?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I got my AS results today, which turned out to be:

English Literature: B
History: B
Sociology: B
Religious Studies: B

I am planning to study History at University, perhaps standalone, or combined with English Lit, Sociology or American Studies.

The problem is, I am having alot of trouble being able to tell which universities are good or not. I will want to be applying to BBB/ABB Universities, does anyone have any advice on good Universities for History of these grades?

I was looking at the Russell Group universities like the Uni of Manchester before, but sadly I now think them unachievable, so I really need some alternatives if I have a chance of being able to apply this year!

Does anyone have any personal recommendations of Uni's they know of these entry requirements for History or any combinations that are known to be 'good' Universities? E.g. good standard of teaching, student satisfaction?

Thank you!
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moved to History forum
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by georgiacarly)
Hi,

I got my AS results today, which turned out to be:

English Literature: B
History: B
Sociology: B
Religious Studies: B

I am planning to study History at University, perhaps standalone, or combined with English Lit, Sociology or American Studies.

The problem is, I am having alot of trouble being able to tell which universities are good or not. I will want to be applying to BBB/ABB Universities, does anyone have any advice on good Universities for History of these grades?

I was looking at the Russell Group universities like the Uni of Manchester before, but sadly I now think them unachievable, so I really need some alternatives if I have a chance of being able to apply this year!

Does anyone have any personal recommendations of Uni's they know of these entry requirements for History or any combinations that are known to be 'good' Universities? E.g. good standard of teaching, student satisfaction?

Thank you!
There are good universities not in the Russell Group, membership of which is based on research not teaching. About a third of the top 30 in the Complete University Guide table for History are not members, for example. (Not that I like league tables!)

Off the top of my head, with ABB you could get into Leicester or Kent for example.

Try going to whatuni.com, select degrees in the dropdown at the top of thepage (i.e. not Clearing) and History. On the next page you can put in your anticipated results to see what is on offer.

You might find that entry requirements are slightly easier if you combine history with a less popular subject.
Charliemouse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hull has a great history department and they have lowered the requirements to BBB now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (23)
13.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (48)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (69)
40.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (24)
14.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.96%

Watched Threads