Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a very bad day which was finished off by a £21 library fine. I was not best pleased, don't librarys usually cap the maximum fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I've just had a very bad day which was finished off by a £21 library fine. I was not best pleased, don't librarys usually cap the maximum fine?
    I bet they were very quiet on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    and dont you find that the women who look after the libraries are really really annoying and hav enothng better to do than count up how many days your books are overdue

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding?

Books, free, for as long as you need them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I owe Alldays stores (now Co-Op) £145 in a fine I've already paid.

*******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    and dont you find that the women who look after the libraries are really really annoying and hav enothng better to do than count up how many days your books are overdue
    Yes I swear she was saying snyde things under her breath. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Are you kidding?

Books, free, for as long as you need them!
    Do I look like i'm kidding, i'm now £21 lighter in the wallet.:mad:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    ummm - why didn't you take the books back on time or phone up/go online and renew them?

ReputationRep:
    oy don't diss librarians!

it's your fault you don't return or renew your books on time! there is a max fine PER BOOK, so they do rack up if you don't return them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Hehe.
    When you sign up for a library card, you're agreeing to bring them back/renew them after 3 weeks.

I'd sy that's a fair deal.

How long did you have the books to get such an ouchy fine?

I work in the school library, and they don't have fines. Which is silly, people don't bring the books back.

Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    ummm - why didn't you take the books back on time or phone up/go online and renew them?
    I forgot to renew them online whilst I was at home over easter. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I raided a massive fine at my local library, when they told me i had a £36 fine, i told them i would bring the cash another time. I haven't been back :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    I raided a massive fine at my local library, when they told me i had a £36 fine, i told them i would bring the cash another time. I haven't been back :rolleyes:
    LOL! Yeah I thought about that but I have to use this library quite often unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    ah well... let that be a lesson

it's not as bad as the short loan books in my local uni library where iwork.... you can borrow them for 6 hours only, and the fine if you don't return on time is £5 an hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    I had a fine, and I shouldn't have as I brought the book back but they forgot to scan it though. I got angry and threw a book at the stupid librarian when she wouldn't shut up..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I had a fine, and I shouldn't have as I brought the book back but they forgot to scan it though. I got angry and threw a book at the stupid librarian when she wouldn't shut up..
    Librarians, eh?

Why can't they stick to their own rules for being quiet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    We have a system where you take books out for the whole holiday and return them afterwards, thus reducing potential fineage! We have to return everything about a week before the end of term, then about 2 days later they are released for vacation loans and there is absolute chaos in the library as everyone tries to get the popular books first thing in the morning! Still, it means we don't get nasty fines like that.

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor said that librarians must actually hate their jobs if they love books. People checking out your beautiful books, putting coffee on them, reading them and generally making them deteriorate at an alarming rate. Librarians would love rows and rows of pristine books that noone was allowed to read.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    S'not the library to blame then.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    ah well... let that be a lesson

it's not as bad as the short loan books in my local uni library where iwork.... you can borrow them for 6 hours only, and the fine if you don't return on time is £5 an hour!
    Our short loan section doesn't allow the books out of the section - unless you check them out at 4:30pm to be returned by 10:30am the next day.

Very annoying if you want to just take them to the computer labs to do a bit of writing etc.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.