Quantum Confinement
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How does the current know which way to split at a junction in a circuit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dantitch)
How does the current know which way to split at a junction in a circuit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's rather vague.

current is a rate of flow (of charged particles)
voltage is a force

R=V/I

which means resistance of a component is the amount of volts required to force a particular rate of flow through it.

parallel components have the same voltage across them.
so if you had a 10ohm and 20ohm resistors in parallel, the current forced through the 10ohm ohm would be twice the current forced through the 20 ohm
Desk-Lamp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
parallel components have the same voltage across them.
so if you had a 10ohm and 20ohm resistors in parallel, the current forced through the 10ohm ohm would be twice the current forced through the 20 ohm
Ah yes, but how does the current know? Do the electrons use telepathy to detect which path has more resistance before deciding which path to take? :dontknow:
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Desk-Lamp)
Ah yes, but how does the current know? Do the electrons use telepathy to detect which path has more resistance before deciding which path to take? :dontknow:
right, for metal wires and similar you can perhaps think of it as being ram packed with electrons. Perhaps like a pipe full of snooker balls, they can only shuffle forward when there's a space in front of them.

electrons can only turn into a branch at the same rate the electrons already in the branch are getting out of the other end.

sort o
Quantum Confinement
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
right, for metal wires and similar you can perhaps think of it as being ram packed with electrons. Perhaps like a pipe full of snooker balls, they can only shuffle forward when there's a space in front of them.

electrons can only turn into a branch at the same rate the electrons already in the branch are getting out of the other end.

sort o
Sound pretty much like what I've managed to understand from the rest of the internet, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (167)
59.01%
I don't have everything I need (116)
40.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed