Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    really stressed out because my firm rejected me, i called them up and they ended up giving me an offer and now insurance wont release me!

I have until 10Am tomorrow to accept my firms offer through clearing but cant!

Ive called my firm, insurance and UCAS thousands of times today and they all cant do anything about it!

IM STRESSED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessawills)
    really stressed out because my firm rejected me, i called them up and they ended up giving me an offer and now insurance wont release me!

I have until 10Am tomorrow to accept my firms offer through clearing but cant!

Ive called my firm, insurance and UCAS thousands of times today and they all cant do anything about it!

IM STRESSED
    Do you mean that your insurance uni hasn't got round to sending the release through, or that they are refusing to do so at all? What have UCAS advised?

(Original post by PQ)
    Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly have your insurance said? Have they refused to release you, or is there just a delay? Is the delay down to the university or down to UCAS?

If it's just a delay, things will take as long as they take, and you will just have to be patient. It's perfectly usual for it to take at least 24 hours to get released at this time of year.

If your insurance is really refusing to release you, not just being slow, then this is really poor practice, and UCAS should be able to do something about it. If this is the case, call UCAS back ASAP and explain exactly what is going on, and ask them what to do in this situation.

Hopefully everything will be sorted in time for you to accept your firm's offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Do you mean that your insurance uni hasn't got round to sending the release through, or that they are refusing to do so at all? What have UCAS advised?

Any ideas?

They told me to send an email to ask if I could be released but I doubt that ill receive it before tomorrow so I guess ill end up not going to university:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    What exactly have your insurance said? Have they refused to release you, or is there just a delay? Is the delay down to the university or down to UCAS?

If it's just a delay, things will take as long as they take, and you will just have to be patient. It's perfectly usual for it to take at least 24 hours to get released at this time of year.

If your insurance is really refusing to release you, not just being slow, then this is really poor practice, and UCAS should be able to do something about it. If this is the case, call UCAS back ASAP and explain exactly what is going on, and ask them what to do in this situation.

Hopefully everything will be sorted in time for you to accept your firm's offer.
    They're taking their time to reply to my email and I need to confirm my offer with my firm by tomorrow but Id prefer tonight tbh. Shall I just ring up UCAS and tell them that they're refusing to release?

ReputationRep:

Pretty sure that their response will be a delay as my insurance still hasnt even rejected or confirmed my offer! Its just blank and theyre telling me that theyre still 'processing' my results. How can they take that long when theyve had my results for a week... I doubt theyll even release me

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure that their response will be a delay as my insurance still hasnt even rejected or confirmed my offer! Its just blank and theyre telling me that theyre still 'processing' my results. How can they take that long when theyve had my results for a week... I doubt theyll even release me
    So your insurance is showing 'conditional' at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    So your insurance is showing 'conditional' at the moment?

yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    OK - then I think you need to get on the uni again, and this time ask/insist on speaking to someone senior so that your rejection can be processed ASAP. If they are still messing about, you can try phoning your new uni to explain the difficulty you are having and asking them for an extension on the deadline for entering your Clearing choice.

UCAS does have a mechanism for sending through a request to a uni for a decision either way within 24 hours, and can enforce a rejection if the uni doesn't respond. I think though that they generally don't do this until next week, but you can always ask them if they will - UCAS helpdesk call handlers do vary a bit and you might strike lucky and get someone sympathetic to your situation.

ReputationRep:
    OK - then I think you need to get on the uni again, and this time ask/insist on speaking to someone senior so that your rejection can be processed ASAP. If they are still messing about, you can try phoning your new uni to explain the difficulty you are having and asking them for an extension on the deadline for entering your Clearing choice.

UCAS does have a mechanism for sending through a request to a uni for a decision either way within 24 hours, and can enforce a rejection if the uni doesn't respond. I think though that they generally don't do this until next week, but you can always ask them if they will - UCAS helpdesk call handlers do vary a bit and you might strike lucky and get someone sympathetic to your situation.
    Ive just called them several times and theyre refusing to decline my application on the spot and aren't answering my email still. Very furious about the fact that they havent even bothered telling me whether I got in or not and now wont even release me.

My university has already given me an extension until tomorrow and thats why im freaking out

ReputationRep:
    Ive just called them several times and theyre refusing to decline my application on the spot and aren't answering my email still. Very furious about the fact that they havent even bothered telling me whether I got in or not and now wont even release me.

My university has already given me an extension until tomorrow and thats why im freaking out
    I think you'll have to try UCAS again to see if they can help you unblock this.

This sort of behaviour is really unacceptable. Try to stay calm and polite though I totally get why you are furious - I would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That is completely unfair of the university. While releasing can take a little while to process, the university absolutely shouldn't refuse to do it.

Call UCAS ASAP and explain the situation. I would hope in this situation, they would use their powers to force the university to release you. Then call your firm, explain you are totally committed to the offer, and UCAS are dealing with the situation, and hope they are sympathetic.

Also, please do name and shame the uni refusing to release you!

ReputationRep:
    My insurance just completely ignored me and gave me and offer instead of releasing me im so mad

ReputationRep:
    That is completely unfair of the university. While releasing can take a little while to process, the university absolutely shouldn't refuse to do it.

Call UCAS ASAP and explain the situation. I would hope in this situation, they would use their powers to force the university to release you. Then call your firm, explain you are totally committed to the offer, and UCAS are dealing with the situation, and hope they are sympathetic.

Also, please do name and shame the uni refusing to release you!

Ive called UCAS and theyve done nothing about it, I shouldve never put greenwhich as my insurance, didnt think id ever have to go there. Its too low on the charts for me tbh.

They ended up completely ignoring me and decided to give me an offer instead of releasing me, im so annoyed and i honestly dont know what to do

ReputationRep:
    can someone please help me as UCAS cant do anything and my insurance are obviously refusing like im beyond stressed
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    can someone please help me as UCAS cant do anything and my insurance are obviously refusing like im beyond stressed
    I refuse to process the fact that your insurance can't do anything. How rude of them. Are you speaking to the right people/department? You need to convey your annoyance over the phone quite emphatically because sometimes that's the only way people will listen. Let me know how it goes, we'll think of something

ReputationRep:
    There is a solution to this just start from the beginning. What universities? What courses? What were grade conditions? Term dates? Ect. Ect...

ReputationRep:
    UCAS are really the only people with the power to help you at this stage. Call them back and explain the situation in full- try to speak to someone senior if the person on the phone says they can't help.

If they say they can't help with the situation, ask what they suggest you do.

It may be worth contacting Greenwich again too. Explain clearly you don't intend to attend the university, and need to be released.

If no-one is willing to help you, I would consider getting legal advice if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, as I understand it, that's right - UCAS can't force Greenwich to release you, now that they have confirmed your place. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Head of Admissions - number here and making it clear that you won't be attending the university no matter what, so they might as well release you and quickly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.