ozzie2
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I will be starting sixth form after the summer, hopefully after getting the required GCSEs, and one of my options is Economics which I will probably do in uni. Therefore I am wondering if anyone could recommend some material to help me learn about the basics or something useful to the A level itself (I am on AQA btw if it helps). This could be books, videos, podcasts etc, as long as it will be useful to me. I know I will be learning about it over the 2 years, however this is a brand new subject and I would like to have some knowledge beforehand so I at least understand some things.

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully you can give me some guidance
username42
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ozzie2)
So I will be starting sixth form after the summer, hopefully after getting the required GCSEs, and one of my options is Economics which I will probably do in uni. Therefore I am wondering if anyone could recommend some material to help me learn about the basics or something useful to the A level itself (I am on AQA btw if it helps). This could be books, videos, podcasts etc, as long as it will be useful to me. I know I will be learning about it over the 2 years, however this is a brand new subject and I would like to have some knowledge beforehand so I at least understand some things.

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully you can give me some guidance
For a good introduction to economics I like Tim Harford's books, The Undercover Economist (mostly micro stuff) and The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (mostly macro stuff). They're a great introduction to economics as a subject, although they might not always be too relevant to your course. The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner is a good book about the history of economics - how different ideas developed, and the lives of some famous economists - although that's even less relevant to your course. You should also read the Economist or the FT and the economics section of a good newspaper (the Guardian and the Telegraph are both free online) for news that's relevant to economics.
ozzie2
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by username42)
For a good introduction to economics I like Tim Harford's books, The Undercover Economist (mostly micro stuff) and The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (mostly macro stuff). They're a great introduction to economics as a subject, although they might not always be too relevant to your course. The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner is a good book about the history of economics - how different ideas developed, and the lives of some famous economists - although that's even less relevant to your course. You should also read the Economist or the FT and the economics section of a good newspaper (the Guardian and the Telegraph are both free online) for news that's relevant to economics.
Thanks for the advice will definetly (did I spell that right) check them out.

Also got another question (probably not for this sub forum, buy someone may know the answer) how important is work experience? I searched for some online but it was hard to find any - most were for people in year 12. I will probably get some but was wondering about the importance of it for uni?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Search PajHolden on YouTube and watch his Economics videos. He is great at explaining the theoretical concepts and I can wholeheartedly say he massively helped me achieve my current A level Economics grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.58%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.74%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.46%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.33%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (215)
46.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed