Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in doing a make-up and hair course at university next year but I'm really unsure on what uni is best. I'm thinking of Solent, LCF and UCB. I've been to an open day at Solent and I really liked the course but I've read reviews that it's more theory based and you only have 2 hours of make-up classes a week. I really like the sound of LCF because it's in London so it will be useful for contacts but I'm just really unsure. I also don't know how to start my portfolio and am wondering whether it would just be best to do a college course or apprenticeship.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by emmacbbirch)
    I am interested in doing a make-up and hair course at university next year but I'm really unsure on what uni is best. I'm thinking of Solent, LCF and UCB. I've been to an open day at Solent and I really liked the course but I've read reviews that it's more theory based and you only have 2 hours of make-up classes a week. I really like the sound of LCF because it's in London so it will be useful for contacts but I'm just really unsure. I also don't know how to start my portfolio and am wondering whether it would just be best to do a college course or apprenticeship.
    Are you talking about studio make-up? TBH I very much doubt many people in that job got there by doing a degree, it's bit of an odd route to go down. Work experience is generally what counts most in media so you should probably aim for a more vocational course, an apprenticeship, or perhaps even interning somewhere, I don't know.

Can't hurt to visit the unis you're interested in though, if you can't make it to an open day maybe call up and ask if they'll give you a quick tour? At least you'll have a better idea of your options after that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.