The Student Room Group

Upcoming applications

Alright, so I just finished my first year in Sixth Form and managed to get into my second year. I had missed about 25% of my classes and didn't revise at all which lead to me dropping one of my subjects; Law.

Outcome Grades:

English Language - C
English Media Studies - C
Information Technology - D
General Studies - E

Considered I didn't revise and missed a fair amount of time off school I'm glad to some extent that I managed to get into the second year; due to having no backup due to dropping Law due to lack of dedication.

Since the exams and such for the past few weeks I've gathered myself together some sort of a 'wake-up' call knowing that I only have one year left before I may be at Uni, which has leading me onto a few questions I'm having.

Firstly, would my attendance affect my application to a University even if this year I get 100% and last year was 75%ish?

Secondly, although I didn't get the best grades I know with effort that I can achieve much more; however Uni's wouldn't take that into consideration I presume.
- Therefore would my AS grades affect my applications to some extent; enough to possibly ruin my chances of a decent Uni?

Finally, would it be too much of a reach to apply to a Uni of the likes of Loughborough; which I'm interested in very much, with the expected grades of AAB/ABB in relation to my current grades?

(At the end of year 13 I'd expect something around BBB, therefore in my own eyes if I put the effort in I believe I can get there.)

Please be as detailed as possible about anything that may help, the more info the better.

- Thanks Kyle.
Original post by Jonesym8
Alright, so I just finished my first year in Sixth Form and managed to get into my second year. I had missed about 25% of my classes and didn't revise at all which lead to me dropping one of my subjects; Law.

Outcome Grades:

English Language - C
English Media Studies - C
Information Technology - D
General Studies - E

Considered I didn't revise and missed a fair amount of time off school I'm glad to some extent that I managed to get into the second year; due to having no backup due to dropping Law due to lack of dedication.

Since the exams and such for the past few weeks I've gathered myself together some sort of a 'wake-up' call knowing that I only have one year left before I may be at Uni, which has leading me onto a few questions I'm having.

Firstly, would my attendance affect my application to a University even if this year I get 100% and last year was 75%ish?

Secondly, although I didn't get the best grades I know with effort that I can achieve much more; however Uni's wouldn't take that into consideration I presume.
- Therefore would my AS grades affect my applications to some extent; enough to possibly ruin my chances of a decent Uni?

Finally, would it be too much of a reach to apply to a Uni of the likes of Loughborough; which I'm interested in very much, with the expected grades of AAB/ABB in relation to my current grades?

(At the end of year 13 I'd expect something around BBB, therefore in my own eyes if I put the effort in I believe I can get there.)

Please be as detailed as possible about anything that may help, the more info the better.

- Thanks Kyle.

Hi Kyle,

Firstly, well done on your grades!

Your UCAS form doesn't include your attendance. The only way the universities will know is if your college mentions it in the reference and says that you were a poor attendee. Some schools let their students see the reference whereas others keep the reference private.

Your AS levels will affect your application, yes, as the universities can see what you have achieved. However, some universities place more emphasis on AS grades than others. The most important aspect will be your predicted grades and if they are realistic. If you are predicted BBB and your teacher provides a solid reference saying that they think BBB is achievable for you and this year was a blip, then that should be okay for most universities. However the key thing here is that you do actually need to be realistically able to get BBB - there's no point getting a load of offers and this being unrealistic as to actually go to these universities you do need to meet the offer.

With Loughborough the above comments somewhat apply. Do you genuinely think that you are capable of getting AAB? Would your teachers think that you can get AAB? If yes, then there's no harm in applying and seeing what happens as long as you have some other choices (that you want to go to) as back ups and accept that you may well be disappointed when they get back to you. It's generally not advisable to have more than 2 highly aspirational choices though unless the reality is that these universities are the only ones where you do want to attend and you don't want to go anywhere else, as if you don't want to go there then there's no point in applying. However, from what you've said, I'm not sure whether you consider AAB to be realistic grades, so this is something you need to think about over the next couple of weeks.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending