The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

interview impressions - pierced nose

hi,

Im an indian girl and im considering getting my nose pierced. Il just be wearing a small stud not a ring or anything crazy, do you think the interviewers on cambridge may look down on this in anyway or be put off me?

i would really appreciate any of your views on this!

Scroll to see replies

I shouldn't think it would affect you; despite the popular image of Cambridge academics, you've got to remember that these people are dealing with students all the time, so they're not going to be shocked or offended by something like a nose stud.
Reply 2
if you go in and knock them dead (not literally , as that would leave a somewhat sour taste in their mouths) with your arguments, they ought not to care what you look like! to play it safe, maybe don't go with something highly obtrusive.

if you were applying for something like medicine, would there be a hygine issue??????? (talking as a complete ignoramus here!)
Reply 3
There are people here with dreadlocks, nose piercings, tongue piercings and all sorts of bizarre people. I wouldn't worry about it too much
Reply 4
to be safe, why don't you just get the piercing after (and if) you are interviewed?
Reply 5
if I were to go into an interview in drag and was good enough for the place do you think they'd give me an offer?
Reply 6
I'm sure you might lol. I wouldn't see why anyone would like to do that, but as long as you've got the potential, then why not?
Reply 7
I'd imagine that it'd be fine. Obviously nobody has a direct line into the prejudices of whoever will be interviewing you, but I'd hope they would be professional enough to not be influenced by such things.
Also remember that not all interviewers will be old and/or conservative types!
britishgirl n17
Im an indian girl and im considering getting my nose pierced. Il just be wearing a small stud not a ring or anything crazy, do you think the interviewers on cambridge may look down on this in anyway or be put off me?

Why not wait until your interview is over ?
I have an Indian friend who had her nose pierced when she interviewed at Oxford; she is a student there now.

If you're Indian, it's a cultural thing, if they discriminate against take them to court!
Reply 10
shady lane
I have an Indian friend who had her nose pierced when she interviewed at Oxford; she is a student there now.

If you're Indian, it's a cultural thing, if they discriminate against take them to court!

so, if she gets rejected, it's because of her nose ring and hence the tutor is racist?
WokSz
so, if she gets rejected, it's because of her nose ring and hence the tutor is racist?

I didn't say that. And I never even mentioned the word "racism." People are so touchy!

Obviously there wouldn't be laws about discrimination if there wasn't a way for people to prove in court that they'd been discriminated against! Lawyers, a judge, and/or a jury determine whether an offense has been committed.

My point was, her wearing a nose ring at her interview being a problem is equivalent to a Jewish boy being told not to wear a yarmulke to an interview, or a Muslim girl being told not to wear her hijab. It's a cultural/religious practice to wear a nose ring so she should feel free to wear it.

In any case, Oxbridge shouldn't be discriminating against anyone based on a nose ring, regardless of their race. But particularly in this case.
shady lane
In any case, Oxbridge shouldn't be discriminating against anyone based on a nose ring

Shouldn't...
But it happens.
I have seen it happen.
Reply 13
In my opinion it shouldn't make any difference. However, some of the tutors are old traditionalists and you don't want to put anything (however trivial) in the way of getting an offer. I agree that it would be better to get it done after the interview.

I also think that old fashioned, traditionalist tutors would be more likely to find a nose ring aceptable on an Indian (as they would see that as traditional), rather than on an English student who they might think was trying to make some kind of anti-establisnment statement.
Reply 14
It may be an indication of how Oxford wants to present itself more than anything else, but the prospectus a few years ago pointedly had a girl with dyed hair, heavy makeup and lots of piercings (sort of punky, I guess) on the page about the English (I think) course.

Perhaps some really conservative tutors would be struck by it, but I'd be surprised if it had any bearing whatsoever on your application. I know it's rather different, but I wore really distressed jeans and trainers to my interview against the advice of my teachers and parents (I think my parents became convinced that I was doing to be deliberately subversive), and got an offer anyway.
What about two holes in each ear? I've got a long while to go before/if I get an interview, but should I play it safe and just wear one pair of earrings?
Reply 16
Epitomessence
What about two holes in each ear? I've got a long while to go before/if I get an interview, but should I play it safe and just wear one pair of earrings?

That shouldn't pose much of a problem as it's fairly normal. Personally, to play it safe I would just wear one pair.
WokSz
That shouldn't pose much of a problem as it's fairly normal. Personally, to play it safe I would just wear one pair.

Yup, I see your point. And this is getting really picky now, but should I wear smart studs or stylish hoops/danglies?
Reply 18
enlighten me: What are 'smart studs' and 'stylish hoops/danglies?'
Reply 19
while i know little about piercings, i do know that a nose piercing can be removed for 30 minutes at a time without the risk of serious nasal damage. having said that, would you considering removing the stud in the minutes preceding your interview and replace it soon after, taking the most hygenic of precautions, to avoid unsightly infections flowing from your nose.

i got home an hour ago and i am very very tired, there is no excuse for this post