shiannonkent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello my names shiannon and im 15, im doing my gcses this may and i want to know a few things..

How many hours a day did you study?(i get home tutored by the way)
And what were your results at the end of it?
What time should i start and finish?
How would you recommend i keep myself motivated?
Any tips or advice would be appreciated very very much!
Thankyou X
Applescruff
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shiannonkent)
Hello my names shiannon and im 15, im doing my gcses this may and i want to know a few things..
Heyy, I've done most of mine this year, so I can't tell you my results, but I can tell you that they aren't as difficult as you may think.

I'd recap all my notes from that day in the evening but that doesn't take more than half an hour per night. When exam time approached I revised a set number of pages per night (from a revision guide) which took around one to two hours.

I'd motivate myself with food - when I finish the page I get a cookie May not work for all but it totally did for me.

Oh, and also try to keep your lesson notes neat and organised - it saves a lot of time writing everything up at the end.

But seriously, just don't worry too much. With some subjects you'll have over half your marks prior to the exam. Plus GCSEs aren't really difficult. I'm sure one could get away with very little revision and still pass.

I managed an A* in RS last year doing this, I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck
shiannonkent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Applescruff)
Heyy, I've done most of mine this year, so I can't tell you my results, but I can tell you that they aren't as difficult as you may think.

I'd recap all my notes from that day in the evening but that doesn't take more than half an hour per night. When exam time approached I revised a set number of pages per night (from a revision guide) which took around one to two hours.

I'd motivate myself with food - when I finish the page I get a cookie May not work for all but it totally did for me.

Oh, and also try to keep your lesson notes neat and organised - it saves a lot of time writing everything up at the end.

But seriously, just don't worry too much. With some subjects you'll have over half your marks prior to the exam. Plus GCSEs aren't really difficult. I'm sure one could get away with very little revision and still pass.

I managed an A* in RS last year doing this, I'm sure you'll do fine. Best of luck
Thankyou very much!! Its very appreciated X
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How many hours a day did you study?
I only did my homework mostly. So basically nothing until 2 weeks prior to exams. For last two weeks before exams I did intensive revision on History. I get distracted at home so I stayed at school until 6:30pm (school ends at 4:30) or so for about 5 days. For science I had a massive class note skimming session for 3 hours a day before the exam. For geography I had a cram session on Tectonic topic and a few case studies a night before and the morning of the exam day. For both English and French, I did none except practice for French orals. For maths, I did two exam papers to check that I know every topic.
Sure, it's nothing compared to most of people here with similar results.
This is not revision, but these are the points what kept me at top level without revision:
- Do every homework
- Pay maximum attention in class
- Ask to the teacher if you are not completely sure about anything and make sure you understand it on the very same day

And what were your results at the end of it?
Science A*A*
French A*
History A*
Geography A*
English language A
English literature A
Still haven't got maths but I expect an A* as it's my average grade over 3 years. I may have choked in the exam and got an A, but still good enough.

What time should i start and finish?
It depends how long it takes for you to get to school/go back home and what time your school ends. It also depends on the person. How naturally intelligent you are, and how much you can absorb the information in the class. If you can absorb the information in class well like me, then you might not need hours of revision, but if you are absolutely bad at it then you will need to revise quite regularly. Also make sure to take a break time to time with glucose input to keep your concentration while revising. Intensive, concentrated revision of 30 mins is worth more than distracted revision of 3 hours.

How would you recommend i keep myself motivated?
My motivation isn't really common, I find. Some people get motivated by the idea of failure, or getting into Oxbridge, or getting X number of A*s, or set yourself an award such as buying an iPad if you get such and such results. For me, I work because I enjoy. I didn't "work" as in revision, but I worked as in researching further beyond GCSE syllabus for topics I was interested in (sciences in particular). But I wouldn't recommend doing this if you are not confident that you are able to achieve the top grades without revision like me.
I personally was not that motivated for most of the subjects as you can see from my revision time anyway. I was only motivated for science (although I didn't revise, it's because I can absorb 80% of stuff in class. my motivation went into reading extra article/watching extra video in science as I said above) because I love it. I did revision for history as dates and people's names are the only thing I cannot absorb in the class and not because I was motivated lol

Anyway good luck. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (101)
59.06%
Yes- I don't like it (9)
5.26%
No- I want it (49)
28.65%
No- I don't want it (12)