The Student Room Group

Woke up to see clearing, end of life.

Please, if you have time any helpful advice is welcome.

Hello everyone, I'm 19 years old, I got D's, E's grades, now in clearing. :frown: Had offers from all 5 universities.

Total study: (2 years college 420 ucas + 5 months of failed A level results 0-50 ucas).
Total time passed: 3 years

I did 3 full A levels As+A2 self taught (first time doing an exam let alone touching maths in 3-4 years) with a study period possible of 5 months, I spent the rest of the first year trying to raise the money to pay for the private exams as well as deciding what to do such as trying apprenticeships.

I have already completed college and finished with a BTEC on 420 ucas points which are worth nothing for the top universities.

My secondary school didn't inform me of the differences of BTEC and A-level, I wish I had known about it, now I feel like I wasted 2 years on a BTEC. If I resit my A levels It'll now be the 4th year of education to get into university.

I have 100UMS in some of the exams and then terrible 3-20UMS in the rest, dragging me down.

I've still been studying maths since May due to wanting to study STEP anyway in 2015. I'm fairly confident that I can get A/A* results if I resit the exams.

Also I've decided to change disciplines to Medical so I'm not sure if resitting for maths will be any point, but instead go to learn Biology/Chem etc.

My parents will be very unhappy if I decide to not go university for another year, jobs are very scarce in my area and I'm afraid that if I do go into work I won't be able to concentrate to ensure good grades. I feel like clearing isn't for me, I feel very unhappy and not ready to go to a place that I don't know about. What to do now?

Thanks for reading.
Original post by beyorn

Hello everyone, I'm 19 years old, I got D's, E's grades, now in clearing. :frown: Had offers from all 5 universities.

Total study: (2 years college 420 ucas + 5 months of failed A level results 0-50 ucas).

I did 3 full A levels As+A2 self taught (first time doing an exam let alone touching maths in 3-4 years) with a study period possible of 5 months, I spent the rest of the first year trying to raise the money to pay for the private exams as well as deciding what to do such as trying apprenticeships.

I have already completed college and finished with a BTEC on 420 ucas points which are worth nothing for the top universities.

My secondary school didn't inform me of the differences of BTEC and A-level, I wish I had known about it, now I feel like I wasted 2 years on a BTEC. If I resit my A levels It'll now be the 4th year of education to get into university.

I have 100UMS in some of the exams and then terrible 3-20UMS in the rest, dragging me down.

I've still been studying maths since May due to wanting to study STEP anyway in 2015. I'm fairly confident that I can get A/A* results if I resit the exams.

Also I've decided to change disciplines to Medical so I'm not sure if resitting for maths will be any point, but instead go to learn Biology/Chem etc.

My parents will be very unhappy if I decide to not go university for another year, jobs are very scarce in my area and I'm afraid that if I do go into work I won't be able to concentrate to ensure good grades. I feel like clearing isn't for me, I feel very unhappy and not ready to go to a place that I don't know about. What to do now?

Thanks for reading.

Do what you want, it's your life and you need to make decisions that'll make you happy.
In your position I would go into clearing and go to a university. You're putting far too much emphasis on this top university thing. Look at the links universities have to industry and that is what you want more than anything because of they have good contacts and partners then you know you're on the right track.

Holding off is pointless really. You will only get asked in the future why did you fail? Why did you do a BTEC and waste time? The more time wasted is more questions they will throw at you in interview. Go to a decent university, work hard, get a good grade, get a job and do a masters and then a PhD or whatever.
Original post by beyorn

Thanks for reading.

Have you thought about doing an HND or foundation degree. Or going back to collage to do a 1 year access course?
Reply 4
You are putting way too much emphasis on how universities look in your eyes. In the end, it doesn't really matter where you go. Like Sanctimonious said above, industry links are more important than prestige.
My uni is 85th on the league tables for my course crying out loud and I still got the placement I wanted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by beyorn

Thanks for reading.

Those grades are not that bad
BTECs aren't a waste of time, you should do some research in to unis which will take BTECs. Some of the top unis in the UK do actually accept BTEC qualifications - even Brunel does.
Original post by mynameisntdoug
BTECs aren't a waste of time, you should do some research in to unis which will take BTECs. Some of the top unis in the UK do actually accept BTEC qualifications - even Brunel does.

so do both Oxbridge uni's and you can't get much better then those
Original post by New- Emperor
so do both Oxbridge uni's and you can't get much better then those

As I said most, and anyway if you're in clearing it's probable you won't get in to Oxbridge unis for grades which are probably much lower than usual entry criteria.
acoding to the BBC allot if not all of the topflight unis have clearing spots the year
Original post by Sanctimonious
In your position I would go into clearing and go to a university. You're putting far too much emphasis on this top university thing. Look at the links universities have to industry and that is what you want more than anything because of they have good contacts and partners then you know you're on the right track.

Holding off is pointless really. You will only get asked in the future why did you fail? Why did you do a BTEC and waste time? The more time wasted is more questions they will throw at you in interview. Go to a decent university, work hard, get a good grade, get a job and do a masters and then a PhD or whatever.

Great reply.. Learn from past mistakes. There are reasons why you have not performed. You know what they are, i dont. Take up the best Uni place you can find ,get your head down and study hard..dont make the same mistake again..
Original post by beyorn

Thanks for reading.

Hello,

Have you considered Lincoln? We have spaces available on our Chemistry course both BSc and MChem that may be of interest to you. You can find more information about them here. We also do lots of other courses that may take your fancy. If you like the look of them our friendly advisers can be contacted on 01522 886622 :smile:.

Hope this helps
Reece
(Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)
Original post by beyorn

Thanks for reading.

First off Btec's are not a waste of time of all the university's I considered only one said we don't accept Btec I mean you have 420 points that as someone else said both Oxford and Cambridge both are within the top 10 in the world and both accept Btec's so no your 420 points are not worthless.

If you want to do medicine then The way I see it you have several options see if you can do an access course designed for medical degrees this may be hard at 19 ( the age I assume you are) or try and get on medical foundation year ( I don't know if these exist) or scientific foundation year (these do exist)do a degree in micro biology or something like that then there is a post grad scheme to become a medic or go through clearing now (although it sounds like you need time to decide what you actually want to do) for a medical degree or microbiology degree and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
not going to comment on uni stuff, as im a few years out of date now (I first applied 6 years ago now..)

But just remember:

Your life is not over.

Trust me, Ive thought that so so many times, but it is never true.

In my time as a young person with no dirrection, I:

- Applied to 9 universitys over 3 different courses, as I did not know what to do..
- Went to none of these universities..
- Went to a different one through clearing, having missed grades
- Dropped out after 4 weeks
- Went to another university after a year of working
- Dropped out in year 2
- Went back to that same university to re-do year2
- Finished year two with a module missing, so my degree was capped at a 2.1
- Worked my ass off in year 3
- Graduated with a 2.1
- Seccured a job 3 days after my final exam in the field of my degree
- Started work, and moved into a lovely big flat with my fiance
- Got married

And now im here, with a lovely flat, a wife, a job that I love, enough money to enjoy myeslf, free time to pursue my other ambitions, and a really really happy life.

So if you take one thing from me: Your life is not over. - at so many of those points I thought mine was.. but you always just keep going, and even if it takes you longer then other people, even if you have more difficulties along the way, you can still make it.

It took me 5 years to get through university.. but I needed that, as well, I was a messed up person back then.. but I would not change it, as where I ended up was worth all the problems along the way.

So to repeat, (but its worth saying)

Your life is never over.

These are the problems you will need to overcome, and in doing so will make you into the person that one day will look back on your earlier life and be proud of how you came through difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending