The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Scared i'm not gonna fit in on freshers :(

I'm going to be a graphic design student at sheffield hallam in september but for freshers week I am more into games and music, I don't drink so I am worried I won't make many friends because everyone will be getting drunk.
I don't know what to do??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lalenm8
I'm going to be a graphic design student at sheffield hallam in september but for freshers week I am more into games and music, I don't drink so I am worried I won't make many friends because everyone will be getting drunk.

Just be yourself :smile: I'm the same, although I do drink... but not a lot. And even though I do I've never even been clubbing or to a bar :P Only pubs aha. There will be plenty of opportunities to hang out with people that don't necessarily involve drinking :biggrin:

Just say you don't drink and people will understand! I suppose you could go on nights out and just have coke or whatever else :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by xmertic
Just be yourself :smile: I'm the same, although I do drink... but not a lot. And even though I do I've never even been clubbing or to a bar :P Only pubs aha. There will be plenty of opportunities to hang out with people that don't necessarily involve drinking :biggrin:

Just say you don't drink and people will understand! I suppose you could go on nights out and just have coke or whatever else :smile:

thank you it means a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I had that worry. I'm a mature (ish!) second year student and I commute so thought I wouldn't be able to form a solid group of friends who I'd genuinely get along with. Uni is full of people from all backgrounds with varied interests so you've no need to worry, whether you find people who have similar or different interests. I don't think I've ever felt out of place because I don't really drink and I have a great friendship group, full of people with different interests, ages etc. Hallam is such a friendly, great place to be, so don't let this worry you. Go and enjoy it!

Maybe you could look at societies during freshers and sign up to any that interest you at the hubs. They're a great way to meet new people with similar interests. http://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/get_involved/societies/

Try not to worry! You'll be fine :smile: Enjoy!
Your not alone, I feel exactly the same. Im more of the type that stays at home on a game or on the Internet listening to Music or just hanging around with friends. From what I seen from the media on University life and freshers week im freaking out.

I don't really drink and even when I do its very little and clubs don't interest me, so im scared ****less.

But hey like xmertic said be yourself, join societies find people who share interests; don't be pressured into what you don't want to do. In a large University like Sheffield Hallam you are bound to find someone with similar interests that don't drink.

Hope this helped as writing this made me feel better.:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by HullnotUll
Your not alone, I feel exactly the same. Im more of the type that stays at home on a game or on the Internet listening to Music or just hanging around with friends. From what I seen from the media on University life and freshers week im freaking out.

I don't really drink and even when I do its very little and clubs don't interest me, so im scared ****less.

But hey like xmertic said be yourself, join societies find people who share interests; don't be pressured into what you don't want to do. In a large University like Sheffield Hallam you are bound to find someone with similar interests that don't drink.

Hope this helped as writing this made me feel better.:smile:

thank you v much I appreciate it haha I just hope I'll find people I'll be okay with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lalenm8
thank you v much I appreciate it haha I just hope I'll find people I'll be okay with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey any time, I feel the same way and hope I find people to. ^_^
I've always been exactly the same, I'll drink a little - but would never go out and get drunk. But my friend is exactly the same and said it's surprising how many people are in the same situation - so, just be yourself. Everyone will love you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by HullnotUll
Hey any time, I feel the same way and hope I find people to. ^_^

You're free to message me anytime if you're feeling alone at university :-) I'm probably going to be spending most of my three years on the internet hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Jack Burrows
I've always been exactly the same, I'll drink a little - but would never go out and get drunk. But my friend is exactly the same and said it's surprising how many people are in the same situation - so, just be yourself. Everyone will love you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you 🌝 I hope so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lalenm8
You're free to message me anytime if you're feeling alone at university :-) I'm probably going to be spending most of my three years on the internet hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll probably spend a lot of time on the internet to. :smile: And I may just do that.
I didn't drink in my first year at university and it was fine. It was a bit awkward when I said on the first night that I didn't really drink and so my flatmates tried to persuade me to have at least one drink but honestly it is fine.

I would advise you to still go out with everyone for at least the first week of freshers as you really do bond on these nights out, drunk or not. I guess it does depend on who you are with but you are likely to be with a large group of people from your halls on freshers that you are not going to be the only one who doesn't drink or doesn't drink excessively!
My god. This is why I am so critical of the UK sending children to university. Insecure, confused, clueless. Uni entry age should be 20 or 21 like in Germany, people can actually be taken somewhat seriously at that age.
Original post by Lalenm8

Why do you not drink? Is it health or religious reasons? Honestly I can tell you drink itself just facilitates these situations and takes away any awkward atmosphere. You do not necessarily need to be drunk but alcohol can be a great ice breaker.
Loads of people i know don't drink at university and they are probably the most fun. Just enjoy yourself and make a few friends and it'll all be good. If you're into music then in flat parties you go and control it and show your music taste, someone will compliment it. I go out many times completely sober because I have something in the morning which means i can't be hungover. Just stick to some energy drink and you'll be having a great time.

good luck!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by tomsmith2014
Loads of people i know don't drink at university and they are probably the most fun. Just enjoy yourself and make a few friends and it'll all be good. If you're into music then in flat parties you go and control it and show your music taste, someone will compliment it. I go out many times completely sober because I have something in the morning which means i can't be hungover. Just stick to some energy drink and you'll be having a great time.

good luck!!

hahaha thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by MAESTRO265
Why do you not drink? Is it health or religious reasons? Honestly I can tell you drink itself just facilitates these situations and takes away any awkward atmosphere. You do not necessarily need to be drunk but alcohol can be a great ice breaker.

I'm not sure why I don't drink, it just never attracted me - I've tried this year different alcohols but to me I haven't enjoyed any

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lalenm8
I'm not sure why I don't drink, it just never attracted me - I've tried this year different alcohols but to me I haven't enjoyed any

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats alright everyone's different, I personally like the feeling but whatever works for you
Reply 18
I'm going to struggle too.
I have 2 daughter's I'm lucky I'll be living at home with my wife and kids and uni is a about 30 minutes away so your not be the only one not out at night. I be attending events during the day. While kids are at school.
Your always welcome to come out with me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending