Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT - Landlord wants bank statements but I have no money watch

ReputationRep:
    Our landlord said the bank statements I used are invalid because there's no money in my account as shown by the statements to cover the rent.

The initial rent will be covered by the money in my parents account though.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Show them your parents bank statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locogooner)
    Our landlord said the bank statements I used are invalid because there's no money in my account as shown by the statements to cover the rent.

The initial rent will be covered by the money in my parents account though.

What should I do?
    Are you already living there? Or is this a potential landlord for a house you're hoping to move into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Are you already living there? Or is this a potential landlord for a house you're hoping to move into?
    potential landlord.

and I was unaware you could use someone else's bank statement even if they are the financier.

ReputationRep:
    Get your parents to transfer money to your account then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locogooner)
    and I was unaware you could use someone else's bank statement even if they are the financier.
    This isnt some legal requirement, it's just something your private landlord is requesting. you can use anything they will accept although usually a guarantor in full employment co-signing the tenancy is enough. I would never show my bank statements to a private individual.

ReputationRep:
    Very very common for landlord or letting agents to ask for bank statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    Very very common for landlord or letting agents to ask for bank statements.
    I've never come across it before. As I said; if you can prove employment or your guarantors can prove it then why would a bank statement be required? I could edit a bank statement to make it look like I was a millionaire if required, its not hard.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.