Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well to simplify my situation which isn't the nicest, my mother told me she 'forgot' to fill out the form where she declares all income to the household (Which I used to live at because she threw me out and made me live on the street, only reason I had a house to live in was because I walked 50 miles to my aunts which wasn't done until 3 days after being kicked out which was only a few weeks ago) and that she didn't have the money to go and print the document any way because she has none....because she's a drug addict...and spends all of her money on weed.

So I've checked my student finance, the amount I'm going to get is hardly anything, my tuition fee's will be covered but I won't even be able to afford to live anywhere for a year, never mind the actual cost of living and everything I will need to study.

So what do I do now? I'm really upset, I worked so hard to self teach myself the A-Levels I sat to go to the University of Birmingham, and I've always wanted to study Mathematics, I have already told my family including my mothers that I have a place and will be starting soon so the humiliation there will be great. My grandparents were elated because I 'was' the first person in the family history to ever reach Higher Education, the rest either dropped out, became drug addicts, had children and decided to live on the dole or a mixture of all three!

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to the university maybe? Worst comes to worst, maybe you could defer until 2015 and get a part-time job?

ReputationRep:
    Ring Birmingham and speak to their student services/helpzone/finance team as soon as possible. You may be eligible for a loan/grant, and they will be able to help you contact student finance to see whether there is anything you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Call student finance I'm sure threes an option on student finance with having little to no contact with parents?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you need to contact the university ASAP and explain your situation. They may well be able to help you or give you some advice.

Secondly, there is still time to submit new information to student finance. If you can persuade your mum to fill out the forms (even if you have to print them, take them to her, and help her fill them out) then this may still be an option. Getting her to do this may also mean you are entitled to a bursary- so it really is worth doing if you can possibly manage it.

Alternatively, you may be able to defer a year, and get a job in order to save up some money for university- or you might be able to work alongside your course.

Talking to the university is your first step. They will have people available who are used to helping students from difficult backgrounds, and coming up with options to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the university immediately. They often have emergency loans / grants to get you started.

After that, contact student finance. If you are eligible for a grant you won't not get it because your mother refuses to fill out the form - it may take longer to get the proof, but they will give you the money. I'm not speaking from experience, so someone may correct me, but it would not make any sense for a parent to be able to deprive their child of help in this way.

Finally, it may be worth contacting a student union - they should be able to give you free advice. But do the above first.

Good luck. It will take a bit of administration, but I can't imagine you will be deprived of this chance on financial grounds so long as you speak to the right people.

And congratulations on your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Contact the university immediately. They often have emergency loans / grants to get you started.

After that, contact student finance. If you are eligible for a grant you won't not get it because your mother refuses to fill out the form - it may take longer to get the proof, but they will give you the money. I'm not speaking from experience, so someone may correct me, but it would not make any sense for a parent to be able to deprive their child of help in this way.

Finally, it may be worth contacting a student union - they should be able to give you free advice. But do the above first.

Good luck. It will take a bit of administration, but I can't imagine you will be deprived of this chance on financial grounds so long as you speak to the right people.

And congratulations on your A-levels.
    To be fair, SFE can be fairly useless and not always willing to help students in difficult situations. There may be other ways to prove your situation, but SFE are not always forthcoming or helpful. A lot of the things they do don't really make sense.

The university themselves are far more likely to be helpful, as they won't want to lose a good applicant at this late stage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.