interested in doing ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE at uni which A Level subjects to choose

Watch
Jerry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, so my younger brother is currently going into his first year of sixth form and he's interested in studying accountancy and finance when he goes to uni. I have a question regarding the subjects he's choosing which are as follows:
1. Economics
2. IT BTEC
3. Business BTEC

I wanted to know weather these are suitable subjects to choose if he will be studying accountancy and finance in the future. Will choosing 2 BTEC subjects put him at a disadvantage over other students who do not choose a BTEC. Also which ALevel subjects do you recommend he should choose if they were to study Accountancy at uni....
kabilan13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jerry)
Hi, so my younger brother is currently going into his first year of sixth form and he's interested in studying accountancy and finance when he goes to uni. I have a question regarding the subjects he's choosing which are as follows:
1. Economics
2. IT BTEC
3. Business BTEC

I wanted to know weather these are suitable subjects to choose if he will be studying accountancy and finance in the future. Will choosing 2 BTEC subjects put him at a disadvantage over other students who do not choose a BTEC. Also which ALevel subjects do you recommend he should choose if they were to study Accountancy at uni....
most unis prefer A level than BTECs.
if he wants to get into russel group unis then i would recommend A levels
recomended A levels
Accounting
Economics
Busiess studies
Maths
Further maths
or any other A levels
but try to doing economics and business together as unis dont prefer these together for some reason.
hopw this helps
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Having done a similar degree, the sort of material he will be coming across won't be overly demanding.
Preferable subjects/A Levels to do are:
Accounting
Business Studies - because you will be looking into how accounting will affect management in management accounting modules
Law - because there is discussion regarding legal framework in financial accounting

The maths he will come across is neglible at best - we're talking simple statistics and basic pure maths (hypothesis testing, linear programming, ratios, time value of money, percentages). Economics and statistics do come into it, but he won't need A Level Maths or Economics to cover them. The level of IT knowledge he needs is little to none, as far as I know. If he's good with Microsoft Office, and he's able to pick up statistical software to do basic regressions, he should be fine.

Pointers:
Most people I came across who did accounting strongly preferred doing management accounting over financial accounting because of the analytical nature of the modules.
Financial accounting, and subsequently auditing, look into the legal and accounting frameworks a lot more, although they will ask you to compile financial statements.
Business finance and economics are modules he will be coming across, but he will only need to be able to analyse information and understand abstract concepts to get through.
Most Accounting and Finance degrees have a law module, which I avoided like the plague, so law will come in handy.
Tax module will involve remembering a number of steps and referring to tables often. The level of maths involved is basic arithmetic.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (101)
27.3%
England (123)
33.24%
Belgium (29)
7.84%
Germany (40)
10.81%
Spain (8)
2.16%