Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1 in 4 students now live in purpose built student accommodation! I LIKE HOUSES watch

ReputationRep:
    I know there are private halls popping up everywhere but what happened to the 'real' university experience? I feel that living in a house, managing your bills and learning to live with others is as valuable as the academic element of university!

Article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motash)
    I know there are private halls popping up everywhere but what happened to the 'real' university experience? I feel that living in a house, managing your bills and learning to live with others is as valuable as the academic element of university!

Article
    The world changes.

40 years ago plus, the real university experience involved a landlady cooking you bacon and eggs every morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motash)
    You remind me of an Education Minister who wanted all children to be better than average

It would be very unusual for students now or in the past to live out of halls in 1st year - that is roughly 1 in 3 students (33%) so 1 in 4 (25%) seems quite low to me

When I went to university (30 years ago) we tended to live in halls 1st and last (67%) or - in campus based universities all 3 years

So, in short, 1 in 4 is very few imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You remind me of an Education Minister who wanted all children to be better than average
    That's the problem with the teaching profession. Low expectations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    That's the problem with the teaching profession. Low expectations.
    Yep - that's me in a nutshell

ReputationRep:
    Should be closer to 1 in 3 really. I think you should be in halls for the first year and a house for the 2nd and 3rd year.

Also remember student houses take away potential homes for the locals so they get a bit annoyed when there's tons of student homes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.