shrn
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm planning on continuing Maths for A2
I have done physics for AS and well my grades were beyond terrible, if that helps with why M1 may not be good. But it would also mean that I know the basics.
I'm also worried about taking D1 because it sounds like a really tacky subject where, similar to S1, marks can get taken away really easily.

any pros/cons for taking either?

Thanks in advance
purple-duck
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
For the physics do you think you struggled mostly with the physics/explain-y/write-y parts, or just the plain maths?
If the former then I'd probably recommend M1 still - From what I remember it's fairly simple algebra, part of it is conceptualising different situations/knowing what to use when (if that makes sense)

For D1 I know a lot of people who ended up not revising so much for it - there's a lot more to remember I'd say than there is for M1 (algorithms and other stuff, can't remember exactly) - and they ended up therefore not doing so well in it.
However, I'd say that if you can remember the stuff/revise efficiently/enough for D1 then it's all pretty basic/easy, at least in my experience.

But yes I suppose D1 is more similar to S1 than M1 is, in that there are some word-y answers IIRC (*glares at words*)

Hope this helps in some way!
shrn
Rep:
(Original post by purple-duck)
For the physics do you think you struggled mostly with the physics/explain-y/write-y parts, or just the plain maths?
If the former then I'd probably recommend M1 still - From what I remember it's fairly simple algebra, part of it is conceptualising different situations/knowing what to use when (if that makes sense)

For D1 I know a lot of people who ended up not revising so much for it - there's a lot more to remember I'd say than there is for M1 (algorithms and other stuff, can't remember exactly) - and they ended up therefore not doing so well in it.
However, I'd say that if you can remember the stuff/revise efficiently/enough for D1 then it's all pretty basic/easy, at least in my experience.

But yes I suppose D1 is more similar to S1 than M1 is, in that there are some word-y answers IIRC (*glares at words*)

Hope this helps in some way!
Thank you so much for the reply!

I think I struggled most with the word-y answers. Which really put me down this year, since the papers seem to be changing into more word-y questions rather than maths.

I got a C for S1, so that's why Im just scared D1 will let me down a bit.

Questions wise (without considering that I did physics/ remember things well) which would be the easier subject to take to score higher marks in? Just your opinion.
Jakeh
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
D1 is certainly easier than M1 if you dont get physics. I didnt "get" m1 and struggled a lot but those who did smashed the exam and its easy to ace.

Virtually if you work at both you will do ok but if you didnt really get physics id choose d1
michaelhemmings
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you are good at working quickly and enjoy mind numbing repetition then D1 is the one for you. M1 is harder but it's so much more rewarding. It's a lot more 'real world' maths which I loved. I too did Physics and M1 was a lot more in depth (my Physics syllabus went easy on the Mechanics) but as I say I actually enjoyed working the questions out. All of my friends said that D1 was easy but effing boring and that they don't give you enough time in the exam so you have to work quickly.
29Bilal96
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did D1, got 97 UMS and found it pretty easy...it depends though, I got a B overall in FM, kinda flopped S2 big time, but it's not really that maths-based. It sounds kinda weird, but there's a lot of drawing and stuff . I know people who got full marks in their other 5 maths exams but didn't do great in D1, so it depends somewhat. Yup it is easy to drop marks, but I reckon if you focus, then it should be okay...ooh and timing is key for D1 as well.
username1461349
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'd say have a look at M1 before making your mind up. There are a lot of people in mechanics who can just do it with little revision and so if it doesn't feel comfortable with you from the start maybe you should consider D1 more thoroughly.
( Take it as advice. Though, It's your decision and I think you should look over thoroughly how the decision modules work vs how the mechanics modules )

The syllabus in D1 is new to everyone. I would say there is less thinking on your feet than M1 but more strict rules you must follow. The decision modules are very easy to fall and lose grades on but that being said the syllabus is very vivid and clear. I'd personally say D1 is easier but you will have to learn what the examiner is looking for very clearly. If you don't skim over D1 and don't assume it's too easy you will be able to distinguish yourself in terms of marks very easily.
Basit2010
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Just finished sixth form and I did M1 in my AS year and got 95 and did D1 in my A2 year and got 93.. Both my applied module marks are higher than any of my core marks.

