AS Level Results - Dissapointed. Any Inspiration on Retaking AS Modules into A2??

Watch
Dark Rocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello TSR dudes,

I received my AS Results today and quite frankly, turned out to be the exact opposite. CEEE (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Economics). I have my heart fixed on doing Neurosciences (Masters) at The University of Manchester for September 2015. Just been given a option by my Sixth Form that I can take up Biology, Chemistry and Psychology next year, retake my AS Modules in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology wherein I did not perform as well as I hoped to originally. I would like some inspiration and some motivation from you guys on the basis on getting shockingly low grades at AS and somehow top it with AAA at A Level? Please give me advice and tips. Much Appreciated and Please Help Me! Decision is due to be made on Wednesday afternoon...
Artfanatic
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dark Rocks)
Hello TSR dudes,

I received my AS Results today and quite frankly, turned out to be the exact opposite. CEEE (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Economics). I have my heart fixed on doing Neurosciences (Masters) at The University of Manchester for September 2015. Just been given a option by my Sixth Form that I can take up Biology, Chemistry and Psychology next year, retake my AS Modules in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology wherein I did not perform as well as I hoped to originally. I would like some inspiration and some motivation from you guys on the basis on getting shockingly low grades at AS and somehow top it with AAA at A Level? Please give me advice and tips. Much Appreciated and Please Help Me! Decision is due to be made on Wednesday afternoon...
I am sorry but if you really wanted it, you wouldn't put that fate in that hands of strangers. Only you know if AAA is achievable! Goodluck
Dark Rocks
Rep:
(Original post by Artfanatic)
I am sorry but if you really wanted it, you wouldn't put that fate in that hands of strangers. Only you know if AAA is achievable! Goodluck
It is hard but I accept the fact that I have just 9 months to prove everything once again and I know for a fact that the potential I have is so much but its a big ask and now taking a lot of sacrifices such as cutting social media and cutting back the time wasting and focus on improving my AS Module practice alongside my A2 Modules and my A2 subjects are synoptic which means that my AS practice will come in handy once again so I may consider this a blessing in disguise and another renewed chance to push for AAA next year as an overall next year of my 2 years of study.

(Btw, I have started preparing for my AS Module retake preparation now so I need to tackle the parts where I have gone wrong in these next 3 weeks and have a confident and focused mind for 2015 but thanks for the advice )
Artfanatic
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It is hard but I accept the fact that I have just 9 months to prove everything once again and I know for a fact that the potential I have is so much but its a big ask and now taking a lot of sacrifices such as cutting social media and cutting back the time wasting and focus on improving my AS Module practice alongside my A2 Modules and my A2 subjects are synoptic which means that my AS practice will come in handy once again so I may consider this a blessing in disguise and another renewed chance to push for AAA next year as an overall next year of my 2 years of study.

(Btw, I have started preparing for my AS Module retake preparation now so I need to tackle the parts where I have gone wrong in these next 3 weeks and have a confident and focused mind for 2015 but thanks for the advice )
To be quite honest social media should be the least of your problems. I created revision notes every week of AS-Level so gave up my social life as sacrifice. If you friends love you that much they will still be there for you - you may drift a part but what you expect to happen when you go your seperate ways to uni? Are you gonna be remembering the times you were sitting in your free talking about Eastenders? Probably not but I am sure you will remember the feeling of doing amazingly on results day after you put all that effort in for those clearly very valuable A grades. You can do it but there is no point sugar coating it saying it won't be hard. It will but you can do it!
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The first thing you need to do is rethink why you want to do a neuroscience degree. Do you have an aptitude for sciences. Why were the marks so low ?
Leechayy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Hey,

I'm practically doing the same thing as you for my subjects. I wanna do CompSci next year at unis with offers ranging from A*AA-ABB and I have BCD at AS Level. I'm practically doing 4 A-Levels in one year
Retake them put your entire heart into it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

It's not about how realistic a goal is it's about how far you are willing to go to achieve that goal. And if your ambition to improve and excel is worth the turmoil then go for it!

PS: Focus on the little things after you get into uni

PSS: Just imagine the satisfaction you'd get if you recieved AAA in your results next year or even better
Dark Rocks
Rep:
(Original post by sunnydespair)
The first thing you need to do is rethink why you want to do a neuroscience degree. Do you have an aptitude for sciences. Why were the marks so low ?
Actually, the reason why I want to do a neuroscience degree is that I have a real big interest in how the human brain performs. I am very curious about the human brain perfoming functions such as the way we balance, understand our vision, why do we remember such expanse amount of information yet we say that we can't recall most of it. The marks were low because of various factors playing in. Some are that I can't write as fast as other candidates which causes me to lose such vital time and lose out time into answering the more lengthy questions. Another was that my exam technique and exam preparation may have been lacking in areas that caused a bigger disaster to occur. I now know what to improve and what do do about my problem and that is to go over exam papers and understand how to work around my weakness and play my strengths next time.
Dark Rocks
Rep:
(Original post by Leechayy)
Hey,

I'm practically doing the same thing as you for my subjects. I wanna do CompSci next year at unis with offers ranging from A*AA-ABB and I have BCD at AS Level. I'm practically doing 4 A-Levels in one year
Retake them put your entire heart into it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

It's not about how realistic a goal is it's about how far you are willing to go to achieve that goal. And if your ambition to improve and excel is worth the turmoil then go for it!

PS: Focus on the little things after you get into uni

PSS: Just imagine the satisfaction you'd get if you recieved AAA in your results next year or even better
Thank you for such a brilliant and inspirational paragraph Leechayy, I was tearing up for 3/4 hours with such low confidence and my parents tried consoling me ever since about my AS Results and told me that it is never the end, next year you will shine and prove a lot more. Teachers have consoled me and have told me that its just my potential is yet to come from me. I am willing to exceed and come out of my shell and start playing a big part in my A Level studies. My future and its what I want in Life. People have questioned on my ability, sometimes it takes me time to adapt and learn my mistakes. Thank you once again for building this confidence!:rolleyes:
Dark Rocks
Rep:
(Original post by Artfanatic)
To be quite honest social media should be the least of your problems. I created revision notes every week of AS-Level so gave up my social life as sacrifice. If you friends love you that much they will still be there for you - you may drift a part but what you expect to happen when you go your seperate ways to uni? Are you gonna be remembering the times you were sitting in your free talking about Eastenders? Probably not but I am sure you will remember the feeling of doing amazingly on results day after you put all that effort in for those clearly very valuable A grades. You can do it but there is no point sugar coating it saying it won't be hard. It will but you can do it!
I think my biggest weakness is I do procrastinate and leave things at such a late stage that it comes to a point that there is no time into making AS Revision Notes. Now I am trying to enhance my knowledge for now of my AS for A2 so that with AS and A2, I learn, adapt, apply and understand at the same time when applied to such an advanced level. Now 3 weeks of ironing out problems and getting my life back on track for 2015. No more messups and time to man up.
Leechayy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for such a brilliant and inspirational paragraph Leechayy, I was tearing up for 3/4 hours with such low confidence and my parents tried consoling me ever since about my AS Results and told me that it is never the end, next year you will shine and prove a lot more. Teachers have consoled me and have told me that its just my potential is yet to come from me. I am willing to exceed and come out of my shell and start playing a big part in my A Level studies. My future and its what I want in Life. People have questioned on my ability, sometimes it takes me time to adapt and learn my mistakes. Thank you once again for building this confidence!:rolleyes:
I'm glad I could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed