Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Fair enough, but morals can be very tricky. If we teach morals in school, whose morals do we teach? The teacher's morals? What if the teacher believes that people should have sex with whoever they want, whenever they want? What if the teacher is a strict Christian or Muslim? What if they believe in no sex before marriage? Most children aren't going to listen to that.

The only solution would be to have some kind of standardised moral code to be taught. But then you have the same problem - who thinks up this code? Do we all vote on it? What if the outcome reveals that most of us are homophobes? Then what should we teach?

I think the moral teaching should be down to the parents, but this isn't a perfect solution either as it ensures that prejudices and irrational views are forever passed down through the generations. But what else can be done?
    Therein lies the difficulty. Perhaps schools (and this is my personal belief) should stick to teaching geography and maths and leave moral upbringing to parents, grandparents, uncles/aunts, family friends, church, etc

You're never going to get a perfect solution but clearly what we have created is dysfunctional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Therein lies the difficulty. Perhaps schools (and this is my personal belief) should stick to teaching geography and maths and leave moral upbringing to parents, grandparents, uncles/aunts, family friends, church, etc

You're never going to get a perfect solution but clearly what we have created is dysfunctional.
    Indeed. And everyone thinks their personal set of morals is the best, and we all enjoy talking about it, so kids are having conflicting information coming at them from all angles. No wonder they're confused.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.