The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Art - Can someone explain Assessment Objectives for me please?

Can someone please explain and translate these assessment objectives off the Art Specification to help me understand what's needed? Examples would be great to please :smile::smile::smile:!!!

AO1: A highly developed ability to effectively develop and creatively explore ideas through investigations informed by contextual and other sources. A confident and highly developed ability to demonstrate analytical and cultural understanding.

AO2: A highly developed ability to thoughtfully refine ideas through purposeful and discriminating experimentation and selection of appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes as their work progresses.

AO3: A highly developed ability to fluently and skilfully record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions in visual and/or other forms. Written communication to record ideas, where appropriate, is fluent and accurate.

AO4: A highly developed ability to competently present an imaginative, personal, informed and meaningful response when realising intentions. A highly developed ability to demonstrate critical understanding and where appropriate, make perceptive and discriminating connections between visual, written, oral or other elements.

Thank you :smile:
I received 100% in GCSE Art and Design and to be honest its not that much of a big deal knowing what these are, but from what I understand.

A01: A good base idea with lots of research presented in your sketch book - mind maps, analyzing things etc showing written ability.

A02: Refine your mind maps to one idea. Explore this in much detail analytically and aesthetically. Explore things like colour, shape, mood all that basic stuff and start to experiment and develop these ideas further. You usually do this by analyzing artists work by writing about it and recreating it and then reflect on what went right, what went wrong and how this will influence your own work! - that bit is very important.

A03: Good observations of things. This can be done via photography, sketch and media - the more the better as it counts for experimentation which is valued a lot. You basically create your own images and reproduce them into this Artists style you have been studying. You must then refine this and again say whats good and bad and then begin to create developed pieces, and refine these into final designs. This process takes a while.

A04: Basically your final piece. It must reflect everything you have analysed in the projected and explored showing a clear journey through it. If its not clear to you it certainly won't be evident to the examiner so make sure of it being coherent is my number one tip. The piece doesn't have to be aesthetically beautiful but must reflect everything you have done not just a random piece out of the blue. It must be your own work and preferably from your own photos to gain extra marks you cannot reproduce an artists piece of work really.

Goodluck, any other questions feel free to ask!
Original post by revisioner
Can someone please explain and translate these assessment objectives off the Art Specification to help me understand what's needed? Examples would be great to please :smile::smile::smile:!!!

AO1: A highly developed ability to effectively develop and creatively explore ideas through investigations informed by contextual and other sources. A confident and highly developed ability to demonstrate analytical and cultural understanding.

AO2: A highly developed ability to thoughtfully refine ideas through purposeful and discriminating experimentation and selection of appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes as their work progresses.

AO3: A highly developed ability to fluently and skilfully record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions in visual and/or other forms. Written communication to record ideas, where appropriate, is fluent and accurate.

AO4: A highly developed ability to competently present an imaginative, personal, informed and meaningful response when realising intentions. A highly developed ability to demonstrate critical understanding and where appropriate, make perceptive and discriminating connections between visual, written, oral or other elements.

Original post by revisioner

AO1 - Here you are marked for being aware of and exploring artists. For example, evaluating in writing different artists works and your thoughts on them. So basically, this is where they mark the pages where you talk about different artists. This is the easiest to gain marks in, as you just need to make nice looking pages that are in the colour scheme and style of the artist and write well about the artists works.

AO1 Grade A* Example: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/056/b/5/gcse_art_year_11__bill_viola_artist_research_by_daintystain-d77yoeq.jpg

AO2 - For this objective you have to show you're able to expand and create ideas from artists works, for example do a piece of work in the style of an artist. You need to experiment with multiple techniques, expanding in each one (for example by using different mediums which you also get marked for here).

AO2 Grade A* Example: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/056/2/a/gcse_art_year_11__photography__water_related__by_daintystain-d77yotx.jpg

AO3 - This objective is marked on your ability to record how you made your pieces of work. For this you just need to write loads of commentary on how you made each drawing/picture you did, and include loads of pics of you doing it - for example if it's a painting pictures of each layer, pictures of you doing the end details, pictures illustrating the differences before and after the details were added and so forth. If you do this well and for all your work, you'll easily gain a lot of marks here.

AO3 Grade C Example: http://artintheheartblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/gcse-art-ideas_0.jpg

AO4 - This is where you're marked for your artistic ability in your responce pieces, and marked on how relative and inspired they are to the artists you explored. If you don't know what response pieces are, they're pieces of work you make in A0 - A3 in the style of the artists outside of your sketchbook. All the loose pieces of work/finished pieces you've made related to the artist(s) you've explored.

Grade B Jenny Saville Inspired Response for AO4: http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/033/7/b/jenny_saville_02_by_radicalroach-d38mxc8.jpg

Grade A* Response for AO4 (Don't know which artist this person did their work relating to): http://sandringham.herts.sch.uk/dp/sites/default/files/Freya%2520Saleh.jpg

Some additional information and help can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/art/aos/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you everyone :smile: I understand now I think!
Reply 4
Is there any other ideas and helpful advice anyone can give me please. I really want 90%+?!

:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest