue:) - Use Adblocker

PS: When you install software ensure you do custom/advanced install. :tongue:

If it doesn't fix it, then give me a quote :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Binary Freak
Assuming you're Google Chrome (if not, then use it :tongue:) - Use Adblocker

PS: When you install software ensure you do custom/advanced install. :tongue:

If it doesn't fix it, then give me a quote :biggrin:

Downloading it atm.
Btw it is downloading Chrome.. is that right?
And will it get rid of these stupid hyperlinks?

Original post by Dinaa
Downloading it atm.
Btw it is downloading Chrome.. is that right?
And will it get rid of these stupid hyperlinks?

Should do, provided you also use that hyperlink I sent you for Adblocker, if it doesn't then just quote me :tongue:

I know all about what's going on here, brother had the same issue on his laptop.
Reply 7
Should do, provided you also use that hyperlink I sent you for Adblocker, if it doesn't then just quote me :tongue:

I know all about what's going on here, brother had the same issue on his laptop.

Yeah i clicked your hyperlink. And it started downloading Google chrome (sorry about my crappy technical language lel). Just finished. Still got popups and random hyperlinks from 'Alldaysavings'
Original post by Dinaa
Yeah i clicked your hyperlink. And it started downloading Google chrome (sorry about my crappy technical language lel). Just finished. Still got popups and random hyperlinks from 'Alldaysavings'

Hah, wouldn't worry about the technical knowledge, I'm correct then in assuming you downloaded a file, or a piece of software. The settings you selected has installed browser extensions on your laptop. :frown:

First thing, you will need to clear the browsers cache and cookies (Tools > Clear browsing history) tools can be found by clicking the three lines on the far right of the screen.

Next you will want to check the extensions for "Text Enhancer" and remove it.. To view extensions (Tools > Extensions)

If you cannot see text enhancer then feel free to post a picture of the installed extensions. :smile:
Reply 9
Hah, wouldn't worry about the technical knowledge, I'm correct then in assuming you downloaded a file, or a piece of software. The settings you selected has installed browser extensions on your laptop. :frown:

First thing, you will need to clear the browsers cache and cookies (Tools > Clear browsing history) tools can be found by clicking the three lines on the far right of the screen.

Next you will want to check the extensions for "Text Enhancer" and remove it.. To view extensions (Tools > Extensions)

If you cannot see text enhancer then feel free to post a picture of the installed extensions. :smile:

Omg i'm so sad rn lmao :l
I cleared that... but i don't see the text enhancer

Original post by Dinaa

:hmmmm2: Try downloading Ccleaner and doing a scan with that.
Reply 11
Do a system restore to a few days ago, it will return your computer to a state before this happened to your laptop...
Original post by Dinaa

The suggestion that Ornlu provided you with should work if mine doesn't :smile:
Reply 13
:hmmmm2: Try downloading Ccleaner and doing a scan with that.

:s-smilie: sorry for being a bum.. but i'm confused.. delete files permanently?

Original post by Dinaa
:s-smilie: sorry for being a bum.. but i'm confused.. delete files permanently?

It's fine :biggrin:

Yeah that's correct, you should also try the Registry cleaner, but if this doesn't work then the suggestion Ornlu provided will, but that can sometimes take a while :smile:
Reply 15
It's fine :biggrin:

Yeah that's correct, you should also try the Registry cleaner, but if this doesn't work then the suggestion Ornlu provided will, but that can sometimes take a while :smile:

Was about to burst cuz i thought it was over and fixed! But.. no.. :cry2:

Gnna search how to do this system restore thingy majig :s-smilie:

Thank you btw :kissing2:
Original post by Dinaa
Ok so its been 2 days.
My laptop is real slow now. Connection is perfect. Full bars.
I keep getting these stupid ad popups and idk how to get rid of them. Usually i'd go on Control Panel and uninstall the Ad company thingy. I did that.. But i'm still getting popups.

Please help me :cry2:

Also try malwarebytes?
Seems like adware.
Reply 17
Original post by Iqbal007
Also try malwarebytes?
Seems like adware.

Scanning using that rn. This is actually really sad :l
Its still not working.. and now i can't access other stuff :cry2:
Original post by Dinaa
Scanning using that rn. This is actually really sad :l
Its still not working.. and now i can't access other stuff :cry2:

Try it on the full thorough scan, I do think you've downloaded something you werent supposed to
Reply 19
Just to update: she's done a system restore and the computer is running faster; her virus scanner detected a virus (not sure if she quarantined it) but she still gets the annoying adverts on chrome. Chrome has manually been uninstalled but her security settings are preventing her from downloading a fresh install of Chrome, so that's what she's assumedly going to be sorting out now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending