Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Next month I'm going to be moving into Halls of Residence (Deanery) to start my Multimedia Journalism degree at Solent and all the Facebook groups, Twitter posts and everything I can see for 1st years right now is about Freshers and these AAA Bands.

Unfortunately I don't drink, nor do I like partying/clubbing very much, but I know that Freshers is a time where lots of people make friends and meet everyone and I'm worried that if I don't end up doing all the events and going to clubs during Freshers Fortnight that I'll just be labelled as unsocial and I won't meet many people but then if I do go to these events I know that I won't be enjoying myself very much.

I've basically accepted the fact that I will have to go to a few of these clubbing events in an attempt to actually make friends but I was wondering if anyone knows of any activities/events during freshers that don't include going to a sweaty club and getting hammered??? Because all I can see right now is "RAVE" "BAR CRAWL" etc and I'm just a little concerned that by not drinking and not wanting to go to these things that I'll be a sort of outcast I suppose?

Also is there anyone reading this who possibly feels the same? (I don't suppose there will be)

ReputationRep:
    Not all of the AAA events are about drinking, it's just about having a good time. As long as you can do that sober and don't mind being around drunk people, it's not really a problem.

There's also societies which you can join which are against drinking, and you can socialize with people on your course. It should all be fine, just try to be approachable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    Not all of the AAA events are about drinking, it's just about having a good time. As long as you can do that sober and don't mind being around drunk people, it's not really a problem.

There's also societies which you can join which are against drinking, and you can socialize with people on your course. It should all be fine, just try to be approachable.
    I think I'm going to wait until they announce more details about the events before I go ahead and buy one then, because I've done the whole "be sober around drunk people" thing and although I can tolerate it, it's not really my idea of a "good night"

Yeah I've been thinking about joining a society too, so I'll give that a little more thought! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with going out to all those events you mentioned and not drinking. Do as you please, if people can't deal with the fact that you don't want to get drunk every night then they're not worth being with. I know you said that clubbing/etc isn't really your thing at all, but if you do go to any of the events: You can have a perfectly good time at them while not drinking alcohol. You won't be the only one.

Definitely join a society (or multiple societies). It provides a way to meet people away from the clubs/alcohol.

PS spending time with drunk people when sober can be highly entertaining. I recommend trying it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adfu)
    PS spending time with drunk people when sober can be highly entertaining. I recommend trying it!
    Agreed haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adfu)
    There's nothing wrong with going out to all those events you mentioned and not drinking. Do as you please, if people can't deal with the fact that you don't want to get drunk every night then they're not worth being with. I know you said that clubbing/etc isn't really your thing at all, but if you do go to any of the events: You can have a perfectly good time at them while not drinking alcohol. You won't be the only one.

Definitely join a society (or multiple societies). It provides a way to meet people away from the clubs/alcohol.

That's true I suppose. To be fair, I think I've been clubbing like... once in my nineteen years of life, so I may find it fun, I don't even know but I don't imagine I will be doing it as a regular thing or "16 nights in a row" like the AAA bands are advertising.

I think I'm almost certainly going to join at least one society, it sounds like a good idea to find people who have the same interests at least.

Haha! Yes, I've spent time with drunk people whilst sober and I have to admit, it has been quite amusing!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.