I'd say I worked pretty much the same for M1 and D1, watched all the exam solution videos/ made notes / did past papers from 2004. (took 2-3 weeks max, did no exersize questions from the book at all. ). M1 is a really fun module once you get the hang of it whereas D1 is not, even though D1 may seem to be very straight forward, remember that it is a method paper and you hardly get ecf marks so even one mistake can make an A grade into a B grade because boundaries are always so high. With M1 many people don't understand the concepts so the boundaries are usually low.

in terms of relativity neither of these modules helped me with my other subjects, but have to say getting a high mark in M1 felt so much more rewarding than getting a high mark in D1. Sort of gave me the confidence to do well in maths..

Take it as you will, if I had a choice I'd do M1 all over again..
juliam
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
D1 is easier, but M1 is far more interesting!
purple-duck
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shrn)
Thank you so much for the reply!

I think I struggled most with the word-y answers. Which really put me down this year, since the papers seem to be changing into more word-y questions rather than maths.

I got a C for S1, so that's why Im just scared D1 will let me down a bit.

Questions wise (without considering that I did physics/ remember things well) which would be the easier subject to take to score higher marks in? Just your opinion.
Words are not good :no:

I personally found M1 easier in terms of marks/revision time, probably. I think if you're happy with normal core maths then M1 would be more straight forward - but as others have said D1 is easier, sort of - but requires more work/is a bit odd.

(I realise now that M1 was in fact my joint lowest mark... but was still easy/good, and still got a good mark! )
student261
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Don't take decision it's even more boring than stats. Even though people say it's the easiest I got my lowest marks in d1 and d2 because I just couldn't bring myself to revise it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
M1 is so much fun though I'd say it's probably harder
jon5579
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol I'm in the exact same situation.

I loathe maths, I see it as a means to an end. I got a C at AS but that's because I flopped the Statistics exam (Got an E) which I can resit and get a B easily. I do Computer Science, and I've noticed a substantial amount of D1 appears to overlap with Computer Science. While I've always been decent/good at the mechanical side of physics (I don't do AS physics) I was considering asking my maths teachers if I can do D1 instead of M1 for A2 as I feel I could do it over the remainder of this summer (What bits I don't know) and thus focus on the much harder C3 and C4 when they come along.
MissCat
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I have just got my AS results back for M1, D1, S1, C1, C2, C3 and Physics (I got As with 92 in mechanics and 95 in decision). I was on OCR for Physics and the first exam was basically M1 with extra words. Personally I hated D1 when I started it because to me it didn't feel like 'proper' maths, I preferred the core and further modules. D1 is all about remembering a set method/algorithm for a specific question - it is usually very clear what they are asking you to do. All the questions from past papers are very similar so once you learn how to do an algorithm (they aren't difficult) you just need to perfect it so that you don't throw away marks (i.e. if you muck up one number you're screwed). I generally would say that there are nastier questions in M1 but it is also more challenging and fun. It's up to you if you want to choose a subject that is completely new or use your physics knowledge to get a head start. Generally people did better in M1 than the Physics mechanics exam so don't worry about that but also D1 is nothing like S1, there are a few definitions to memorise but that's it. In the D1 questions it is more obvious what you have to do whereas in S1 I'd say that you have to think a lot more! D1 is definitely easier to get good marks but to be honest just look at the textbooks and choose what you think you would be better at and would enjoy more!
shrn
Rep:
THANK YOU everyone for all your responses, its a mixture of both and Im really glad to have gotten the useful information you have all given me.
I think I will look into this a bit further perhaps a past paper or actually just learning the first unit of each and see where I flow much better. But right now I think Im going to stick with D1 seeing that my physics really let me down this year and have finally realised it wasn't the subject for me despite the fact that I loved it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
42.63%
The paper was reasonable (219)
43.03%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
9.04%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
5.3%

Watched Threads