The Student Room Group

French AS Edexcel results

My whole French class got much lower results than we were expecting, which was a nasty shock. Was this the same for everyone else? And what AS and A2 results did people get who wanted to study foreign languages?
Original post by pamplemousse09
My whole French class got much lower results than we were expecting, which was a nasty shock. Was this the same for everyone else? And what AS and A2 results did people get who wanted to study foreign languages?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the languages forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=98

I do AQA German, and I think generally most people got what they were predicted/got below what they predicted. I don't think anyone was overly impressed by their results :/ But just bear in mind tat a lot of people do retake their AS languages exams in year 13 and do much better; at my school last year there were five year 13s doing German, of which three retook the speaking exam and four retook the listening/reading/writing. I think it's just because the jump from GCSE to A-level I so massive, especially in terms of the high levels of debating and spontaneity required. Don't worry about it, I think it's a pretty common thing, and universities will realise that and they know that A-level languages are very hard! Don't let it get you down because it happens to many many languages students, who find their A* in a GCSE language is nothing in terms of the crazy difficulties of A-level languages!

:smile:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the results in your class! Are you going to request remarks? By 'much lower', what do you mean? I just got my A2 results last week and I am bitterly disappointed - I have been denied the A* by 7 marks. I have my script back and their marking is absolutely horrific.

I did French and German on Edexcel, both at A2 level. I will be studying languages at uni. These are my results:
AS German - B (159 UMS)
A2 German - A* (190 UMS)

AS French - A (196 UMS)
A2 French - A (169 UMS)

Looking at my German grade, if your French wasn't what you were expecting then don't give up hope! As long as you have a B grade or a high C then I wouldn't suggest it would be worth retaking anything.

I hope you get the results you deserve! :smile:

I just got my AS results, and my lowest grade was French. No one was expecting it (I did AS Maths, that should have been the lowest!!) and we've decided I'm going to retake Unit 1.
The grade boundaries did seen strict, and I remember saying that the paper was difficult.
I did French and Spanish AS, which are the 2 I want to do at uni. The main thing is that we can change these first grades- it doesn't mean we are going to get that mark next year! Apart from that, there's not really much else to do...
Best of luck! :biggrin:
Original post by chloevictoria
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the results in your class! Are you going to request remarks? By 'much lower', what do you mean? I just got my A2 results last week and I am bitterly disappointed - I have been denied the A* by 7 marks. I have my script back and their marking is absolutely horrific.

I did French and German on Edexcel, both at A2 level. I will be studying languages at uni. These are my results:
AS German - B (159 UMS)
A2 German - A* (190 UMS)

AS French - A (196 UMS)
A2 French - A (169 UMS)

Looking at my German grade, if your French wasn't what you were expecting then don't give up hope! As long as you have a B grade or a high C then I wouldn't suggest it would be worth retaking anything.

I hope you get the results you deserve! :smile:

Sorry - only just seen these posts now but thank you for your response. I was just into the A grade boundary in my speaking, and about 8 marks off in my listening/reading/writing, which should have been my better paper. Not too bad, hopefully I can resit and boost them up, but the people in my class got B C D E instead of A B B C.

It's reassuring to hear that you managed to improve from a B to an A*! Well done! What uni did you get into, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I do AQA German, and I think generally most people got what they were predicted/got below what they predicted. I don't think anyone was overly impressed by their results :/ But just bear in mind tat a lot of people do retake their AS languages exams in year 13 and do much better; at my school last year there were five year 13s doing German, of which three retook the speaking exam and four retook the listening/reading/writing. I think it's just because the jump from GCSE to A-level I so massive, especially in terms of the high levels of debating and spontaneity required. Don't worry about it, I think it's a pretty common thing, and universities will realise that and they know that A-level languages are very hard! Don't let it get you down because it happens to many many languages students, who find their A* in a GCSE language is nothing in terms of the crazy difficulties of A-level languages!

:smile:

There is a really massive jump between GCSE and A-level, I agree. Hopefully we'll be able to follow the trend and improve :smile:
Original post by MiniMacaroon
I just got my AS results, and my lowest grade was French. No one was expecting it (I did AS Maths, that should have been the lowest!!) and we've decided I'm going to retake Unit 1.
The grade boundaries did seen strict, and I remember saying that the paper was difficult.
I did French and Spanish AS, which are the 2 I want to do at uni. The main thing is that we can change these first grades- it doesn't mean we are going to get that mark next year! Apart from that, there's not really much else to do...
Best of luck! :biggrin:

Yeah, my friend got a D in Maths which is her worst subject and a D in French which is one of her best! I think it shook my confidence a bit tbh, as it's my best subject and my teacher didn't know why we hadn't done as well and neither did we. Fingers crossed for next year!
Yeah, my friend got a D in Maths which is her worst subject and a D in French which is one of her best! I think it shook my confidence a bit tbh, as it's my best subject and my teacher didn't know why we hadn't done as well and neither did we. Fingers crossed for next year!

My teacher's now looked at my paper and said that the essay was marked very harshly- maybe this was the same for a lot of people, so I'm gonna try and get it remarked now, as I was so close to the next grade (one mark!!!). Best of luck for next year!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending