Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got AAA yesterday in bio, chem and classics. Now i applied for biomed and met my AAA offer for Durham but I am now going to decline it and focus on med.

Ive undertaken work experience over the past few years and so i'm truly focused on doing med (dont know why i applied to biomed- moment of madness?)

Anyway, I was just wanting to know of any tips or advice anyone could give me to make this a very productive application gap year!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in AS and I just missed the grades the are required for me to apply to the university that I want to go to. Could I get a priority remark so that I could apply to university with my new remakrked grades? If not then when could I apply to get a normal remark? Do I have to wait till school starts and how long will that take?

Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbolton94)
    Got AAA yesterday in bio, chem and classics. Now i applied for biomed and met my AAA offer for Durham but I am now going to decline it and focus on med.

Ive undertaken work experience over the past few years and so i'm truly focused on doing med (dont know why i applied to biomed- moment of madness?)

Anyway, I was just wanting to know of any tips or advice anyone could give me to make this a very productive application gap year!

thanks
    Hello there! - I was a gap year applicant this time last year. I'll start by saying it was extraordinarily rewarding for me. I think I'll just tell you what I did and hopefully you can get some ideas from it.

So this time last year, I had just got my exam results. I immediately tried to get the UKCAT sorted and out of the way and primarily just did that for the first three weeks of my gap year! (I was never terribly good at it, so a lot of time went into it!)

Once I got the UKCAT out of the way, I next started two part-time jobs, one in a health-care setting which was working with cancer patients. I also tutored on the side to get some money! I then sorted all the necessary parts of my application and picked my universities. I also did things that I wanted to do, but never had the chance. For example, I did my grade 8 piano exam.

The rest of the year was really put towards interviews and whatnot and of course stressing about my application .

I didn't travel on my gap year, I spent it at home. Which had it pros and cons. All in all I really enjoyed the year, mostly due to my jobs! Learnt a lot and it was lovely to relax, earn a bit of money AND NOT WORRY ABOUT EXAMS. :banana:

Regrets: I would do some proper travelling if I had to do it again.

Congratulations on your exams and all the very best for your gap year!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Congratulations on your results! I don't know how helpful I'll be seeing as I haven't actually done the gap year yet, but I'm in the same position as you.

I've got a tutoring job for 3 days a week and I'm also volunteering at a hospice and hopefully learning sign language (which I've always wanted to do!)
    As well as continuing my volunteering at a care home.
    I'm hopefully going to finally learn how to drive in this year too!
    And if all goes well, I'll try to find some travelling opportunities (probably for after Easter time).

This, alongside preparing for my UKCAT which I'm doing in September, fixing my personal statement and looking at universities.

Other than that, I'm just going to see how it goes really. Hopefully some other more exciting opportunities will come throughout the year

Best of luck for your gap year and application! We have to keep positive and take the opportunities that come to us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .S.K.T.)
    Hello there! - I was a gap year applicant this time last year. I'll start by saying it was extraordinarily rewarding for me. I think I'll just tell you what I did and hopefully you can get some ideas from it.

So this time last year, I had just got my exam results. I immediately tried to get the UKCAT sorted and out of the way and primarily just did that for the first three weeks of my gap year! (I was never terribly good at it, so a lot of time went into it!)

Once I got the UKCAT out of the way, I next started two part-time jobs, one in a health-care setting which was working with cancer patients. I also tutored on the side to get some money! I then sorted all the necessary parts of my application and picked my universities. I also did things that I wanted to do, but never had the chance. For example, I did my grade 8 piano exam.

The rest of the year was really put towards interviews and whatnot and of course stressing about my application .

I didn't travel on my gap year, I spent it at home. Which had it pros and cons. All in all I really enjoyed the year, mostly due to my jobs! Learnt a lot and it was lovely to relax, earn a bit of money AND NOT WORRY ABOUT EXAMS. :banana:

Regrets: I would do some proper travelling if I had to do it again.

Congratulations on your exams and all the very best for your gap year!

Thank you loads for your reply! What you've said is pretty much what i was thinking but was so unsure hahaha. Yes I'm about to start UKCAT prep now! I've got a job already and i have volunteering on going at the weekends and i have more placements lined up so i should be busy!

Thanks again

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.