Maths Degree - A level choices, humanities a disadvantage?

Watch
Skitee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm sorry if this isn't the correct subforum to put this thread in, I had a look around and couldn't see any others which were more suitable. Please move my thread if necessary.

I want to do a Maths degree, hopefully at a top university. I've got my AS results which were four As, Maths and Further Maths being ~99% so in terms of grades I should be okay. My other two A levels are English Lit and Chemistry, both of which I got an A and about ~89%. Since I want to do a Maths degree I definitely need Maths and Further Maths to A2.

I think that I need to drop one, since I don't think I could cope with the workload of four a levels. I badly want to drop chemistry since I find it boring, useless and not intellectually challenging. However, I've been looking around and some of the universities (e.g. Imperial) prefer maths undergraduates to have done a science A level along with maths and Further Maths. I would rather do English Lit to A2 but my fear is that some universities might reject me on that basis.

I personally think that English Lit to A2 is far more useful for me than Chemistry to A2, but I know that some universities disagree with that.

My question, therefore, is to any people with any knowledge of maths degrees, even people who may have been in the same situation as I am in now. Is it a disadvantage to have a "humanities" subject like English Lit as your third subject before doing a Maths degree? If so, how much of a disadvantage? Do you know anyone who is doing a Maths degree right now who did do a humanities subject as their third A2 subject?

Would appreciate help/advice,
thanks
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some universities will accept you with English Lit as a third A-level. However, as you have discovered, some will prefer a science A-level. You have to decide if you are willing to limit your university choices in this way. However, if you don't enjoy chemistry, you're probably going to get a better grade in English, which could help you achieve your offer next year.

Take your time to look at universities which don't ask for a science A-level alongside maths/further maths, and see if you can find 2-3 at least that you'd be really pleased to get into. If you can, then go with English. If you can't, then you need to think very carefully about your next step. Do remember that "prefer" doesn't equal "absolutely essential"- Even if you do keep English, you could still apply to 1 university which prefers a science, and see how you get on, especially if you impress in other ways.
momanium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very good advice above.

Just balance the next year vs what uni's you want to apply to.

Its a tough choice, but I would stick chem out as long as you don't currently struggle with it!
Skitee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
Some universities will accept you with English Lit as a third A-level. However, as you have discovered, some will prefer a science A-level. You have to decide if you are willing to limit your university choices in this way. However, if you don't enjoy chemistry, you're probably going to get a better grade in English, which could help you achieve your offer next year.

Take your time to look at universities which don't ask for a science A-level alongside maths/further maths, and see if you can find 2-3 at least that you'd be really pleased to get into. If you can, then go with English. If you can't, then you need to think very carefully about your next step. Do remember that "prefer" doesn't equal "absolutely essential"- Even if you do keep English, you could still apply to 1 university which prefers a science, and see how you get on, especially if you impress in other ways.
Thanks a lot for the help! Really useful and I definitely appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (52)
27.96%
No (134)
72.04%

Watched Threads