Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - my turn for worrying. I've heard Cambridge doesn't like GCSE at grade C. I wanna apply for NatSci or Med, probably Med - it wouldn't matter, would it, my C? It's in German. And I don't have Maths A2 - I'm taking maths AS in college come september, just so I can apply for cam. I got B in GCSE maths. Would that matter? Cus I wouldn't have a maths grade to show em before applying etc! And in all honesty I was estatic about my B because I thought I had failed. So here - I'm rubbish at maths but if I take it it'll have to be an A for it to be any use for me. The only A I'm confident I'll get is my Art A-Level - my teacher has already mentioned he expects A or B from me at A2 Art and I haven't even started - problem though is Cam doesn't like art! Well?

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken to a few admissions tutors who state that GCSE results are a better predictor of success at Uni than AS results - so I guess they reallly do matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I've spoken to a few admissions tutors who state that GCSE results are a better predictor of success at Uni than AS results - so I guess they reallly do matter.
    But AS levels show how you're doing now, not a year or so ago. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    But AS levels show how you're doing now, not a year or so ago. :confused:

I'm only stating what three admissions tutors have told me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only stating what three admissions tutors have told me.
    I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    hi do ur gcses cont that much to get into unis

how bout someone with 9 a- a* (mandatory subjects plus french, history drama) and 1 b (art) would that count even if i was going for medicine or classic archeology and ancient history

God im really scared about taking art - should i be?
    People like you really make me want to grab your head and shove it up our ass! Your obviously one of the brainiest people I've ever heard of, no one in my school got all A/A*s, yet you worry because you got a B??? I didn't get any B's though...although I didn't get any As or A*s either, so maybe a bit of resentment on my side, but seriously; people like you worrying about what uni's will think of your amazing results make me with my 6Cs and 3Ds poo myself about what they'll think of me!!!
    So, when you're worrying, just think: at least im not bcr8iv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I know.

I think it's because GCSE's are supposed to test yor ability to apply your understanding of subjects, whilst A levels just test how well you can regurgitate facts - or at least that's what I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcr8iv)
    People like you really make me want to grab your head and shove it up our ass! Your obviously one of the brainiest people I've ever heard of, no one in my school got all A/A*s, yet you worry because you got a B??? I didn't get any B's though...although I didn't get any As or A*s either, so maybe a bit of resentment on my side, but seriously; people like you worrying about what uni's will think of your amazing results make me with my 6Cs and 3Ds poo myself about what they'll think of me!!!
    I could be wrong, but I understood that Amrou is currently going into year 10, so hasn't actually done his GCSEs yet (and is already obsessing about his results. Please relax; if you are this wound up now you won't even survive to apply to uni!)

ReputationRep:
    OMG, you guys are geniuses! i got 4 B's and 4 C's at GCSE, and i want to go into medicine.........i guess im doomed.......cn any1 give me advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because GCSE's are supposed to test yor ability to apply your understanding of subjects, whilst A levels just test how well you can regurgitate facts - or at least that's what I've been told.
    I disagree, i think GCSE shows more your attitude and willingness to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...GiNuWiNe...)
    OMG, you guys are geniuses! i got 4 B's and 4 C's at GCSE, and i want to go into medicine.........i guess im doomed.......cn any1 give me advice?
    do your a levels, then take a year out to gain some experience (apply after getting A2 results)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Please remove that from your above post. It's complete nonsense.
    what? if he/she gets 4 A alevels, then gsces wont matter (he has passed all of them at grade C or above)

ReputationRep:
    Please remove that from your above post. It's complete nonsense.
    sorry, i hoped everyone would realise that i meant: of course gcses are important, but a levels are more so

ReputationRep:
    You're still talking nonsense...
    I agree. Good GCSEs show continued dedication to study. Would you offer a place to an applicant who had AAAA at A2 and Cs and Bs at GCSE, or AAAA at A2 and A*s and As at GCSE. I know which one I'd choose!

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels are obviously more important, but why on earth ddi you say GCSE's won't matter? you know full well they do, certainly.
    sorry im talking nonsense (im quite tired) - it made sense when i thought it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    do your a levels, then take a year out to gain some experience (apply after getting A2 results)

nooo yr outs for me mate. im going to get AAA(b) thats the requirement, but i want to knw if even though i get those grades my GCSE's will affect my carreer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I agree. Good GCSEs show continued dedication to study. Would you offer a place to an applicant who had AAAA at A2 and Cs and Bs at GCSE, or AAAA at A2 and A*s and As at GCSE. I know which one I'd choose!
    Well I'd be more impressed with the person with Cs and Bs at GCSE and 4 As at A-level. It shows willingness to change ones attitude towards work - many people arn't ready for the stress of exams and thining about the future at 14-16 but once come to A-level are prepared to work harder.

Although I'd agree that an AT would probably favour the A* student I know a number of students similar to the first case who have got places at top 5 universities. I don't think that GCSEs show 'continued dedication to study' compared to A-levels as A-levels are modular so you can't just laze around in the first year, as many GCSE students do. (I know I was one of them )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Well I'd be more impressed with the person with Cs and Bs at GCSE and 4 As at A-level. It shows willingness to change ones attitude towards work - many people arn't ready for the stress of exams and thining about the future at 14-16 but once come to A-level are prepared to work harder.

Although I'd agree that an AT would probably favour the A* student I know a number of students similar to the first case who have got places at top 5 universities. I don't think that GCSEs show 'continued dedication to study' compared to A-levels as A-levels are modular so you can't just laze around in the first year, as many GCSE students do. (I know I was one of them )

I totaly agree with u!!!!
    I'm one of those as well . I didnt do well in my GCSEs (got Bs and Cs) but I worked so damn hard for my A-levels and came out with 4As, which was enough to convince UCL, YORK and BRISTOL, that I deserve to study economics&maths at those unis, which are by the way in the top 10!

ReputationRep:
    i got 4 Bs and 4 Cs at GCSE (maths- c, english-c, science- bb) and im sure i can get AAA(b) for A levels. will my GCSEs affect my future career?
    ( i plan on going onto medicine in either imperial or UCL or another uni) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelx)
    I totaly agree with u!!!!
    I'm one of those as well . I didnt do well in my GCSEs (got Bs and Cs) but I worked so damn hard for my A-levels and came out with 4As, which was enough to convince UCL, YORK and BRISTOL, that I deserve to study economics&maths at those unis, which are by the way in the top 10!
    Are you serious?

That is amazing..... You actually brightened up my day because I only got 4 x A's, 5 x B's, C, D....and I want to study Law at the top unis...I am predicted 4 X A's at A-levels.

Jason

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.