Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went to my local careers office a few days ago with an idea of applying for RAF Police Officer, however the advisor recommended I try for an aptitude branch career and if I didn't meet the criteria the options would then be clearer for me. Unfortunately I only have a C in GCSE maths so my commissioned options are already limited. Should I go for an NC aircrew position with the idea of gaining a commission later? Is there a possibilty that very high aptitude scores would give you opportunities that you don't meet the requirements for?

Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    First things first, just go an do the aptitude tests. There's no point deciding exactly what to apply for until you know what you qualify for.

Take the tests and see how you score. You might open up a few more options for yourself and that is the time when you can start asking the kinds of questions you are today. On the other hand, you might not qualify for anything that you are interested in or anything at all, at which point you continue your application for Police Officer.

ReputationRep:
    Can you simply go and take the tests though? I was under the impression that you have to apply for a role before taking them.

ReputationRep:
    You need something in mind and something to aim for, yes. Ultimately though, the aptitude results will be the decider.

ReputationRep:
    RAF police is one of the highest score requirements if i remember right. I passed for everything but police on mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl25)
    RAF police is one of the highest score requirements if i remember right. I passed for everything but police on mine
    RAF Police is for airmen though, Police Officer is for officers. The clue is in the name

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see now
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Get your GCSE Maths re-sat and passed at a B or higher. You do not want to be applying if they will only take your qualifications 'on a case by case basis'. Then apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Get your GCSE Maths re-sat and passed at a B or higher. You do not want to be applying if they will only take your qualifications 'on a case by case basis'. Then apply.

Retaking it was my immediate thought, but after searching around and finding that it would cost me £400, as I already have a C grade, I'm even more confused.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.