Do I Have to Be Able to Prove My Previous Employment?

Watch
Imy-95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm job hunting and currently I am working voluntarily in a charity shop the past few months however the manager refuses to give a reference until I've worked there for at least 6 months. I already have two references (one educational and one of previous employment) however the voluntary work I am doing now is relevant to the roles I am applying for (retail, customer service etc.), I've listed the experience on my CV however I'm not going to be able to get a reference from the employer until 6 months have passed? Will this be problematic to employers when applying for relevant roles even though I can already provide two references albeit not one of an employer with which I had relevant experience? :s

Also, is it important to state on the CV the duration of employment?

Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Imy-95)
It is usual to put dates in a CV, so yes, there will be a start date and end date (if you no longer work/volunteer there).

Employers ask for references, you provide contact details for those references. It's up to you who you offer, so it doesn't matter if you offer the volunteer manager or not.

The reason the Volunteer Manager will not give a reference for 6 months is a) because to give a meaningful reference you have to see a decent duration of work and b) to stop people volunteering and taking up time and effort for a couple of weeks just until they get a reference and then disappearing. However, if you told them you would continue to volunteer, I would have thought they'd give a reference before the 6 month point.
Imy-95
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It is usual to put dates in a CV, so yes, there will be a start date and end date (if you no longer work/volunteer there).

Employers ask for references, you provide contact details for those references. It's up to you who you offer, so it doesn't matter if you offer the volunteer manager or not.

The reason the Volunteer Manager will not give a reference for 6 months is a) because to give a meaningful reference you have to see a decent duration of work and b) to stop people volunteering and taking up time and effort for a couple of weeks just until they get a reference and then disappearing. However, if you told them you would continue to volunteer, I would have thought they'd give a reference before the 6 month point.
Thanks, that's all I was really unsure about.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm job hunting and currently I am working voluntarily in a charity shop the past few months however the manager refuses to give a reference until I've worked there for at least 6 months. I already have two references (one educational and one of previous employment) however the voluntary work I am doing now is relevant to the roles I am applying for (retail, customer service etc.), I've listed the experience on my CV however I'm not going to be able to get a reference from the employer until 6 months have passed? Will this be problematic to employers when applying for relevant roles even though I can already provide two references albeit not one of an employer with which I had relevant experience? :s

Also, is it important to state on the CV the duration of employment?

Thanks
how long have you been volunteering at the charity shop?
Imy-95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
how long have you been volunteering at the charity shop?
Nearly 2 months now.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nearly 2 months now.
Oh right. I was going to say that if you had been there nearly 6 months, then you would have been there the 6 months by the time you got to the references section of jobs you are applying for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.43%

Watched Threads