trains or driving

Watch
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just went on a journey that would have only taken 3hrs by car but took seven on a train as all the changes etc added up the time. Has really put me off using trains in the future. What are your opinions on the relative advantages/disadvantages of the two.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The obvious advantage of course is you can have a drink if you're taking the train. If that's not a factor then usually it's whether you can park where you're going e.g. if I'm heading to London I would never drive, because I cba with the hassle.
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Train journeys on mainlines>fab.

Changing from local>regional..crap..
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I prefer trains for relaxation. Always end up driving for convenience though.
DontWantYourBloodMoney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As much as I absolutely detest Scotrail as a company (they operate most of the trains in Scotland), I must admit that I love travelling by train. Trains are one of the best environments to put on some headphones and read a book for a few hours, as you won't ever feel you're wasting time when travelling.
username971590
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i have a car but always use trains rather than drive :/ always ends up being same money in petrol and just removes the hassle of having to find a place to park
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Guy Secretan)
Just went on a journey that would have only taken 3hrs by car but took seven on a train as all the changes etc added up the time. Has really put me off using trains in the future. What are your opinions on the relative advantages/disadvantages of the two.
As has already been hinted at, it totally depends on the start and end points of the journey, and also the reason for travelling.
Trains can be great, and better than the car.
Trains can be crap, and worse than the car.
National Express coaches can also sometimes be an option, if the route and times work.
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only use the train when going into Croydon or London. So much quicker. Driving into London is a sure way to waste your whole day sitting in traffic rather than being on a 90 mph train.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yeah you can relax but it's stressful if you have to change as you are always worrying and they can be unreliable and things although they are safer and you can sleep listen to music. On my journey you has to change which added to the time.
Vixen47
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Trains are fine but cars are more comfortable. Public transport in London isn't fun during rush hour so when I work I'll definitely be driving in if I can get free parking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads