The Student Room Group

year 10 in sept.... what to expect?

hi,
just finished year 9 and im looking forward to year 10. so far my plans are to start revison for my year 10 science gcse exam. i currenntly have the cgp books for (core science) b1 c1 p1 and (additonal science )b2 c2 p2.
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

but however, i need help study. my main pproblem is that i cant concentrate when revising. i tend to listen to music and think about my future alot and i also tend to promote my revision date from when i first set it.... please help me with that.

back to the main point.

i reaLLy wanna do good in my gcse and im hoping to get great results.
so my question is should i start revising for gcse in year 10 .(please dnt tell me its too early).i really wana do good. so far i havent being serios with my education because i have being playing world of warcraft and other mmorpg games, but i want to stop now. i know i dont know the topics to revise on for the gces but please if you know please private message me and my plan is to ask the teacher for text books so i can revise the year 11 tiopics for all my gcse subject.. if they dont let me have it, then i just have to steal it.. lol no choice, i know its wrong but oh well.. i need the good grades.... i want a car better than a LAMBO!!!!!!
so please help me.. thanks

please also let me know of what to expect in year 10 apart from the gcse which i currently know about.

thanks for reading guys i know its extra loong but i will prove to you that i didnt waste your time with my great results.
thanks again guys.
(please answer my question if you feel like it and dnt tell me i posted in the qring place) thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm in the same situation, so you're not alone. Thankfully. My advice to you is that... No, you should not revise now for your mocks to be expected in year 10 for several reasons. 1. Do you really want to frustrate your mind with all this notes swirling in your mind for year 10, when you could enjoy your summer holidays as much as possible because it will not permissible for yr10 & yr11 - time will be spent constantly on studying, well for me exclusively. 2. You do not even know the syllabus for all your subjects to revise - science has to be done with your teacher for complete understanding. And why did you not care for your education during yr9? ( I know the answer & it's frivolous that you did not care!) Btw, year 11 is the year which you consolidate the knowledge you have ascertained from yr10 in all subjects, and submit it in a subtle, formal way (examination.) So study constantly during yr11, well that's my plan. In parallel to your answer about GCSEs, who would want to fail their GCSEs - exclude this if that person has poor logic in this complex world - simplicity is written in complexity. Btw, are you strong at history, like amazing? Like Level 7 student or top level 6 student? History is one of the hardest subjects to conquer because much knowledge is required to acknowledge, well if you're amazing at it, no problem. And you have problems concentrating during studying or studies? Do you know your learning style? Or, if you want to you can private message me for additional content. So this all it, all I know. Good luck for next year. I wish you all the best. I hope this content was useful for your curiosity.
I am exactly the samee!!! I have just finished year ten and I am about to go into year 11! For my options I chose history, graphics and Art. I think that the earlier you start revising the better! I started revising in year 7 to be honest because I can always remember looking up to the year 11s and knowing I wanted to be like them! people always told me that it was pointless and not worth the time.... but I am where I am today because of it! I used to make mindmaps and draw pictures of science related things and make them into story boards! I think thats different to how I revise today because it is alot lighter and less stressful.... meaning you don't have to cram it into your head! Again, don't go crazy doing hourrrss and houurrss on a night... just make suree you understand everything.... not memorise! Flash cardss where the best for me because I used to write elements on the front and the symbol on the back. I used to read them on the bus and at break times to see if I could remember them! I think you should do the same becausse it really helps when you get to year 11! I think History is the hardest subject ever.... I think I'm bad at it because I am so behind so I think that if you keep up with the work and homework.... you should be fine! As for graphics... i think it helps if you can draw but you can still get through it if you can't.... the exam is quite straight forward!!!

About the "I can't concentrate" thing, you said that you end up listening to music or watching telly, if so, then you know that you can't revise with distractions! That must be how you learn! Maybe try different things to do whilst revising like: film, music, eating food, having friends round, change the room you are in, watch telly.
If they don't work and you get distracted.... don't do it again! haha
I find that I get lots of work done when I listen to music through earphones... but I can't watch telly because I get distracted! haha
Also try finding your learning style on....

http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-learning-styles-quiz

Hope I helped :smile:
x
Reply 3
with Gcse's my adivice would be:

exams: start revising early but not too early, because you will get burn out and lose motivation. I would say start revising 2 months before if it's just 1 exam or if its a big load like your end of year 11 then start about 3 months before.

mocks: start about 1 month before. I didn't revise for my year 10 mocks because I was already in all the top sets at my school and would be taking all the higher papers anyway, but if your borderline foundation/higher then revise and try really hard so you get put in the higher set from the outset.

for the year 11 mocks it's really important to revise as if something goes wrong in your exams then they use the results to get your grade, there also what determine your predicted grades which sixith forms/colleges/ apprenticeships look at to decide whether to give you a place. also some of the information you learn from revising from them really eases the amount of stress and revision for the year 11 exams.

course work: really really focus hard on this. it can give you more insurance for your exams. in subjects like english and science it is really important to get good results. you will spend hours and hours of time on this but it''l be worth it.

revison: I listen to alpha wave binaural beats with meditation music over the top to revise Or some people recommend classical music. but you don't want to revise with music with words.

make sure you actually understand how things work, in subjects like history, geography and science this is so important. rather than remembering a list of facts you need to be able to understand how all the facts work together. ask your teachers for help with this if you need it.

really though have fun there is more to life than revision and studying. i didn't properly start revising unntil 2 months before my final exams I think I've done alright but really Having a good time is just as important as the GCSE's you come out with.
Original post by smartboy1331
x

So, firstly, there have been many threads asking for advice for going into Year 10/starting GCSEs. I'll link you to this one that I replied to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=49123239&highlight

There are more of those advice threads that will be mentioned in the new year 10 thread soon so I'll post the link once it's up :h:

Should you start revising?
Not really, you have LOTS of time to revise and so stressing yourself out now with revision is unnecessary. You're also most likely to forget what you've learned now by the time it comes to your exams, so there's really no point. Another thing I've noticed about myself and I've heard that other people have, is that they lack motivation to revise when they need to (near exam time) and that's because they revised too early on :smile:

What should I concentrate on? Like I've said in the other thread that I've linked, focus on staying on top of the work, don't fall behind, concentrate in class, do your homework etc. From what I've heard and from my own experience, Year 10 can be stressful at times (but manageable in my opinion) especially when doing pieces of coursework, controlled assessments.. so you should concentrate on them and like I said earlier, not put unnecessary pressure on yourself by revising for exams at the end of the year and in Year 11.

Better revision? Figure out what the problem stopping you from revising is. From what you've said, it seems to be the music and thinking about the future. Put away the music, tell your parents or siblings to check up on you or let them take away the distraction and not give you till you finish revision. Hopefully that'll help you concentrate on revision and maybe stop you from thinking about the future too (find that music sometimes makes you think like that) Also, do short bursts of revision and take breaks, reason being is that you'll probably concentrate more in this short period of time rather than a longer one. Another thing, work out a revision technique that works best for you? You have the time to explore different forms of revision so do that! I find that flashcards help me, may not work on everyone though because they'd get put off by the many cards :tongue: Auditory learning helps me too (watching videos, repeating stuff to myself out load, getting someone to ask me questions and tell me things)

For science, have a look at "myGCSEscience" YouTube videos. It'd be best if you could find out the exam board you'd be on for science so that more people could give you advice on that :smile: MyGCSEscience is on AQA, however, being on Edexcel, I still find it somewhat helpful :h:

Finally, I hope that you weren't serious about the stealing. It's wrong no matter what it is or what the motives behind it are.
(edited 9 years ago)
hi,just finished year 9 and im looking forward to year 10. so far my plans are to start revison for my year 10 science gcse exam. i currenntly have the cgp books for (core science) b1 c1 p1 and (additonal science )b2 c2 p2.my gcse options are historygeography graphic technology.but however, i need help study. my main pproblem is that i cant concentrate when revising. i tend to listen to music and think about my future alot and i also tend to promote my revision date from when i first set it.... please help me with that.back to the main point.i reaLLy wanna do good in my gcse and im hoping to get great results.so my question is should i start revising for gcse in year 10 .(please dnt tell me its too early).i really wana do good. so far i havent being serios with my education because i have being playing world of warcraft and other mmorpg games, but i want to stop now. i know i dont know the topics to revise on for the gces but please if you know please private message me and my plan is to ask the teacher for text books so i can revise the year 11 tiopics for all my gcse subject.. if they dont let me have it, then i just have to steal it.. lol no choice, i know its wrong but oh well.. i need the good grades.... i want a car better than a LAMBO!!!!!!so please help me.. thanksplease also let me know of what to expect in year 10 apart from the gcse which i currently know about.thanks for reading guys i know its extra loong but i will prove to you that i didnt waste your time with my great results.thanks again guys.(please answer my question if you feel like it and dnt tell me i posted in the qring place) thanks
I've just finished year 11 and I'm going into sixth form in September. There is so much hype into going into Year 10. My options for GCSE were History, Catering & French.I worked really hard in my option classes because I didn't have my friends to distract me. In my other classes, I slacked off. It's important to try your best, I know see that because your classwork reflects your predicted grades for the Year 11 exams. These predicted grades are looked at when you apply for Sixth Forms (if you choose to do A-Levels). I applied to do Psychology at my current school at the Sixth Form and I needed a predicted grade in Maths to be a 'B' and the same in English. My maths was a 'B' but English a 'C' from slacking and a hatred of the subject. I was only allowed to apply for Psychology because my predicted grades in History & Religious Studies were 'A's. You never think your past actions will come back to haunt you. I don't think I got any more homework in Year 10 than in the previous years. Coursework is introduced. It's important to do well in those, as they make up a percentage of your final grade. The exams are the other part of the percentage. Revision guides are also good. Find out your exam boards for your subjects and buy the specific books. I found them most helpful with History, RS and English Literature. Especially with RS. When I started Year 10, I was at a D+ in RS. After Christmas that year, I was at a D-. When I got the revision guide my grade boosted. I went from a D- to a C to a B at the end of year exam that year. I then went from a B to an A+ throughout Year 11. With maths, my school had signed up to this thing called MathsWatch, I used that the whole 2 years. I got a B overall in my year 10 end of year tests. It's basically videos explaining maths topics. Great resource. Someone suggested 'My GCSEScience' earlier. It's so good, the man explains the science so clearly with pictures, it's so great if you're a visual learner like me. He only does the exam board AQA though. He has videos on B1,B2,B3,C1,C2,C3,P1,P2,P3 (you'll understand what they mean when you start Year 10). I recommend using this, I regret finding the site so late. I spent the most part of year 10 struggling in science because I didn't understand the work. I'm even gonna use it for A-Level Biology in September, theres videos on it too. I have one more resource, Quizlet. I found this when I was revising for the GCSE exams. You can make flashcards of things you want to learn. From this, you can play games like snap to remember your vocab. I used this for French and History. I used it to remember dates and what happened at the times in History. It's nice to integrate these dates in tests and classwork. From all this, it seems like Year 10 is so hard, it honestly isn't. That's what I discovered from experiencing it. It's moderately difficult. When you get into Year 11, it's a different story completely, but you can cross that bridge when you get there. I wouldn't start revising now because you don't know what you're gonna be studying. Also you should enjoy your holiday. The GCSE years were probably the best years of my life so I hope you have a great time experiencing it :-).
You will probably have lots of controlled assessments to do, which is your to opportunity to secure marks because you can plan for them earlier on. Working hard, and organising well are key I guess.
Reply 7
thanks for your reply.. i really like the idea of using flash cards.. i think i gonna try that out.. thanks again
Reply 8
" Another thing I've noticed about myself and I've heard that other people have, is that they lack motivation to revise when they need to (near exam time) and that's because they revised too early on "

i think you are right becos when i revisied during august for my year 9 sats in 2013, by the time i got to may, i fought i knew everything on the revision, but i dint know i have forgotten most of the stuff and plus i couldnt ven force myself to revise, instead i end up watching tv and playing pc games.. even the weeek before my sats i couldnt even revise even thoug i knew i had to,, my brain felt lazy and i couldnt even understand what im reading....i think i will sick to your ideas and i ll try out flash ards...
thanks again for replying
Reply 9
hi,
thanks for the advice... one thing though how do i know what type of learner am i ?
thanks
watched some videos for the my sceincegsce and i found it really help.. guess im gonna be watching this rather than watching tv...hanks guys
i got Logical-Mathematical at 88% from the learning styles quiz
then Intrapersonal at 81%
then Visual-Spatial at 58%
and Bodily-Kinesthetic at 42%
One important thing that I can't underestimate is the value of reading and writing more, whatever the reading material, because developing such general skills will be the best way for you to prepare and take exams
I'm going into year 10 in September too. We started our Science GCSEs at the start of Year 9, so my school said that when we go back we're going to have exams for units 1, 2 and 3 :redface: I've been revising a lot but I'm the only one...everyone else is too busy going "la di da summer holiday definitely no work hahaha I'll do it the night before"

If you have to listen to music, listen to music without vocals. This could be dubstep, classical music etc.
hi,
just finished year 9 and im looking forward to year 10. so far my plans are to start revison for my year 10 science gcse exam. i currenntly have the cgp books for (core science) b1 c1 p1 and (additonal science )b2 c2 p2.
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

but however, i need help study. my main pproblem is that i cant concentrate when revising. i tend to listen to music and think about my future alot and i also tend to promote my revision date from when i first set it.... please help me with that.

back to the main point.

i reaLLy wanna do good in my gcse and im hoping to get great results.
so my question is should i start revising for gcse in year 10 .(please dnt tell me its too early).i really wana do good. so far i havent being serios with my education because i have being playing world of warcraft and other mmorpg games, but i want to stop now. i know i dont know the topics to revise on for the gces but please if you know please private message me and my plan is to ask the teacher for text books so i can revise the year 11 tiopics for all my gcse subject.. if they dont let me have it, then i just have to steal it.. lol no choice, i know its wrong but oh well.. i need the good grades.... i want a car better than a LAMBO!!!!!!
so please help me.. thanks

please also let me know of what to expect in year 10 apart from the gcse which i currently know about.

thanks for reading guys i know its extra loong but i will prove to you that i didnt waste your time with my great results.
thanks again guys.
(please answer my question if you feel like it and dnt tell me i posted in the qring place) thanks

Hi there I just finished year 10 and completed this exam, I did ocr gateway what exam board do you do. Today is the 21st of August and I have to go to school and find out my results, im sooooo scareeddd - il let yous know what I got! My advice would be the earlier you start the better, my teacher once told me no matter weather your a c,d,e student you can achieve an A* with the focus and determination(basically if you want it, you've got to try really hard and get it)

For the revision book, I would wait until September and find out what exam board you are doing in science because each exam board have their own revision book with their specification. Usually in my school we had to pay for a revision book for only £3 a CGP one, I don't think you should steal it. Don't your school sell them as schools put it cheaper because if you go to WHsmith they will be about 6 or 7 pound. Also you could try and go online loads of websites amazon,ebay.

Hope this helps future year 10's and good luck!!

p.s sorry its long!
tabithacrazy
x

Here are some other people also starting GCSEs next year! :biggrin:

Original post by sarahussainxxx
x

Original post by icy_typhoon
x

Original post by sunnydespair
x

Original post by helloitsmee
x

Original post by undine_monty
x
I'm going into year 10 and I'm really nervous too! I'm studying: maths, English language, English literature, RE, triple science (very nervous about this one), geography, music and french!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Here are some other people also starting GCSEs next year! :biggrin:

Haha I'm in Year 11, not 10
Original post by helloitsmee
Haha I'm in Year 11, not 10

Oh I know, I was just quoting you in too! So you could speak to the new Year 10s and share your wisdom :wink: :smile: :tongue:
i aint gonna steal.. i have changed my mind plus i have found a youtube channel for science.. so theres no point of stealing one.. btw i agree to start early because i wanna get an head start and learn alone first before learning from the teacher, which will make me understand it even more.. so thanks for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending